Running programming software from thumb drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolnCode3

OK - title says it all:

ARC246
Win96
Win97

Anyone tried installing and running any of the above from a thumb or flash drive? With the USB cables now available, it's easy to find a laptop that can program the scanners. Technical issues?

Win96 and Win97 look like they want to work, but it asks for the key again, and there was a missing file...didn't put any more effort into it after it didn't work on first try.

K2GOG

I do not think anyone thinks it is too specatular that you did this is why no one else commented.

Most any piece of radio software should run from an external memory device if it is for a MS based OS. You may need to copy over some system related file, but it should be an easy thing to accomplish.

What was the thought behind this "project"? Being able to run your software from a computer at work and not leaving anything behind?

-----------

Sorry to be the negative comment guy in this thread. Keep up the good work mate. Maybe when someone gets home from work they can add some more feedback.

Last edited:

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Yes it can be done BUT if you plan on using it on a computer that does not have the software installed on it already then I doubt it will work. The Win programs should work, its the ARC programs that I don't think are going to work.

N4JNW

kc2gog said:
What was the thought behind this "project"? Being able to run your software from a computer at work and not leaving anything behind?

QUOTE]

What's wrong with that? Afterall, I'm at work RIGHT NOW... :D

RolnCode3

Because my office has four tires and an engine. Not designed to be "spectacular", just useful. Some of the posts on the forum are neither and garner lots of attention.

I know Unitrunker uses an .msi installer. It seems that many programs nowadays tie themselves to the OS and won't operate without registry entries.

Apparently, however, most of the scanner programming software is simpler.

ARC250 DID create a 'programs' entry, but I just installed it, removed the drive, deleted the entry, and was still able to use the program. Didn't expect that to work.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
RolnCode3 said:
ARC250 DID create a 'programs' entry, but I just installed it, removed the drive, deleted the entry, and was still able to use the program. Didn't expect that to work.

Did you happen to delete the files that stays in windows when you uninstalled it?

RolnCode3

Dubbin said:
Did you happen to delete the files that stays in windows when you uninstalled it?
No, I didn't. I have no idea what files it installed, so I didn't know where to go.

I did, however, run it on a different computer, from the thumb drive, without running the install program.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
RolnCode3 said:
No, I didn't. I have no idea what files it installed, so I didn't know where to go.

I did, however, run it on a different computer, from the thumb drive, without running the install program.

does it give you an error that xxx.dll is missing? if it's a DLL file, in most cases you can copy the correct file to the location it's running from (USB drive) and it will look there first.

RolnCode3

Actually the laptop did give me an error on a few .dll files. I downloaded and put them in Windows system and system32 folders depending where they came from originally. Worked fine after that. I think Win96/97 wanted 1 or 2 dll files, and ARC246 wanted a completely different one.

Status
Not open for further replies.