Reorganized listening posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Was in a thrift store yesterday when I saw a nice computer desk for only $10. I've been looking for a second desk to put some of my scanners and handi-talkies on, and I knew that it would be perfect for my needs. The little table I was using had gotten too small for all I had on it. Spent this morning working getting this organized and this is the final result.....

This is my main desk where I do most of listening and web surfing. Pictured here are my PSR-800, Baofeng UV-5RC, Baofeng UV-3R, Home Patrol 1 and my BCT15X

Close up of the HP-1 and the 15X

Close up of the PSR-800, UV-5RC and UV-3R (and the HP-1 again)

Secondary desk with additional scanners and my "base" 2mtr radio and handi-talkies

Close up of my PRO-163, BC355C and Yeasu FT2800M mobile being used as a base radio

Close up of KG-UVD1P, FDC150A, a second UV-3R, BC346XT, BC125AT, PRO-107, PRO-163, PSR-310 and my KA1102 short wave receiver

Assorted battery chargers, an old Realistic TRC-212 CB radio and my FRS radios

:)

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
What's your experience been with those Baofeng radios? What about the 3R? Looks very small...wondering how it'd do as a portable used mostly to monitor/scan...what's the audio like on it?

By the way...nice job on the setup!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Looks Nice, well organized.

Thanks. Appreciate the kind words.

What antenna is that on your 800?

It's a generic NA-701. Works well, even inside my bunker of an apartment building.

What's your experience been with those Baofeng radios? What about the 3R? Looks very small...wondering how it'd do as a portable used mostly to monitor/scan...what's the audio like on it?

By the way...nice job on the setup!

The Baofengs aren't too bad. The UV-5R's are, IMHO, better than the UV-3R's. Just picked up the 2mtr/220MHz 5RC. Works well on both bands. I know for sure it works better on 2mtr than my regular 5R. The UV-3R's are good if I'm close to the repeaters I'm shooting for. Output is only 2 watts, so I don't get a lot of distance out of them. They are good for short range simplex work when I'm out in the field. The audio on both models is surprisingly good. The volume can certainly be cranked up on either model.

They don't make good scanners however. The scan rate is quite slow. I've got local and Chicago PD freqs programmed into the 5R, but I hardly ever use it as a scanner with them. I'll just channel up/down to a desired channel, and park it on that one for a while.

Thanks for your kinds words; I appreciate them.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The Baofengs aren't too bad. The UV-5R's are, IMHO, better than the UV-3R's. Just picked up the 2mtr/220MHz 5RC. Works well on both bands. I know for sure it works better on 2mtr than my regular 5R. The UV-3R's are good if I'm close to the repeaters I'm shooting for. Output is only 2 watts, so I don't get a lot of distance out of them. They are good for short range simplex work when I'm out in the field. The audio on both models is surprisingly good. The volume can certainly be cranked up on either model.

They don't make good scanners however. The scan rate is quite slow. I've got local and Chicago PD freqs programmed into the 5R, but I hardly ever use it as a scanner with them. I'll just channel up/down to a desired channel, and park it on that one for a while.

Thanks for your kinds words; I appreciate them.

Thanks for the info on the Baofengs. Kind of what I was guessing would be the case on the scan rate. Guess it might not be bad if only wanting to scan 2 or 3 channels in certain situations, though. Oh well, I definitely appreciate the info and will keep it in mind should I decide to try one out!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
That's is a very impressive collection of scanners!! The PSR-800? Do you have a phase 2 system in your area? How's that work on it? Great setup!!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

That's is a very impressive collection of scanners!! The PSR-800? Do you have a phase 2 system in your area? How's that work on it? Great setup!!

Thanks.

When I bought the 800, I mainly bought it for its recording capability. Didn't give Phase 2 much of a thought. There is a Phase 2 system north of Chicago (NorthWest Central Dispatch), but I'm in the southern burbs and haven't been able to pick it up. I have everything for the system programmed into my 800 in the event I'm up that way at some point in the future. Unfortunately, all PD comms are encrypted, but it's my understanding that FDs and others are in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.