Remove cellular lockouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogoth13

Since conventional cell service was discontinued last month when will we see a firmware that removes the cell lockouts. Rebranding will require it. Ideas?

mancow

Database Admin
Rebanding will not require it. Also, it's still a law that is place and there is no incentive for anyone to change it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Rebanding does not involve moving anything "into" or "out of" the cell band.. it is a shuffling of the 851 to 869 part of the spectrum, which is already available on scanners.

There's nothing to hear in the 824-851 or 869-895 part of the band anyway. It's like arguing for the 600MHz part of the spectrum to be "opened up" on scanners.

InDICa

Jay911 said:
There's nothing to hear in the 824-851 or 869-895 part of the band anyway. It's like arguing for the 600MHz part of the spectrum to be "opened up" on scanners.

The cell band does still work in some large city's in North America.
Starts at 885.5700-893-8500 (on my Icom-R5)
And they are picked up by my PSR-500 also which makes the radio lock on to these image frequencies very strong CMR signals in Sweep mode or search mode in the 800MHz range. I lock them out but they change every day!

Also local TV crews can open up a frequency in the CMR range to do live TV broadcasts,Live events and my local police in my area use it at times also in rare cases. So to say it's dead? I guess it depends on your Location.But hopefully in 2009 it should all come to a end! So my PSR-500 won't lock on to CMR image frequencies that would be great! :)

Astrogoth13 said:
Since conventional cell service was discontinued last month when will we see a firmware that removes the cell lockouts. Rebranding will require it. Ideas?
Cell companies were allowed to "Voluntarily" discontinue analog cell transmissions in Feb '08 if they chose to, before that date they were required to maintain their analog channels, & could not shut them off, even if they wanted to..
There are still some areas of the country where cell companies have not yet turned off their analog channels yet, due to costs, or roaming revenue, or other reasons...
The band itself is still fully used & allocated for digital GSM, & CDMA spread spectrum cellular signals, so there is nothing for an analog or APCO digital scanner to even lock onto there......(If you are hearing Police or TV crews on 869-894Mhz, it's some image reception of another frequency, only cell companies are authorized in that band), , & as mancow mentioned, a change in federal law would be required to allow scanner mfgrs to include this portion of spectrum. ReBanding also will have no effect on the blocked cellular portion of 800Mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:

InDICa

Hello, Advanced-Specialties-Inc

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Canada,and in a city of 3 million people there are still many analog signals of CMR.I tested it out on a unblocked Icom- R5 so it's not a image reception of another frequency.
Police and TV crews on 869-894Mhz still can open up a frequency if they like,maybe not in the USA.But in my city they do. Are laws are slack compared to yours. :)

I know USA law is very strict on the CMR band and block it out,but on my PSR-500 it does pick up image frequencies of the CMR band and they are Digital/Analog phones,when they drop out of range of a Digital tower,it switches over to analog until it finds another digital tower.They don't tell you this unless you ask about it.When you buy your digital phone.And so places off Island have no Digital as of yet.So analog is what they get,until
they can reach a Digital tower.

I guess my city is way behind! Compared to the rest of North America and by the looks of it re-banding in my city will be the last on the list to do so.Really glad that the PSR-500 does support Re-Banding whenever it does come to my city!

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
InDICa said:
Hello, Advanced-Specialties-Inc

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Canada,and in a city of 3 million people there are still many analog signals of CMR.I tested it out on a unblocked Icom- R5 so it's not a image reception of another frequency.
Police and TV crews on 869-894Mhz still can open up a frequency if they like,maybe not in the USA.But in my city they do. Are laws are slack compared to yours. :)

I know USA law is very strict on the CMR band and block it out,but on my PSR-500 it does pick up image frequencies of the CMR band and they are Digital/Analog phones,when they drop out of range of a Digital tower,it switches over to analog until it finds another digital tower.They don't tell you this unless you ask about it.When you buy your digital phone.And so places off Island have no Digital as of yet.So analog is what they get,until
they can reach a Digital tower.

I guess my city is way behind! Compared to the rest of North America and by the looks of it re-banding in my city will be the last on the list to do so.Really glad that the PSR-500 does support Re-Banding whenever it does come to my city!

who sells phones with both analog and digital these days? My last samsung did it, but my current one (almost three years old :mad: ) is digital only. The verizon store had NO dual-band (A/D) phones at all in their catalog when I bought this phone 2.5+ years ago. I asked and even checked the specs with my own eyes. (no way do I take the word of some salesdork trying to tell me about how many ringtones and live TV I can watch on the thing for only $200 extra a month:roll: )

Maybe nextel? They have always kind of done their own thing in regards to cellular anyways. At least you could hold their phones between ear and shoulder, but at the expense of brain cancer with their 3w analog handset output:confused:

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DanTSX said:
There is nothing to hear there anyways.

exactly, and IF for some reason you do pick something up you will only be hearing 1 side of the conversation

InDICa

Hello DanTSX,

No need to worry unless you live in Canada,since the service that drops in to the analog band is a Canadian based Company so no need to worry about people listening in on your phone calls.But your Digital only cell phone would not work in my city.Your call would be cut-off due to the fact you have a digital only phone.And you need analog in certain parts of the in city or up north and parts off the Island. Or you get cut-off.

I was shocked to hear that CMR band is still so active in analog.I also thought everything was pretty much digital or out of the 800Mhz range,until I put my PSR-500 in sweeper mode and it was picking up analog cell phone calls.

Tested it with my Icom which does have the correct step 30 for CMR,and it's just non stop talking very boring stuff! And you hear both sides of the conversation and sometimes just the person stuck out of range of the digital tower so it would be one way at times.Just wish they would get rid of it! They say by 2009 it should be digital,but they sure are taking there time.

Much more action on Police,Fire,EMS,and Airport OPS and my PSR-500 just works like no other scanner I have owed in over 30 years! Reception is just amazing! On Digital and Analog trunking. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.