Reviving old AR1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

subfly

Hallo
I am a relatively newbie, I used this scanner to listen to air transmissions when going to airports and airshows, but it had been sleeping in a cupboard for years. I started taking lessons of air radio transmission, and I wanted to practice a bit with real air "quality", so I fished it out, but it no longer works. I read several people having "keyboard issues" so I opened it to clean the keypad, but the situation did not improve.
What surprised me was that trying to measure the resistance of the pads, I cannot measure anything, which of course would justify the issue, but this is true also for the few keys that work... Any ideas about a solution? I am considering replacing the pads (although they are very thin, so it could be difficult to keep the total thinkers down), but I have some doubts the issue might be on the card side. Also, are spare parts still available somewhere?
Thanks in advance
Maurizio

Xray

This guy might have parts, doubtful though Home Page

1000 was known for keyboard failure, I recall swabbing mine back in the day with electronic parts cleaner and a pencil eraser, limited success.
Scanner was great in its day, for quite a while it was the only handheld that could receive the mil aviation band - Also did good on cell phones.

subfly

Thanks, indeed it was a bit of a pain to use it, I have to retrain myself... the supplier seems to have very little left, though.
I found a temporary solution (see pictures, and I wonder if making a robust "pencil" with a resistive tip and reassemble the whole thing without keyboard, punching the keys through the holes with the pencil might be a sort of solution, I just want to practice listening to a few frequencies...

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27

subfly

Yes, thanks, that's where I borrowed the idea of using a pad from another device, and it worked. Cutting precisely and glueing 21 pads is something I'd have tried to avoid, though. I asked here because finding a complete spare keyboard would have been better, but from the link that was kindly provided by Xray it looks difficult, they have very few spares. Moreover, dismantling the electronics is not simple, and risking of doing it again every few years (the replacement pads would eventually wear themselves out) made me think of the idea of the punch

subfly

In the end I bit the bullet, dismantled three old Playstation controllers and did it... the environmentalist in me is happy, and the cheapskate too

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.