RV antenna connection

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any experience with using the cable tv input on the side of an RV to connect to a radio inside the RV? I pick up the RV tomorrow (2/15) and it looks like the connectors are F-connectors. Hoping to use a SDR with a laptop for monitoring HF and VHF/UHF.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Has anyone had any experience with using the cable tv input on the side of an RV to connect to a radio inside the RV? I pick up the RV tomorrow (2/15) and it looks like the connectors are F-connectors. Hoping to use a SDR with a laptop for monitoring HF and VHF/UHF.

It's just a length of RG-59 or RG-6. Should work just fine for that.

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
Thank you I wasn't sure. Just got it yesterday and now it is experiment time. Just tuning around on the way home last night the AM radio doesn't seem to bad.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
And before you disconnect the coax from the TV antenna that is already on the roof of the RV.... try that antenna with your SDR. You may be surprised. The folding / collapsible RV antenna on top of my camper works quite well with my scanners. TV antennas receive a broad range of freqs near the most common VHF / UHF scanner frequencies, and aside from the fact that the signal polarity is 90 degrees off (horizontal vs vertical) they do it quite well. So before you decide you need a separate antenna for the SDR, get the F-connector pigtail adapter (prob F to SMA) that matches your SDR and try the existing TV antenna. Never hurts to try and you'll need the adapter pigtail anyway if you later decide you want a different antenna for the SDR.

MiCon

Mike
I don't know what kind of TV antenna comes with your RV, but most TV antennas are directional. That might be an advantage, or a disadvantage, depending on how you want to use the scanner while you travel.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
RV's now come with the standard TV antenna as well as a pass through connection for connecting to cable TV in a campground, or setting up your own external satellite antenna. I think the OP was talking about just using the pass through, not the antenna on the roof. The coax for those are usually well sealed and often have an amp in line, or at least a bias-t to send power up to the antenna.

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
I was just thinking about the pass through from the external connection. But using the supplied tv antenna is an interesting idea. I was told that it was not directional (I was also told that it had a 'range' of 50 miles) but I haven't gone out and tested it yet. However, the reading material did mention an in line amp and that concerns me. Will that effect the SDR? It is a HF+ AIRSPY Discovery.

Thank you for all of the responses.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I was just thinking about the pass through from the external connection. But using the supplied tv antenna is an interesting idea. I was told that it was not directional (I was also told that it had a 'range' of 50 miles) but I haven't gone out and tested it yet. However, the reading material did mention an in line amp and that concerns me. Will that effect the SDR? It is a HF+ AIRSPY Discovery.

The antenna on mine is directional and does have an amplifier. However the amplifier can be easily switched on / off at the inside socket panel. If yours has an amp that you can’t turn off then you may need to sharply reduce the RF gain on the SDR software. Try it both ways… you can’t hurt the SDR, just temporarily overload it with too much signal. My antenna is the “Armstrong” type: You have to manually raise, rotate, and lower it with a crank on the ceiling of the RV. If yours is omnidirectional that could be an advantage because you’ll be receiving signals from all directions without worrying about which direction what you want to hear is coming from.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Mine was omnidirectional. No indoor crank.
Like popnokick said, there should be a jack somewhere near the TV and there will be push button and an LED. That button turns the preamp on/off.

The antenna is designed for FM broadcast and TV. Will probably work for VHF/UHF/800, etc. But not going to be ideal.

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
I have the round style antenna on the back of the top so I'm assuming it is omnidirectional. Looking at the documentation (had to explain the difference between documentation and a user manual) there is a switch/button on antenna jack but wasn't in it today to actually check on it. But will plan on checking it with the preamp off and on.