RFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I am currently trying to track down an interference source at home, it is not always an issue but of late I have noticed it both more often and stronger. Are charger generally getting worse as far as RFI goes?

Paul

Boombox

Depending on the RFI noise you're hearing, yeah, check your LED lightbulbs. They can still operate normally light-wise, but suddenly throw out hash that wipes out the bottom half of the MW band (650 khz and lower especially). I had one that did that. It's like a component decided to fry or let go, but the light still looks normal. It was one of my porch lights. Only found out after switching lights off.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I had a full time nose that turned out to be a security camera that I had mounted outside. I found it by throwing breakers.

Most local noises can be tracked down by shutting off breakers. Turn them on and off one at a time. If it disappears then look at the devices on the circuit that is protected by the breaker that you just shut off. You may need to find an alternate power source so you can shut off the breaker that powers your radio. (What I did was use an extension cord and plugged the power supply in to a different outlet.

I had another annoying noise that would crop up intermitantly. It turned out to be a Nitecore battery charger. This was difficult to track down because it only occurred when I was using the radio and charging batteries at the same time which wasn't all that often.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I once had a dishwasher that wiped out all HF bands. I'm sure it had bad motor brushes; I finally junked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.