RG6 - PL-259 Adapter --- CONFUSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeski

Hey everyone,
My discone antenna just came in! I just got back from town with a length of RG6 however I need to find an adapter that will connect the RG6 to my antenna.

My antenna has a female PL-259 connector. So what adapter do I need? Ive been reading so much and I'm just getting more confused.

I think Im looking for a PL-259 to F connector, or is it N?

Here is my antenna:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5752639315

Sorry for the dumb question. :oops:

FPO703

More than likely it's an N Connector. an 'F' connector is what is used commonly with Cable/Satellite TV setups.

Freeski

Hmm, the packaging on my RG6 said that it is for satellite dishes however I read somewhere that I could use it for my scanner as well..

diskmonger

Premium Subscriber
Freeski said:
Hmm, the packaging on my RG6 said that it is for satellite dishes however I read somewhere that I could use it for my scanner as well..

75ohm rg6 cable is fine for a scanner antenna. You need to put a CATV "F" connector on your RG6 and then find an "F" to "PL259" adapter. Radio Shack should sell either of these.

Freeski

Thanks for the info. Radio Shack didnt carry anything :evil:

But my RG6 does have a connector on each end so I guess I just need the "F" to "PL259".

I guess I need two of these, one for my antenna and one for my actual scanner.

Freeski

There, I think I have it all figured out.

I need:

"F" female - BNC male -to connect cable to scanner
"F" female - PL-259 male -to connect cable to antenna

I sure hope this is right! Im going to head to another radio shack and see what they have.

:lol:

diskmonger

Premium Subscriber
Freeski said:
There, I think I have it all figured out.

I need:

"F" female - BNC male -to connect cable to scanner
"F" female - PL-259 male -to connect cable to antenna

I sure hope this is right! Im going to head to another radio shack and see what they have.

:lol:

That's it! I'm suprised RS didn't carry those adaptors.

JGP

Freeski,

You need just one connector for the anteenna end, an F Female to PL259 Male.

Then you need one F Female to BNC Male to connect to the scanner.

Grove sells what you need. Go to their web site at www.grove-ent.com

Joel
Franklin, Wisconsin :)

diskmonger

Premium Subscriber
Freeski said:
They do not carry the PL259 adapter, I may have to get a PL259 to BNC and then another BNC to F

Ouch. Just keep in mind the more adapters and connectors you use, the more signal loss you are going to have.

Diskmonger

DSYCUTTER

Premium Subscriber
yeah pl259 to bnc then use a F to bnc..... I am really surprised you cant find the stuff at rat shack in the drawers, not necassarily hanging on the wall.

jbstahr

Why not just clip off both "F" Connectors and get one PL-259 connector for the antenna side and one BNC connector for the scanner side? It will save you loss and make life much easier. :idea:

astrodanco

jbstahr said:
Why not just clip off both "F" Connectors and get one PL-259 connector for the antenna side and one BNC connector for the scanner side? It will save you loss and make life much easier. :idea:
You should read the very long discussion over at eham.net concerning the proper soldering of PL-259 connectors. PL-259 connectors seem to be more of a PITA than anything else. Too bad his antenna didn't come with an N connector. On the other hand, six-piece BNC solder-clamp connectors are a breeze to install. They're well constructed, physically strong, and generally perform well. Learning how to use the coax stripper tool to properly strip the coax takes only a little practice. I found a PDF on the web with good soldering and assembly technique for solder clamp BNC connectors. Perhaps he should consider cutting off the "F" connector on the scanner end and installing a BNC instead.

K5MAR

astrodanco said:
jbstahr said:
You should read the very long discussion over at eham.net concerning the proper soldering of PL-259 connectors. PL-259 connectors seem to be more of a PITA than anything else. Too bad his antenna didn't come with an N connector. On the other hand, six-piece BNC solder-clamp connectors are a breeze to install. They're well constructed, physically strong, and generally perform well. Learning how to use the coax stripper tool to properly strip the coax takes only a little practice. I found a PDF on the web with good soldering and assembly technique for solder clamp BNC connectors. Perhaps he should consider cutting off the "F" connector on the scanner end and installing a BNC instead.

I've seen a lot of poorly installed PL connectors, but it's really not that hard to do. I'd say the key is having a proper wattage iron/gun.

How about posting a link to the .pdf, I'm sure there are many who would find it handy.

Mark S.

astrodanco

K5MAR said:
How about posting a link to the .pdf, I'm sure there are many who would find it handy.
http://www.cprl.ars.usda.gov/programs/TDR_S3.PDF

Mind you, I found this helpful only because I had never done it before. This document is part of a larger topic that was of no interest (to me). The section I found helpful is a few paragraphs down and is headed "Attaching BNC connectors (clamp/solder type) to RG58 cable." After this section the document goes on to other stuff that is also of no particular interest (to me).

TeRayCodA

jbstahr said:

Keep in mind that the RG-6 coax shield is ALUMINUM,and will not solder to the PL 259.This is why I use adapters when working with RG 6 to PL 259.
The BNC,on the other hand,will be OK.

K5MAR

TeRayCodA said:
jbstahr said:

Keep in mind that the RG-6 coax shield is ALUMINUM,and will not solder to the PL 259.This is why I use adapters when working with RG 6 to PL 259.
The BNC,on the other hand,will be OK.

There are special crimp-style PL connectors made for use with RG-6 coax. I found them a couple of years ago. They were being sold by Alltronics Electronic Supply www.alltronics.com . It is the UHF Male - Cable crimp for RG6U", p/n CU051. They also sell a BNC connector - p/n CB081. I haven't bought any in several years, so I can't guarantee they are still available, but it's worth checking into.

Mark S.

growboy

Since you're in Ontario, give Durham radio a call, or check their website for the adapter, and get some co-ax seal as well. It will help to keep it working a long time. Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.