Rumored Tetra Will Have Public Safety In U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K_O_matsu

It looks like Harris County, Georgia will be the first public safety using Tetra in the U.S. It seems they have partnered with Diverse Power and expanded their system to facilitate the county's needs. It will be Hytera subscribers and Harris County will be removing the Motorola Smartzone system they are currently using. This is due to upgrade costs, by what we are hearing.

rapidcharger

nunyax

that article confirms that the utility will use tetra, which I already knew, (probably because you told me), but it doesn't mention public safety or any municipal user piggy backing on it.

This was in the Harris County Board of Commissioner's minutes for 7/16/2013:

http://harriscountyga.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mr130716.pdf

The motion to authorize the Tetra radio system and to move forward with Diverse Power running fiber optic cable on the County’s Railroad Recreation Trail right-of-way was made by Commissioner Langston, seconded by Commissioner Loudermilk, and passed unanimously.

Can't find any reference to contracts in browsing the minutes.

K_O_matsu

For sure I witnessed the mobiles radios being installed in the Sheriff's vehicles today and saw the portables for the S.O.

DC

Wirelessly posted (SCH-U350/1.0 NetFront/3.0.22.2.18 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I guess Muscogee and Troup counties won't have any more interop with Harris County on pursuits on I-185 between Columbus and LaGrange.

K_O_matsu

They really never talk to one another its all done though their dispatchers.I don't think they even have each others Dispatch talkgroups anyway.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Here is the ULS listing for the new Harris County TETRA DTRS:

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQRV517 - HARRIS, COUNTY OF

Looks like 5 sites, 600 subscriber units. All UHF.

Emission designators:

11K2F3E, 7K60FXE, 7K60FXD

Interesting that the 7K emission designators are usually associated with 2 slot TDMA (i.e. MotoTRBO) and not TETRA.

None the less, they are indeed licensed as a UHF trunking system. This is the Harris county government, not a private utility company.

Status
Not open for further replies.