Rs Pro-49

Status
Not open for further replies.

wampuscat

i was recently given a rs pro-49. its my first scanner so i'm glad its simply to operate. i wanted to know if there was anyway to hook up a bigger or better antenna. it picks up all the freqs i have put in,but sometimes they get alot of static.

Taloniilm

What I'd do...

Before you start looking into buying a different antenna, you should check the one you have for damage or breakage. I recently programed a friend's old hand held scanner, (Uniden BC-60XLT-1). It was in dire need of a good cleaning as well. I found that the wire in the center of the antenna connector, (BNC) was broken off in the radio's BNC !!! No doubt the result of the radio being handled by the antenna. A trip to Radio Shack and 20 bucks got her the basic replacement. Works good, no more static and cost was low. There's really no need in wasting money on antennas, (indoors or out) on an older and rather limited radio.

( http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...roductId=2102470&support=support&tab=summary).

af5rn

Taloniilm said:
There's really no need in wasting money on antennas, (indoors or out) on an older and rather limited radio.
If it receives everything he wants to receive, and simplicity is a virtue for him, why is the radio "limited"? I have thirty-year old scanners that still do everything I want them to do... as long as they have a good antenna.

Thirty-bucks for a Scantenna is hardly a waste of money. In fact, most scannists would agree that most money is much more wisely spent on antenna than on radio. More bang for the buck.

I would say that you "wasted" twenty-bucks on a replacement back-of-set whip.

af5rn

Taloniilm said:
I realise that. But not everybody here lives in an urban metropolis, where they need 6000 channels of digital trunktracking. A huge number of Americans live where you can still listen to every police and fire department within five counties on ten conventional, non-800 channels. I sure wish I still could, lol.

If you are in a position to order online, find a Scantenna for around thirty-bucks. If you're stuck buying from the local radio shack, their discone will do everything you need it to do.

I am, of course, assuming you're talking about a base antenna, and not a mobile antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.