Review my freescan config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epikos

Would anyone be interested in reviewing my FreeSCAN config file for cracky-ness?
I just got my BCD396xt this week so I'm really new to FreeSCAN. I've got a config that is working and the organization makes sense to me, but just because something works doesn't mean it's right.

I'm located near corn pass and west union so I went with the main WCCCA Simulcast system. There was the west washco, and RR says they have a repeater at 185th and evergreen (which is close by), but the main system seems to work fine. Also, when I began looking at the FCC info, it seems the main simulcast system might have a transmitter at 185th and evergreen, too.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. If I've got any redundancies that can be eliminated? Recommendations for better ways of organizing things? One thing I haven't done yet is set up quick keys, so I only really listen to my scanner in scan mode so far... Maybe I should fix that?

Thanks!

Attachments

• test.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 73

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Would anyone be interested in reviewing my FreeSCAN config file for cracky-ness?
I just got my BCD396xt this week so I'm really new to FreeSCAN. I've got a config that is working and the organization makes sense to me, but just because something works doesn't mean it's right.

I'm located near corn pass and west union so I went with the main WCCCA Simulcast system. There was the west washco, and RR says they have a repeater at 185th and evergreen (which is close by), but the main system seems to work fine. Also, when I began looking at the FCC info, it seems the main simulcast system might have a transmitter at 185th and evergreen, too.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. If I've got any redundancies that can be eliminated? Recommendations for better ways of organizing things? One thing I haven't done yet is set up quick keys, so I only really listen to my scanner in scan mode so far... Maybe I should fix that?

Thanks!
I'm obviously not local to your area, but I noticed that you have several of your systems, in effect, locked out. If that's what you wanted, fine. But if not, you'll have to either unlock them through the menu screens of the scanner (since you don't have quick-keys assigned), or change them in FreeScan and then re-send to the scanner.

Specifically, for WCCCA LEO East, WCCCA Fire East, BOEC LEO, and BOEC Fire/EMS, you have the system sites locked out. (You can quickly tell they are locked out in FreeScan. Click on the "+" sign to expand the system to see the groups & site names. You'll notice that for the one's I've listed, the site name shows in red. That indicates it is locked out.) With the site locked out, that system will not be monitored. What you would kind more satisfactory in the long run is to assign unique (separate) quick keys to each site (for the trunked systems) and a system quick key for the conventional systems. That way, you can toggle them on or off as desired easily and quickly.

epikos

Thank you both for the info! I have those locked out because I want to have everything that I'm interested in programmed into the scanner, but those systems are on the other side of the river and I don't want to hear all their little traffic stops unless I'm listening for something specific. Basically when I'm sitting at home I'm just interested in the agencies around my area, but I like to have the east systems in there so if I'm on that side of town I have access to the channels.

I need to read up on the quick keys. I didn't realize you could have multiple quick keys enabled at the same time. I figured if I had WCSO toggled that it would lock to that one system.

One other question. You'll notice that for instance, the WCCCA radio agency dispatches for agencies on both sides of the river, but I want to have some talk groups grouped by east/west. So I have the WCCCA Simulcast control channel in two different systems, and then put TGIDs for the east agencies in one system and the west in another, so that simulcast system is getting scanned twice under two different systems... if that makes sense.

That won't cause a problem or anything would it? Is there a better way of achieving the kind of organization I have set up?

Thanks again for all the input! I'm off to go set up some quick keys!

Status
Not open for further replies.