Replacement small rod for the AH-8000 discone antenna

fantasma25

Good afternoon, does anyone know where I can get a replacement rod for the AH-8000 discone antenna. It would be one of the small rods that is installed horizontally. I've searched but have not seen where they sell the single parts.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good afternoon, does anyone know where I can get a replacement rod for the AH-8000 discone antenna. It would be one of the small rods that is installed horizontally. I've searched but have not seen where they sell the single parts.

If you don't get any help from Icom, take one of the good rods off and take it to a machine shop. Would be easy enough for anyone with the right tools to cut a new rod the same length and thread it if needed.

paulears

One trick if You can't find the correct thing is to find some studding (threaded bar) the correct size to screw in, and then heat shrink it. If you also heat shrink the others, they'll all look the same.

merlin

Stock stainless metal rod in various diameters can be obtained at many hardware stores, home improvement stores, and steel supply.
Cut to length and often threadded for attachment can be done at any machine/fabrication shop.
On my discone, I changed two of the oposite rods and two ground plane rods, cut for 6 meters. Threadded on one end and a jam nut.
Works very well.
Being made in Japan, your rod is likely 3.5 or 4 MM and metric thread.

merlin

One trick if You can't find the correct thing is to find some studding (threaded bar) the correct size to screw in, and then heat shrink it. If you also heat shrink the others, they'll all look the same.
Called "all thread". I have made a couple UHF ground planes with it.