Tecsun Review of the new Tecsun H501

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
I forgot a thing, this radio is claimed to be triple conversion, nonetheless I am getting images on MW, that also caught my attention, there should not be any images on this radio if its triple conversion.

VK3RX

Premium Subscriber
Have you advised Anon-Co re the issues with your unit?

I'm sure they would be interested and offer a solution. Who knows, inadvertantly out of China you may have got an early hand-assembled one or pilot build.

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
Have you advised Anon-Co re the issues with your unit?

I'm sure they would be interested and offer a solution. Who knows, inadvertantly out of China you may have got an early hand-assembled one or pilot build.
Repeatedly, further, the boxes both packing,and shipping, were immaculate, no damage whatsoever, and anyway I am satisfied now that the issue is manifest throughout the series, it was very helpful to me laying hands upon two other samples. Its possible the three I have actually played with were early samples, I am open to that. You should know that to return a radio to anon-co you cover shipping, and by the time its all said and done its not worth it.... It would be great if they had US based satellite operation for such a contingency. I know one thing, anyone getting 18-20 hours per battery runtime is getting orders of magnitude better such runtime compared to the three I have seen. Consider, I have not even attempted to operate the MP3 option, what would be the runtime to the battery if lets say you actually cranked up the volume to 50-65% and played it that way, I'd be surprised if you got two hours total runtime doing so...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just because a radio is triple conversion doesn't mean it can't get overloaded, in this case, by MW stations. Perfectly understandable. You need strong resistance to overloading, you need a high quality desktop. Even they can get overloaded given the right conditions.

Most of us can't afford that, so a AM filter or a passive preselector will do the job here

Mike

VK3RX

Premium Subscriber
Consider, I have not even attempted to operate the MP3 option, what would be the runtime to the battery if lets say you actually cranked up the volume to 50-65% and played it that way, I'd be surprised if you got two hours total runtime doing so...
I'd be surprised also. Its not a boombox, so that volume level from any source would be expected to drain a battery far quicker than a normal volume level of (say) 15-20%.