RFinder B1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have sent in corrections for my area and they are still not correct as I mentioned above. I don't know if the RFinder has representatives, but any database of that size is difficult to keep completely up to date.

Chronic

Another point to make is that Rfinder went behind the backs of many Frequency coordinators and basically put them out of bushiness and now the ARRL uses Rfinder as the official Repeater database, so now many of the coordinators are not producing local repeater books anymore . I know for a fact that this happened to the Ohio repeater Council .

Notice Regarding the ARRL Repeater Directory

The Ohio Area Repeater Council received notice from the
ARRL that they were terminating the current
ARRL Repeater Directory License Agreement between the
ARRL and the Ohio Repeater Council (and every other state) effectine September 30th, 2016.
We were very disappointed in the RFinder Repeater Directory that was published in 2017.
It contained incorrect, out of date and unverifed information scraped from the internet.
Only 12 of the 50 United States contributed data to RFinder, Ohio was one of the 12.
We have received many complaints about the data presented. Rfinder wants more information
than the ARRL, including where repeaters are located. That data that has always been protected.
Ohio has not provided any futher updates.
Repeater Trustees are welcome to contact RFinder Directly if like.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It contained incorrect, out of date and unverifed information scraped from the internet.

That’s exactly what they did. They scraped it from where ever they could, including Repeaterbook.com.

I verified the data theft, using the Alberta database. Specific word combinations, written by the DB admin for Alberta, were in the RFinder data.

RFinder is a shady business, built on the theft of volunteers(repeaterbook DB Admins) time, that he now charges access to. F*ck him and f*ck RFinder.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have sent in corrections for my area and they are still not correct as I mentioned above. I don't know if the RFinder has representatives, but any database of that size is difficult to keep completely up to date.

Why? Why pay to access stolen data that he represents as his own? That he charges money to access.

He literally ripped off fellow hams hard work, and doesn’t even have the courtesy to give credit(because that would be admitting he is a thief, and an *******)

Some of what he took was my time and effort, and friends time and effort. We get nothing from it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You are absolutely right and I would be happy to add some credibility to it but I usually can't. I travel quite a bit but I usually travel alone and am unable to make notes about the discrepancies.

Some of the errors are major and should be handled by the individual state mangers (that are shown on the listings). For instance, two interstate highways were not even shown for several years. Also, the listing for repeaters along I-65, that runs the length of the state from Tennessee to Mobile and includes Montgomery and Birmingham, had only listings for the Mobile area. The page manager lives in the Mobile area.

You agreed that it is crowd sourced and then complained that the crowd hasn't updated it and somehow blamed one or two individuals for it. No, that's not how it works - hams in general (you and I and others) are the ones to submit data and make the changes...so, instead of posting to complain about incorrect data, get on the site and submit an update/correction or add new repeaters. It's easier and helps a whole lot more than posting a complaint on here... ;)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You agreed that it is crowd sourced and then complained that the crowd hasn't updated it and somehow blamed one or two individuals for it. No, that's not how it works - hams in general (you and I and others) are the ones to submit data and make the changes...so, instead of posting to complain about incorrect data, get on the site and submit an update/correction or add new repeaters. It's easier and helps a whole lot more than posting a complaint on here... ;)
How would you propose that I collect the data to submit. I refuse to try to write information while I'm driving. Perhaps stop every 20 miles or so and look for repeaters? I don't think so.
While I understand no method would be perfect, I suggest that those who have taken on the task of managing a state's information, to wit, Alabama, do their job. That might make a big difference.

Maybe I'll just turn the ham radio off and not worry about it. I have scanners and satellite radio to keep me entertained.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
How would you propose that I collect the data to submit. I refuse to try to write information while I'm driving. Perhaps stop every 20 miles or so and look for repeaters? I don't think so.
While I understand no method would be perfect, I suggest that those who have taken on the task of managing a state's information, to wit, Alabama, do their job. That might make a big difference.

Maybe I'll just turn the ham radio off and not worry about it. I have scanners and satellite radio to keep me entertained.

No, I'm not advocating for doing anything unsafe. Certainly not. But, in my travels I have found that I can often remember things that are reported incorrectly on RepeaterBook and can report them later in the day. Also, the map feature is great - look at, for example, 2m repeaters on the map view and then spot those that are along, as your example was, I-65...then "report update" for those and request that they be added to the I-65 route. Simple. Repeat for 70cm repeaters. I am not implying it is all your job or some other person's job but a collective of hams reporting data will help keep the database up to date.

While a complaint may be 100% correct, it won't get the db updated, whether we're talking about public safety data here on the RR database or the database on RepeaterBook. Let's all do our part...

Status
Not open for further replies.