RV Trip Scanning - Which Scanner Best for GPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am researching the GPS option for my future sds100 and it does have it's merits. But, for me, half the fun is sitting down and mapping out your trip and planning everything and pre-programming your scanners. I think it would be just as much fun to use GPS and see what comes up. So I am thinking on dedicating one scanner to GPS, one to pre-set Set Lists and Scan Lists, another to Systems and FLs and one for misc digital/analog systems along the way all based on the highways driven, metro areas we pass thru, and RV parks/rest areas where we will be camping. I have always used pre-programmed scanners on my road trips, and it's not such a hassle to switch on and off systems as you pass thru them, heck that's what scanning is all about - playing radio! I dedicate one scanner for CC wherever we are parked as well. Some may think it tedious and counter-productive to sit down and spend so much time programming and mapping but I look at it as all included in the adventure. Have fun with it!

We are planning a long RV trip from Ohio to Alaska in the summer of 2019 and I am thinking of the best of both worlds - GPS and location/zip scanning at the same time. I plan to take 4 scanners - bcd536hp, TRX-1, WS1065, and the SDS100. My only decision is which scanner performs the best with GPS as opposed to zipcode programming as opposed to pre-set configurations. Any and all suggestions welcomed - I am looking for suggestions on which scanner you would set up with GPS and why.

Thanks!

JD
kf4anc

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no comparison between the convenience of GPS scanning vs. constantly entering zip codes. It is dependent on accurate location data, but it is a huge step forward compared to any alternative.

I would put an internal GPS in the SDS100. That gives you a GPS scanning option with no extra wire clutter, and the SDS100 will receive the widest variety of systems successfully. That also gives you the cleanest possible option for GPS-based scanning in a rental vehicle, riding in a friend's vehicle, bus/train trip, etc. If you wanted to get fancy, you could run a cable from the SDS100 the the 536 so that the GPS in the SDS100 would feed the 536 as well.

I would use the Whistlers for scanning nationwide channels like FRS, GMRS, MURS, NIFOG, etc. and Close Call/Signal Stalker stuff, as they don't support GPS-based scanning, and that eliminates the need to constantly manually update their location while traveling.

wbswetnam

I would use the Whistlers for scanning nationwide channels like FRS, GMRS, MURS, NIFOG, etc. and Close Call/Signal Stalker stuff, as they don't support GPS-based scanning, and that eliminates the need to constantly manually update their location while traveling.

The Uniden BCT15X is also a good choice for mobile monitoring of nationwide frequencies. Plus, the BCT15X, while an analog-only scanner, is also GPS capable. So, you could use its GPS capabilities for analog statewide frequencies that you may travel through. For example, Montana uses 153.905 for general interoperability use, and 154.070 for fire mutual aid. A GPS-equipped BCT15X can turn on and off the statewide frequency sets as you go from one state to another. You would have to program in the location data into the statewide frequencies, of course.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I truly think both modes have their purpose. Because the sds is so versatile and has the capabilities to monitor LSM systems as well as DMR/NXDN/ProVoice and others, I think it's probably the most logical choice for the GPS. The idea of running a cable to my bcd536 and having gPS capability on both scanners is just icing on the cake.

Question for Jon: I read that your mod is a battery-run gps, just how does that work? Is it a stand alone unit or does it charge through the sds? Curious...

wbswetnam

Question for Jon: I read that your mod is a battery-run gps, just how does that work? Is it a stand alone unit or does it charge through the sds? Curious...

Jon, I was also wondering if you had found a way to marry an internal GPS with the SDS100.

jim202

One point to keep in mind while traveling in Alaska, make sure you do some careful planning on your fuel usage. The gas stations are not as frequent there as they are in the lower states. Fuel costs are higher there also.

Good luck on your trip. If you are in the area of Portage, been a while since I was there last so I may have the name wrong, but there is a wild life refuge there that is worth going to see. This is south of Anchorage. You have the ability to drive the road around the place.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Been to Canada many times over the years and no problems with scanners in my RV. Having a ham ticket and a Nexus pass is invaluable in that regard. They just wave me thru the checkpoint at the border with scanners and ham radios in plain sight. Questioned once in the Yukon on a hunting trip by Park Police and my ham license was immediately recognized and respected.

Courtesy and common sense goes a long way in getting along with LEOs anywhere you are. Don't have the officer's frequencies up with the audio blaring when he walks up to your vehicle. They don't like to hear themselves or their agencies on your scanner. Have my ham ticket at the ready and prominently displayed. My wife turns the radios all off but one, and on that one she will push the WX button and put it at low volume if we are being approached by any officials. We are well traveled and have learned many lessons over the years. I also drove a commercial vehicle for 17 years and delivered in Canada quite often so I do know their laws and their systems. If you obey the laws and do not indulge in criminal behavior and put yourself on the law enforcement radar, you usually don't have anything to worry about.

