Review of the Master Frequency Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Digital police frequencies for my county/state

Volume 5 would cover Alabama. You would only need the Public Safety edition. The specified guide shows all public safety frequencies for the region. It is sorted by state then licensee. So Alabama would be the first state listed for Volume 5.

Hope this helps.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Premium Subscriber
Does the Master Frequency Guide offer anything that the RadioReference database does not already?

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
It's a listing of all frequencies licensed so it would be complete and accurate since it's directly from the FCC databases. The format is similar to how Police Call displayed the information. The data is easier to parse since it's listed on a page width, rather than having to search and then constantly drill down to get the needed info.

I have samples that can be downloaded for free so you can see the format. It is a complement to the Radio Reference database not a replacement.

RayAir

I bought the volume covering MI and I'm very happy with it. I used it on a recent road trip.
Just wanted to thank you for your hard work. It came in handy.

Regards,

Ray

jaymatt1978

Joe,

Are the samples on the website? I couldn't find them./

It's a listing of all frequencies licensed so it would be complete and accurate since it's directly from the FCC databases. The format is similar to how Police Call displayed the information. The data is easier to parse since it's listed on a page width, rather than having to search and then constantly drill down to get the needed info.

I have samples that can be downloaded for free so you can see the format. It is a complement to the Radio Reference database not a replacement.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Justin,

The samples are stored in the first Product box under the heading "Select a Product or Products below".
The cost shows free in the box. Just select it and check out, it will not ask for payment. You will be able to download the samples and supplemental info from there.

Unfortunately this is the only way Selz allows me to attach PDF samples to the website.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
First off the data comes from the FCC database so it is complete and accurate. The data is as of April, 2018 and the reports were created in June.

I seriously question that. I used to purchase FCC data CD/DVD's from PerCon Corporation for years. PerCon Corporation

I found the data very inaccurate, old/obsolete and redundant. This data was taken directly from the FCC. Not sure how they run things today, but back in the late 80's, 90's it was a mess.

Updates via downloads seems to negate the reason to buy a printed guide.

The data here on RR is dynamic, updated constantly.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
So you are saying that the license data from the FCC is inaccurate and redundant? I thought RR hooked into that same data for their database?

I'm not sure how Percon retrieved the FCC data back in the day. It could have included expired, cancelled, and terminated licenses. My guide only includes licenses that are in active status.

As I stated previously, the guide is a complement to RR, and not competition or a replacement. The format and presentation is what makes the guide easier to navigate than using the FCC information (or other online FCC DB queries) and having to constantly drill down to obtain information.

nd5y

So you are saying that the license data from the FCC is inaccurate and redundant?
FCC data has a lot of errors because the people filling out license applications make mistakes or enter bad data, especially location data.
As far as I know the FCC expects the licensees or whoever files the applications for them to get everything right and doesn't even attempt to verify, audit or correct anything.
I thought RR hooked into that same data for their database?
Everything in the RR database is submitted by users and is supposed to be confirmed. In reality the DB admins don't have a clue, have no way to verify anything and process whatever is submitted.

Sometimes the data is bad. Some listings are many years stale. Things change and often nobody submits updates or corrections. Some things never get submitted because nobody finds them for various reasons.

You can never count on RRDB always being accurate or complete.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi nd5y,

Thanks for your input!

Yes I agree there can be some user created errors in the FCC database, but even with those the data would still be more accurate than any other source currently available.

I also agree with you about the potential issues with data submitted to RR. I had the same issues with the Philly guide for info submitted. But I used to personally verify each update before adding it to the guide.
Since the RR mods are volunteers, I believe they are doing their best.

When I mentioned about RR hooking into the FCC database, I was referring to the "Search FCC Data" section on the Database main page.

nd5y

When I mentioned about RR hooking into the FCC database, I was referring to the "Search FCC Data" section on the Database main page.
OK I thought you meant the regular database. That should all be the same as the FCC data.

Some FCC PLMR licenses are broke for some reason and don't show up in the RR FCC data. For example:
On the FCC web site: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQQU444 - TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
displays perfectly normally but on RR:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQQU444
doesn't work, even though the web site shows the name of the license in the title bar.

Also a few licenses have a range of frequencies and on RR it will only show the beginning (low) frequency like this one:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1926879
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPFM603

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
WQQU444 shows on my guide, I just confirmed it.

Maybe it does not show because it's a mobile only license (i.e., no bases are licensed)
or because its public safety but licensed as IG? Not sure.

I use some interesting SQL database table joins to deal with issues like that.

Last edited:

nd5y

WQQU444 shows on my guide, I just confirmed it. Maybe it does not show because it's a mobile only license
or because its public safety but licensed as IG? Not sure.
I don't know either but other government entity IG licenses show up and other mobile only licenses show up.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The Master Frequency Guide is a new digital PDF product that will will enable you to quickly and easily identify stations and assigned frequency information without having to drill down by querying databases.

There are 10 volumes that are broken down by geographical area of the United States. For each volume, there is a main file that is sorted by licensee, and another file that is a cross reference sorted by frequency. There are also two versions of the guide. One for public safety radio licenses and the other for industrial/business radio licenses. There is also a national LF/MF/HF guide as well as some free samples and supplemental information.

The guide’s website and electronic PDF files quickly download and properly format using either your desktop computer, smart phone or tablet.

The pricing is $14.95 for the business guide, $19.95 for the public safety guide, and $29.95 for both as a packaged item. The national LF/MF/HF guide is $19.95. I feel that it is well worth the investment.

I like to think of it as a modern and improved version of the old ‘Police Call’ books, which used to be sold at your local Radio Shack stores.

As a scanner radio hobbyist of 42 years, I highly recommend the Master Frequency Guide.

I purchased the guide from the Master Frequency Guide's website at http://masterfrequencyguide.selz.com

Joe Mattern, WX4ADX
Trunked Public Safety Scanning Expert

My only complaint is the site provides two sorts-frequency and licensee. This lacks a sort by city or county--which I often find more useful than those other two. when I download frequency information myself, I sort it all 3 ways.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How is the print? Font type, size, line spacing? Does the paper and ink have a good clean high contrast appearance? I recall the old Police Call was pretty poor. The paper was rough, not bright white, and the font was very fuzzy and hard to read. I realize size would have to be small to show as much data per line as possible.

I can see where the guide definitely serve a purpose. It could be used anywhere, even when the internet is down, as it could very well be during a catastrophic emergency.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
How is the print? Font type, size, line spacing? Does the paper and ink have a good clean high contrast appearance? I recall the old Police Call was pretty poor. The paper was rough, not bright white, and the font was very fuzzy and hard to read. I realize size would have to be small to show as much data per line as possible.

I can see where the guide definitely serve a purpose. It could be used anywhere, even when the internet is down, as it could very well be during a catastrophic emergency.

They are downloaded pdf files.

Status
Not open for further replies.