Richland county

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumfan

Just got my first scanner, a bcd396xt. For some reason I get nothing when tuned into my hometown police dept which is Shelby, frequency is 155.640. Also another local department Lexington has the exact same freq listed in the RR database, they have different tones though, can't get that one either. Please help thanks!

magnumfan

Still nothing, turned off the tones. Is it possible they went digital? Shelby just completed a brand new police building. Also what is the significance of both depts. on the exact same frequency? Does that mean its a trunking system?

magnumfan

Ok, have been monitoring Shelby PD all afternoon with tone off and finally heard one transmission from dispatch and responding officer. But that was it. Its not signal strength because I live a quarter mile from dept. Any help much appreciated thanks

wtp

nope

not trunking, just a shared channel. that way they only hear their own cars.
when you pick up the mike you hear everybody (depending how the radio is set ) and talk when it is caler.
that way the base is not annoyed by the other town. so turning the tones off is a good idea. i would also load the neighboring towns without tones to see if they are sharing that frequency. if not then a search is in order.
try 153.74 to 156.24 and then 158.73 to 159.21. unless you see new 800 mhz antennas (3 inches)and no 150 (18 inch) ones

magnumfan

Ok, assuming I'm looking at the right antenna, it looks 18like inches. Doing the search of frequencies you suggested. Should I do it with no tone? What about the offset? Thanks

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Folks, this is the same topic as the "Richland County" thread in the same forum. I'm going to merge the two under "Richland County."

16b

Premium Subscriber
Some possibilities:

1) You mentioned that an afternoon of monitoring yielded a couple of transmissions on their listed frequency. Perhaps they are simply not very active. Many police departments these days have laptops in their patrol cars (often referred to as mobile data computers or terminals), and while this does not 100% replace radio communications, it can greatly reduce the traffic you hear on the air because they can look up license plates and other information without having to talk to the dispatcher.

2) Are you sure they aren't dispatched by the sheriff's office? I don't know much about Richland County, but it is increasingly common for agencies to outsource their dispatching to another agency to save money. This could be a recent change. One way to figure this out is to tune in the sheriff frequency and listen for street addresses that are inside your city.

3) They could very well have moved to MARCS. They would almost certainly retain VHF radios as a backup and to access inter-agency frequencies, so this might explain hearing occasional traffic on VHF and still seeing VHF antennas on cars.

Some non-technical ways you might figure out some of this information:
1) Search through news articles on local newspaper/media websites. If an agency changes dispatching arrangements or buys a bunch of MARCS radios, it's usually a big enough deal (at least around here) to warrant a news article.
2) Contact your local newspaper. Most media outlets monitor the local police on the scanner if possible (they have to get their news somewhere) and they might be willing to give you a tip about what system/frequency they're on. Try not to be annoying when you ask. A polite, well composed email would probably work best here.
3) You could always ask (nicely) a local cop if they've recently changed radios/frequencies/etc. Most police officers have no knowledge/interest in the details of their radio system, but might at least know if they switched to MARCS or something.

wtp

just scan

no tones, no offset. you are trying to hear anything first and then to figure who it is.
i used to tell a friend of mine you should always go from the basement to the attic, lowest to highest to see what is around, he even got to find a freq for sending data on earthquakes. everybody knows about vhf but some don't know that it is broken down as to who is on what channel. the other thing is that some towns are using computer aided dispatch (cad) so that there is less radio traffic (like my own county).

wtp

park

park as close as you can to the police department and enable close call.
get a mobile antenna and you could park a little farther away.
if you get any hits that are not pd just lock them out.

owenbricker

Shelby pd

Shelby pd and lex pd loud and clear today. Shelby pd pl 82.5 is correct. Shelby uses cad for all calls,so very little traffic is heard. emergency calls are dispatched over the air. Barry.

wtp

cad

computer aided dispatch
usually low priority calls like a vin verification or loud dog call.
but they could do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.