Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-500T (2nd Generation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

Hello, and somebody can lay out a program for programming. And then the link is no longer destructive

Which software; dealer or user?

Dealer/unlocker (Alinco DJ-500TB Front Panel Unlock). The ZIPped verson still seems to download.
http://www.mtcradio.com/downloads/

User (DJ-500 Clone Software v1.02); there is a v1.04 out there but I can't remember where at the moment. There's not much, if any, difference, AFAIK.
ALINCO

Last edited:

Rev_Pizzaguy

Does anyone have a copy of the DJ-500SetBand utility? The Russian alinco site doesn't seem to have that download hosted any longer.

I have a DJ-500T, but I am unable to set the mode via the button-press method at all.

Rev_Pizzaguy

I found a way to unlock the DJ-500T for anyone who is having trouble with the keypad method. You will need a programming cable for this so you can unlock it to be able to change the mode via the keypad.

Steps:
1. Download the DJ-500T software from MTC's website (https://www.mtcradio.com/content/softwaredownloads/DJ-500TB_1.04.zip)
2. Install the DJ500_SetOSetup_1.01.exe in the dealerware_DJ-500TB/Low power change folder in the zip file.
3. Launch the DJ_500SetO application.
4. Turn the radio on
5. Check the Freq. Set checkbox in the software
6. Click Write in the software

Once this is done, any pre-programmed frequencies you may have stored in memory will be wiped out, but you will then be able to use the PF1 + D, Power On method to change the mode from 01 -> 02 -> 03 -> 04.

FYI, the default mode on a DJ-500T is Mode 02.

Once you set the Mode to whatever you are wanting, you can then use the normal Alinco DJ_500_1.04 application to program in your frequencies again.

Attachments

• DJ500 unlock.jpg
    DJ500 unlock.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 319

Hans13

I didn't see your request before, otherwise, I would have replied.

Excellent write-up. Thanks for posting it. :)

Rev_Pizzaguy

No problem! It took me a bit of trial and error and researching to figure out how to do it. I love this radio, but there just isn't much documentation or a big support community like some of the big name units!

FYI, I used this $17 OPC478 cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092D3E8Q) to unlock the frequencies and program the radio with the Alinco software. I still do wish CHIRP was supported, but the Alinco software isn't completely terrible. At least it works!

elrod

Feel free to move this post if it is not in the right place.
I am a fairly new to ham radio about 6 months.
I am also a new owner of an Alinco DJ500T.
As of right now I have 3 ham repeaters and 2 local fire disp. channels programmed in.
My question is can you only monitor 1 channel at a time or is there a way to make it scan those 5 channels?

Thanks

Chuck

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
Feel free to move this post if it is not in the right place.
I am a fairly new to ham radio about 6 months.
I am also a new owner of an Alinco DJ500T.
As of right now I have 3 ham repeaters and 2 local fire disp. channels programmed in.
My question is can you only monitor 1 channel at a time or is there a way to make it scan those 5 channels?

Thanks

Chuck
In memory mode, press A (FUNC), then 5 (SCAN).
While scanning, turning the channel selector knob clockwise will cause the radio to scan UP in the channel list, and turning the channel selector knob counter-clockwise will cause the radio to scan DOWN in the channel list.
To stop the radio from scanning, press any key except A (FUNC), *, or #

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Soundy

Premium Subscriber
I found a way to unlock the DJ-500T for anyone who is having trouble with the keypad method. You will need a programming cable for this so you can unlock it to be able to change the mode via the keypad.

Hi Rev,

I'm trying to unlock a pair of these for a buddy, and not having any success. I have a "universal" programming cable, the type with the female mini-TRS and then an assorment of cable ends that plug into that, and found one that works to read and write the DJ500 (successfully added channels, change the welcome message, etc.)

Assuming the one-nib side button is PF1, when I'm doing PF1+D+Power On, I get DSP in the display, and the options NAME, FREQ, and CH. PF2 then enables the selection.

PF2+D+Power On just gives me "CLONE" in the display, and pressing PF2 again shows "04" below it, but nothing lets me change it.

The keyboard remains locked out completely no matter what I do.

I've tried the trick you listed here with DJ_500SetO, but it doesn't change anything (doesn't wipe the programmed channels either).

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Hans13

Hi Rev,

I'm trying to unlock a pair of these for a buddy, and not having any success. I have a "universal" programming cable, the type with the female mini-TRS and then an assorment of cable ends that plug into that, and found one that works to read and write the DJ500 (successfully added channels, change the welcome message, etc.)

Assuming the one-nib side button is PF1, when I'm doing PF1+D+Power On, I get DSP in the display, and the options NAME, FREQ, and CH. PF2 then enables the selection.

PF2+D+Power On just gives me "CLONE" in the display, and pressing PF2 again shows "04" below it, but nothing lets me change it.

I've tried the trick you listed here with DJ_500SetO, but it doesn't change anything (doesn't wipe the programmed channels either).

Any ideas?

I know that you did not ask me but I just tested on my radio.

I don't think that you are holding down "D" properly because I get your results when I do not hold down "D".

1) Top button + power on = "CLONE"
2) Bottom button + power on = "DSP"
3) Top button + D + power on = "MODE"
4) Bottom, button + D + power on = RESETS THE RADIO (Do not do this unless you want to as there is no warning) - I just accidentally reset my radio. :D

To make sure that you are pressing "D", I suggest:
1) With radio off, place it on its back with the keypad up, radio antenna parallel to your body, pointing to your left.
2) Put your right thumb on the TOP button and your right index finger on the D key.
3) Power on the radio with your left hand.
4) Continue to hold BOTH top button and D until the menu item (mode) comes up.

