Remote speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigray246

I would like to use the earphone jack for a remote speaker and or a speaker mike. Is there a trick to get earphone jack to full volume on a PSR500? I remember on many older scanners you were able to un-solder a wire to restore full volume. Is this the same here or is it a software issue? Has anybody tried this? I have converted an old Midland speaker mike to terminate to a 1/8 plug but you cant here it. Ray

LEH

Premium Subscriber
There have been several threads on this topic posted in the past, a couple fairly recently.

I think the general point is that the newer scanners have been 'fixed' so that bypassing the earphone resistor would cause other problems.

The suggested method is to use an amplified speaker. You might want to search for the other articles.

hoser147

On the Pro 96,95 and several other RS models by GRE you could use a small wire and short the earphone jack across to the antenna and it would open the speaker vol up. NOT SURE ON THE 500 thou Best bet would be to do as Lynn stated and go with the Amplified speaker. Hoser

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
On the Pro 96,95 and several other RS models by GRE you could use a small wire and short the earphone jack across to the antenna and it would open the speaker vol up. NOT SURE ON THE 500 thou Best bet would be to do as Lynn stated and go with the Amplified speaker. Hoser

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=4124

I have done this mod on my 500 without any problems. If you don't mind voiding you warranty, you can do this instead:

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=3412

LEH

Premium Subscriber
http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=4124

I have done this mod on my 500 without any problems. If you don't mind voiding you warranty, you can do this instead:

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=3412

Eric,

Thanks for the links, but when I try them it tells me it cannot identify me. So I am assuming that I have to register to see these mods. Correct?

Having gone through a major hassle with a link to an unfamiliar site from Europe (though America isn't much better) once, I am very leery of registering on a new site.

bigray246

remote speaker.

OK I can't get into this site either. It refuses to give me a password. Can you tell me how the mod. is done? Ray

hypersight

Yeah, mods.dk is a real PIA. They make you register, and then after you registered you are only allowed to view one mod per day. But if you pay them $$$ you can have unlimited access to all the mods.

Anyways, the mod is the same as the PRO96/97; Just use a paper clip or thin wire and jump the ground of the earphone jack to the BNC connector. You can do this by wrapping the wire around the BNC and then wrap it around the ext speaker plug before you plug it in the scanner. This will bypass the attenuation on the audio output . Of course you can do the same thing on the inside of the radio by soldering a jumper to the same parts.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Let's Try This...

As written by KC9BZX, and grossly plagiarized by me from mods.dk;

The Radio Shack Pro-97 headphone jack only allows approximately 30% of the receivers audio through it, to protect your hearing when using an earpiece. This however, makes it impossible to use an eternal speaker with the unit, as the audio signal is greatly reduced through the headphone jack and may sound distorted when the volume is turned up.

To obtain crisp, clean, loud audio using an extension speaker, follow these simple directions:

Remove batery cover and battery case from unit.

Remove 4 black screws from back of radio case and remove entire cover casing from back of radio.

Gently remove main circuit board by gently pulling upward until the board "unplugs" from front board.

Turn board over, board will remain attached to front by black and white speaker wire. For simplicity, this can also be unplugged.

Create a jumper using a small bead of solder between the small metal tab on the headphone jack and the grounded plate above it.

Reassemble radio.

This will give you full audio from the headphone jack, permitting you to use a external speaker on the unit.

NOTE: Be cautious when using an earpiece after performing this modification, as the modification will now permit the full amount of audio to be transmitted to the earpiece, possible harming your hearing.

This mod works on the PSR-500, and probably the PSR-300 and PRO-164 as well. Of course, you can probably kiss the warranty goodbye. This mod is done at your own risk. Be careful!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.