RT Systems limited installs.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Yes, RT Systems is not cheap, but it has always worked for me, both with and without their cables. However, I have never had a problem with their cables, which is far from true with a generic or CCR cable. CHRIP has been useful, but did not work as smoothly or at all with a couple of radios. I have never had a problem with downloading or installing on a new or second computer. My only complaint is there is no way to transfer the RT package if you sell the radio. -Even a $20 re-license fee could give the new user a better start.

tittiger

Yes, RT Systems is not cheap, but it has always worked for me, both with and without their cables. However, I have never had a problem with their cables, which is far from true with a generic or CCR cable. CHRIP has been useful, but did not work as smoothly or at all with a couple of radios. I have never had a problem with downloading or installing on a new or second computer. My only complaint is there is no way to transfer the RT package if you sell the radio. -Even a $20 re-license fee could give the new user a better start.
What you might do is to burn the install onto a CD and give them the serial number.

I have RT software for 2 radios - that are on CD's.
I turned them both into ISO files on my computer. Its a good backup and I have it in the cloud so
that I can access it if needed where ever I might be.
If you lose a CD -- RT will not let you DL an electronic copy.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
My only complaint is there is no way to transfer the RT package if you sell the radio.
I see that a thread from last summer came to life so I will jump in.

Sounds to me like there IS a way to transfer ownership. I guess I'll be finding out soon since I am selling an HT and including the software!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If you lose a CD -- RT will not let you DL an electronic copy.
Not true. If you have the serial number and email registered with them, you can easily download an install file.

The issue is you have a limited number of times you can install it. The software "calls home" and activates much like Microsoft product activation, the key can only be used xxx number of times, which that number is not disclosed in the EULA. You can transfer the license but there is still a limited number of times it will activate.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Sent an email to RT Systems and got a confirmation back less than an hour later that the license has been transferred to the new owner.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
RT Systems has the best programming software for hams, in my opinion. If my computers all die and I have to buy another license from them, I will. Free programming software may well be worth what you pay for it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have no issue with their product, it is outstanding. I just think it is a little deceptive not to specify in the EULA that one only has xxx number of installs. I get it they are looking to prevent key sharing, but be upfront and specify in writing you have xxx number of installations, even on the same hardware before activation will fail. Not that hard to be transparent and it goes a long way with maintaining trust.

wallythacker

RT Systems is demanding the call sign of the person the license is being transferred to. They can't ask for that or base their decision to grant a transfer on getting that info. RT Systems needs a good hard kick in the backside from the FTC to stop their nonsense.

tittiger

I recently had trouble installing the RT-Systems software on a new laptop, I reached out to support and their answer is, you've used up the number of installs. I didn't know this, so if you change systems often, keep in mind you get a limited number installs, not concurrent, but total number of installs period, I didn't know this, but they said it is in the EULA, I guess I have to read things closer . I wonder if this could be adverted by making an MSI package?

Thoughts?
I have had the same issue with Ham Radio Deluxe. Just calling in to ask some questions.
I refused to give them my call. There is so little privacy and it's up to you to put your foot down.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
RT Systems is demanding the call sign of the person the license is being transferred to. They can't ask for that or base their decision to grant a transfer on getting that info. RT Systems needs a good hard kick in the backside from the FTC to stop their nonsense.
Since they're licensing the software, don't they have a right to know who "holds" the license?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
You did read the license agreement before you installed the software, right? Including the paragraph about "Restrictions on Transfer"? Or maybe you looked at their FAQ on transferring a copy of their software, where it clearly states that you need to provide the new owner's call sign?

It's their software, and you clicked "I accept the terms in the license agreement" in the installer. If they want to require a call sign to allow a transfer they have the right to do so. If they wanted to have a policy of "no transfers" they could do that too, as long as it's in the license agreement.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You did read the license agreement before you installed the software, right? Including the paragraph about "Restrictions on Transfer"? Or maybe you looked at their FAQ on transferring a copy of their software, where it clearly states that you need to provide the new owner's call sign?

