Reminder: Microsoft to end support for Windows 7 in 1-year from today

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Oh lordy, lordy what shall we do! The sky will come crashing down, the poles will flip, a super volcano somewhere will go off and we may encounter a CME. All of which is a more liekly scenerio vs getting "hacked" or a virus without a patched system. You can update all you want, use UAC, and all that and you'll STILL get malware. I can guarantee it.

It will be seven to ten very long years before I use 10. And when I do I plan on using a hardware based firewall like PFsense to block all of M$'s ASNs and anything else I see emanating via SNMP from MY PC (Personal Computer) that shouldn't be. As it is, I don't use "updates" except a handful and in my opinion most serve to do nothing but cause issues, and lack real QC. I don't surf the Internet like a moron, scan all downloads at Virus Total, and use Sandboxie for my browser. In addition to that I use Faronics anti-executable because definition-based anti-virus is just that and won't stop polymorphic malware. Well, at least it tries, being cloud-based and all that. I also periodically clone my computer's as well so should disaster strike it will be like nothing ever changed for the most part. Did I mention I use FDE on everything? :ROFLMAO:

The whole you must use the latest and "greatest" is a fallacy if you ask me. I have a netbook that runs XP that's on 24/7 that serves as a local FTP server who's storage is a SD card, runs Phone Tray to zap telemarketers and do other things (I also deploy Robonomo), and it serves as my Kitchen Kiosk to look up recipes. This little beast, a Dell Mini 910 has been runing 24/7 for the last three or four years without much of a hiccup. Though I made the fatal mistake of keeping the page file on and since the flash storge has an infinite write capability, the drive bit the dust. So I bought a new flash drive and an extra 1 GB stick of RAM on eBay and disabled the page file. Good thing I had a clone of that sucker. The clone is actually on a thumb drive. To make a long story short. Despite only running a basic anti-virus (Immunet) and what have you, it's never been infected or been "hacked."

Bottom line, it's all in how you use your computer. Updates and new OS's not required. Unless you want to use new software, games and hardware of course. I find it nuts that you can't run a Kaby with Win 7 and not get updates because M$ refuses to support it. So there's a patch at Github that fixes that. Then with Coffee Lake it's the same thing, but I think it's worse. Rich Uncle Penny Bags (the Monopoly guy) would be proud.

Full disclosure. I haven't used updates since I ran Windows 98se and I only got one virus, and that was bunk since I ran asinine AVG and it didn't even do anything.

If you use a server, then updates are more important since you have public facing ports. And I know the NSA will pry open even the smallest in a flaw on a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.