A license for a digital scanner? Maybe I'm too old school and not up on the current Canadian laws, but years ago I looked into this and could not find where to obtain one and I read somewhere (here maybe?) that the license for a digital scanner in Canada was a myth. (?) I believe an FCC license pretty much covers your behind almost anywhere you travel.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
One point to keep in mind while traveling in Alaska, make sure you do some careful planning on your fuel usage. The gas stations are not as frequent there as they are in the lower states. Fuel costs are higher there also.

Good luck on your trip. If you are in the area of Portage, been a while since I was there last so I may have the name wrong, but there is a wild life refuge there that is worth going to see. This is south of Anchorage. You have the ability to drive the road around the place.

Thanks, jim202. We have plans to do Denali State Park, the Kenai Peninsula, and the Copper River area. Contemplating the ferry from Juneau to Sitka island but with an RV it is almost 2k to book a trip. Worth it to me tho. Sitka has always been a magical place for me. Had a friend many years ago who lived in the wild there cutting spruce to sell to the Gibson guitar factory in Bozeman, MT, and I still remember his stories about that place. Doing my homework now on Alaska scanner frequencies!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Generally my MO for scanning is to use the full database and GPS while I'm on the road. I'll create Favorites Lists for destinations. While at destinations, I turn off the full database and scan only the FL.

The only fear I have is that some systems are pretty complicated and just looking at the database could be misleading or confusing. For example, a city may be part of a county or state system rather than identified specifically. So nuances can lead to missed stuff.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Generally my MO for scanning is to use the full database and GPS while I'm on the road. I'll create Favorites Lists for destinations. While at destinations, I turn off the full database and scan only the FL.

The only value to a FL is to customize what you're scanning vs the scanning the database. There's no point ing creating a FL just for the sake of creating one, if all you do is copy local stuff from the database. The value is in trimming out stuff you're not interested in scanning. Typically that requires listening to the database for a while to identify channels that might be of interest, but are too staticy to copy, mislabeled, etc. If you're going to be there for a few days, then it's probably worth the effort. But if you're only there for a few hours, probably not.

wbswetnam

Another advantage of favorites lists is that you can 'custom tailor' the text tags to something more meaningful to you.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Generally my MO for scanning is to use the full database and GPS while I'm on the road. I'll create Favorites Lists for destinations. While at destinations, I turn off the full database and scan only the FL..

This is exactly how I plan to integrate gps scanning with fl/sl scanning. I like to plan my trip with my scanner settings and fuel stops and camping locations. I have gps on my laptop with a cusztomized copy of DeLorme which notifies me of my zipcode status and is really handy for that. It is tedious tho to keep up with the zipcodes while driving, which is why I am contemplating the gps mod on my sds100 when I get it. You have to have a system otherwise it's frequency chaos and you have no idea what you are hearing or who you are listening to. That's why when I am at a planned stop I have the FLS and SLs already loaded with that location and with alpha tags. May be time consuming and tedious to do, but sure am glad I took the time when I am finally there and relaxed with scanners in tune.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The value is in trimming out stuff you're not interested in scanning. Typically that requires listening to the database for a while to identify channels that might be of interest

Which is what I'm doing, as my travels take me to the same places where I'm familiar with the area, radio systems, geography, agencies, etc. Or sometimes I may contact other scanner users living in a "new" area and ask if they would share FLs with me.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I truly think both modes have their purpose. Because the sds is so versatile and has the capabilities to monitor LSM systems as well as DMR/NXDN/ProVoice and others, I think it's probably the most logical choice for the GPS. The idea of running a cable to my bcd536 and having gPS capability on both scanners is just icing on the cake.

It also gets to be a very expensive scanner if you plan on getting all of those optional choices.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
As jonwienke said...

No comparison.

Coming from a guy who just got back from a trip to California with his psr800, you will soon get tired and frustrated trying to constantly load and re-load stuff. I ended up just keeping it in spectrum sweeper mode and entering frequencies manually that way. It worked well enough but depending on how much (or how little) you want to hear this isn't the best solution. Of course it also depends on how mobile you are and how much time you're spending in one location.

I've used several of my different units on trips and the gps-equipped are just too easy. I've also pre-planned trips by entering what I figured would be the basic route of travel and ultimate location and turned lists/favs on and off along the way. That option is good if you aren't going through a lot of jurisdictions or the "home base" is the main source of monitoring.

Sure, it's fun playing around with stuff, which is why we do it, and after a while you learn the trials and tribulations of this hobby, ultimately settling in on something that's best for you. And really, how else are you going to know...? ;)

Good luck on your trip and report back. Let us know what you've found and how things work. That will be good information for all of us.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Will do, AuntEnvy, summer 2019. I am looking forward to Alaska for the hunting and fishing and camping, but not so much for playing scanner. From what I am seeing and hearing as I plan for my adventure, most of Alaska is encrypted communications when it comes to LE and Park officials, just who I would want to monitor, which just gives me more time to play in the woods:)

Status
Not open for further replies.