Please reply back with your results.

Soundy

Premium Subscriber
I know that you did not ask me but I just tested on my radio.

I don't think that you are holding down "D" properly because I get your results when I do not hold down "D".

1) Top button + power on = "CLONE"
2) Bottom button + power on = "DSP"
3) Top button + D + power on = "MODE"
4) Bottom, button + D + power on = RESETS THE RADIO (Do not do this unless you want to as there is no warning) - I just accidentally reset my radio. :D

To make sure that you are pressing "D", I suggest:
1) With radio off, place it on its back with the keypad up, radio antenna parallel to your body, pointing to your left.
2) Put your right thumb on the TOP button and your right index finger on the D key.
3) Power on the radio with your left hand.
4) Continue to hold BOTH top button and D until the menu item (mode) comes up.

Please reply back with your results.

Thanks Hans!

I tried exactly that, and still nothing. I even used the tip of a pen on the D button to make sure it's not just my fat fingers unable to push it in far enough. I'm starting to wonder if the front buttons on this have been physically disabled some way. I may crack it open later for a look.

bertedmund67

Hi,
There are various DJ-500s that are out there in the market. You want to be sure that it is not DJ-500TB which can only be unlocked by software only Hope this helps

Thank you

Hans13

Thanks Hans!

I tried exactly that, and still nothing. I even used the tip of a pen on the D button to make sure it's not just my fat fingers unable to push it in far enough. I'm starting to wonder if the front buttons on this have been physically disabled some way. I may crack it open later for a look.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. If you had one that the keypad was physically disabled, that would be a first, IMHO. I wouldn't crack it open. It isn't likely disabled that way. There is a video on YouTube of the Anytone counter part in which he takes the radio completely apart if you want to see how and what it looks like inside. If anything, the radio might be defective?

Since it did not work, I would try the software method again and then try the keypad. Other than that, I am stumped.

bertedmund67

Hans13,
Be sure to use the correct cable, not the cheap one. If I am correct, the cheaper cable will not do the work correctly. Please proceed back to the original thread of this subject matter and read from the beginning. There is a whole lot of information on this particular radio model. Good luck.

Bert

Hans13

Hans13,
Be sure to use the correct cable, not the cheap one. If I am correct, the cheaper cable will not do the work correctly. Please proceed back to the original thread of this subject matter and read from the beginning. There is a whole lot of information on this particular radio model. Good luck.

Bert

Thanks for the info but I have followed this thread since the beginning. My posts start on page 5. Also, generic cables can work, please see Rev_Pizzaguy's post, the 5th one down from the top. https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-9.html#post2898879 We've had no problems with cheap cables other than taking care of driver issues; which is easy, IMHO.

I'm not having trouble with our DJ-500T or 500TB radios. I was asking if you knew of some other dealer software other than what was posted near the top of this thread.

Rev_Pizzaguy

Hi Rev,

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that is exactly how my radio behaved before I did the Freq. Set > Write in the DJ_500SetO application. If you radio is not wiping the programmed channels after you do that, it's very possible that setting isn't actually getting set and your radio isn't actually being unlocked.

I don't have any experience with a universal cable like you described, but for reference, this is the cable that I used that worked to successfully unlock and program my radio:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092D3E8Q

bertedmund67

Thanks for the info but I have followed this thread since the beginning. My posts start on page 5. Also, generic cables can work, please see Rev_Pizzaguy's post, the 5th one down from the top. https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-9.html#post2898879 We've had no problems with cheap cables other than taking care of driver issues; which is easy, IMHO.

I'm not having trouble with our DJ-500T or 500TB radios. I was asking if you knew of some other dealer software other than what was posted near the top of this thread.

Hans13,
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your comments. I did not know that cheaper cables actually work. My comment on that was based on the threads. In the thread, someone mentioned that the DJ-500TB is a part 90 radio and I was guessing that that could be the problem as well. Thank you

Soundy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys.

FYI, this is the cable I'm using: USB Programming Cable for Kenwood / HYT / Mag A8 / GP88S / ICOM / YAES - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The mini-TRS-to-mini-TRS adapter works fine reading and writing programming on the radio, including changing the welcome message and other settings. It does read settings via DJ_500SetO, and the radio reboots after writing with it... and I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the Freq. Set option is being changed, as the setting I give it appears after closing, re-opening, and reading the settings again (at least, I'm pretty sure I tried that).

I might suspect one defective radio, but in this case, there are two showing the same lack of keyboard function. The fact that the P1+D+Power and P2+D+Power both just exhibit the P1+Power/P2+Power results, as if the D isn't being seen at all, makes me suspect the keyboard has been disabled intentionally. These were given to my friend when they were decommissioned by a trucking company, and they came with that company's channels as well as a set of industrial road channels, so it wouldn't surprise me if they physically modified them to prevent use outside those parameters.

I guess at the end of the day, my buddy is happy to just use them with the frequencies I program and doesn't need the keyboard function (at least he doesn't think so now), so it's not the end of the world if I don't get them unlocked.

Ironbrewer

I finally got my DJ-500t opened up. I had to use a cable and the software. I have it on Mode 4 now. However I am still having issues. when I hit the ptt button the frequency jumps 0.350. So if I have the freq on 158.400 it jumps to 158.750. If I have the freq at 144.200 it will jump to 144.550. Why is it doing this and how do I fix it??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.