It's their software, and you clicked "I accept the terms in the license agreement" in the installer. If they want to require a call sign to allow a transfer they have the right to do so. If they wanted to have a policy of "no transfers" they could do that too, as long as it's in the license agreement.
Nowhere in the verbiage does it specify this is required.

It's reasonable to protect one's intellectual property. Why should the ORIGINAL PURCHASER who is re-installing the software on THEIR OWN COMPUTER be restricted without WRITTEN NOTICE in the EULA? It's just a way that many will just go purchase another license. Their own licensing restriction seems to contradict their "secret squirrel" limit of activation/authentication:

You may install and use the RT Systems software on any system with more than one computer where each computer is for your personal use and those computers each have a basic operating system that matches (Windows or Mac) that for which the RT Systems software was purchased. You may not permit the installation and use of the RT Systems software by more than one user or on more than one computer in use by multiple users or by someone other than yourself. If you hold multiple, validly licensed copies, you may not install or use the RT Systems software on any system with more than the number of computers each with a basic operating system that matches (Windows or Mac) that for which the RT Systems software was purchased permitted by license, or permit the installation or use by more users, or on more computers than the number permitted by the license.

Most consumers/users interpret this to mean: I can install my RT Systems purchased software on as many of MY computers that are O/S compatible but it is limited to my personal use, in other words, I cannot install it on someone else' machine or a machine that I own but someone else is the primary user. Where is a limit shown? It isn't. It contradicts their own EULA as posted. One should be able to use it/install it as much as they wish on their OWN machines as stated.

Transferring the license section states:

Restrictions on Transfer

Without first obtaining express written consent from RT Systems, you may not assign your rights and obligations under this Agreement, or redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer your rights to the RT Systems software.

Nothing mentioned about what those requirements are, so demanding something that isn't there certainly opens them up to potential litigation.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
One of the things that turns me off on RT Systems is the cost, you can pay more for the stupid programming software than you did for the radio. And their need for proprietary programming cables in many cases where your radio might come with a factory cable but no, RT Systems must sell you theirs at huge cost.
The RT Systems software uses a cable with the FTDI chipset. Other chipsets are quite problematic with Windows and are often not the genuine chipset which also causes a problem with Windows.
The RTS cables are usually about $25 and having looked around, other FTDI cables on Amazon etc. usually cost close to the same. I think that the cables don't have to be specifically from RTS although they advertise it that way. It may just have to be a good quality FTDI cable to work.

If you bought a cheap Baofeng radio then you got what you paid for and yes the RT Systems package will cost more than your cheap radio. So buy whatever cheap cable you can find with the little driver install disc and fight with it to get it to work with Chirp. I have been down that road before. Chirp is OK for free but it is general purpose programming software and is not complete programming for every radio. It does pretty well though for basic programming needs. The learning curve with RTS software is not much. It walks you through it very well.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
One of the many things I like about RT software is that is tailored for each specific radio. regardless of the quirks that radio might have and they update their software, as necessary. It's well worth the money.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The RT Systems software uses a cable with the FTDI chipset. Other chipsets are quite problematic with Windows and are often not the genuine chipset which also causes a problem with Windows.
The RTS cables are usually about $25 and having looked around, other FTDI cables on Amazon etc. usually cost close to the same. I think that the cables don't have to be specifically from RTS although they advertise it that way. It may just have to be a good quality FTDI cable to work.

If you bought a cheap Baofeng radio then you got what you paid for and yes the RT Systems package will cost more than your cheap radio. So buy whatever cheap cable you can find with the little driver install disc and fight with it to get it to work with Chirp. I have been down that road before. Chirp is OK for free but it is general purpose programming software and is not complete programming for every radio. It does pretty well though for basic programming needs. The learning curve with RTS software is not much. It walks you through it very well.
There are many RT systems cables that are not just FTDI but custom and another brand FTDI cable will not work with their software. I’ve seen this with some Yaesu models.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
They changed the Vendor ID that the cable reports to the PC from FTDI to their own and forced the software to only use that vendor ID. I think they have eased up from this in the past few releases as I was able to use non RT cables on many of the radios I program.