Rensselaer County MultiNet no longer trackable

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Something has been changed in the datastream for Rensselaer County's MultiNet trunked system. Until about 2 weeks ago, it could be tracked using 2 scanners and LTRTrunker software. No more. Now LTRAnalyzer and LTRDump both give CRC errors on every data transmission. Evidently, however, the system still works fine for its users.

There was a vague rumor floating around that some such change was planned, but nobody had any details. Now the deed is done.

Anyone have any technical info on a new MultiNet variant that does not seem to require reprogramming all of the users' radios?

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
dave this very rumor you have heard is very much true the systems have been changed. dave if you pm me ill give you the corrected info.

Com-Tech51H8

Premium Subscriber
im more than willing to share alls you have to do is ask and you shall recieve or tell me what your problem is and ill try to help correct it.

D

DaveNF2G

I received info from another source who requested that I keep it to myself until June 5.

However, that document does not explain why the trunked system cannot be tracked any more.

gcr33

Why are you keeping this to yourselves? Just being stubborn or want an exclusive on your site rather than sharing it here?

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
SRLFD-613 said:
im more than willing to share alls you have to do is ask and you shall recieve or tell me what your problem is and ill try to help correct it.

DaveNF2G said:
I received info from another source who requested that I keep it to myself until June 5.

I think you need to read the messages.Seems to me your are just starting trouble.If you want the information send a message and ask for it.......

D

DaveNF2G

Exactly. I have been entrusted with "inside" information that has little chance of becoming "public" for at least another week, I presume when the document in question has been distributed for a training session.

Com-Tech51H8

Premium Subscriber
if your looking for trouble its not here in this fourm we are kind here dont take advantge of our kindness ie info.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

A little further on the problem.

The trunked channels (all 5 of them) are still receivable on their listed frequencies in conventional mode. They are also still analog, so there are no P25 related issues and the trunked channels have not been rebanded.

It appears as if something in the CC datastream has been changed. Whatever it was happened all at once and did not require mass servicing of user radios to keep the system running.

gcr33

But still more than a week later and no "insider" info. Not that I can listen but it sure seems funny that comments were made about having to wait a week for some inside info.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The first thing that comes to mind is extended addressing. Not sure why Rennsellaer County would need it, but could be get all the last upgrades before EFJ starts cutting support.

The MBTA EDACS system in Boston uses extended addressing and had the same effect on the tracking software, FWIW.

D

DaveNF2G

I was asked to withhold info until June 5.

When I have time after June 5, I will update my website.

Of course, a new quarter of grad school just started, so website updates will be on the back burner for a while.

gcr33

Wow secret squirrel information that only certain people can have. Don't you love it on a scanner thread.
It's like I know and I want you to know that I can but you cannot because you are not my tight buddies.

D

DaveNF2G

Do you get snippy with the news media when they are briefed by, say, the Defense Department on condition that certain info is released after a certain time and they actually adhere to the agreement? Official insider sources will not be forthcoming with any information if the recipients cannot be trusted to keep their word.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Do you get snippy with the news media when they are briefed by, say, the Defense Department on condition that certain info is released after a certain time and they actually adhere to the agreement? Official insider sources will not be forthcoming with any information if the recipients cannot be trusted to keep their word.

Well, in all seriousness then, why even tell us you "have" the information in the first place?

GCR kinda has a point.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
To be fair, I think this all started with SRLFD-613's post of "if you pm me ill give you the corrected info". Making a public post like that is surely only going to lead to people asking "What's the big secret?!?" Dave's email address is readily available on his site, and the corrected info could've been sent to him quietly without announcing it.

On the other hand, I don't quite understand why a guy in Florida is so concerned with a system up here in NY! Now that's just a bit of teasing, because he may well have family in Rensselaer or may actually live there himself and just hasn't updated his profile. However, it seems like he's trying to stir things up in this thread more than anything else.

D

DaveNF2G

SRLFD-613 was not my source. If I want more info from the same source, then I should comply with whatever restrictions he or she imposes, shouldn't I?

Lindsay, all I meant to do was indicate that 1) info would be forthcoming on my website, subject to the above restrictions, 2) the corrected info does not address the original issue that started this thread, and 3) that I had received some updates from elsewhere, for SRLFD-613's benefit.

Other than that, I have to agree with rescue6's assessment. I have similar questions that I have not posted in order to avoid the appearance of flaming another user, even though he only seems to be stirring the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.