• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Saber Bricked During Programming?

livitup311

Hello,

I have a very nice looking SABER II (not systems/Astro). I was able to read the codeplug using Saber RSS. When I tried to write a codeplug back to the radio, it displayed ERR 01 04. Now it's just stuck at that screen no matter what I do and RSS can't read it any more.

I suspect my computer wasn't slow enough, causing a corrupted write. Is the radio a brick? Do I need to replace the EEPROM? If so, is there a good place to find them?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
There may be hope but FIRST you've got to make sure you've got a suitably slow and old PC to program with. Nothing faster than a 486-100, and a 386 would be even better.
If you have that taken care of, create a new file for your radio type but make it a no keypad model. So if you have an H43SAK7139CN model, create a file for an H43SAN7139CN, add in some default data, and write it to the radio BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT, open up the radio and remove the front cover/shield assembly and unplug the cable to the LCD display/front shield. (Entirely remove the cable and set it aside.) Then put the shield back on because you want the speaker to work, obviously. Now reassemble the radio with the front display board disconnected.

Write the new file to the radio. There's a fair chance that you will now have a working Saber 1.

If that works, then reconnect the display board and now go back and rewrite the radio to its correct SAJ or SAK type model number.
Will this work? I've had it work before. I've also had it NOT work. So it's an experiment. And kind of fun.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
You may have a chance of fixing this if you have the right computer setup. You need a true dos computer running on 386 era platform and using a real RIB. Try your local HAM groups and local radio shops. You may have killed it, but you may just need to re-write your saved initial file with a proper setup.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
The method I described above can work because there is no error checking when you tell the Saber it's a different model, and when it is set to think it's a Saber 1 then the entire operational software/firmware package is loaded into the 5D, 6D, or 8D CORE memory and it should be essentially brick-proof. Or, more properly, 100 percent recoverable as long as the eeproms and other core computer system components are not damaged. So this process should restore the radio to a base operable state and then you can rewrite it as a Saber II or III (beware of the difference between 2K limited memory Saber II and 8K memory Saber II) and it should take just fine.

I have a handful of Saber II/III front shield assemblies in good working order, if anybody needs them for repairs or upgrades. All are 8K memory so they will go up to a full Saber III.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The method I described above can work because there is no error checking when you tell the Saber it's a different model, and when it is set to think it's a Saber 1 then the entire operational software/firmware package is loaded into the 5D, 6D, or 8D CORE memory and it should be essentially brick-proof. Or, more properly, 100 percent recoverable as long as the eeproms and other core computer system components are not damaged. So this process should restore the radio to a base operable state and then you can rewrite it as a Saber II or III (beware of the difference between 2K limited memory Saber II and 8K memory Saber II) and it should take just fine.

I have a handful of Saber II/III front shield assemblies in good working order, if anybody needs them for repairs or upgrades. All are 8K memory so they will go up to a full Saber III.
Elroy, whats your experience with Systems Sabers that don't want to be read and randomly transmit when the programming cable is attached? I have a batch like this and it is a first for me. My PC is a 486SLC IBM PS/2 and is pretty much RSS ready.,

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The biggest challenge will be retuning the radio. If one has the appropriate period correct PC, (286/386 running DOS) with slow UART, cable and get get a WORKING codeplug back in, the radio's tuning values stored may be trashed and it may work poorly if at all.
These radios were sold when Ronald Reagan was still in office and when Bush Sr became president. They are that old. It can become a time and resource vampire. They are nice to look at, but keeping radios this old alive in 2023 is an exercise in futility. Aside, they can't be used for anything but part 97.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Incidentally I have some nice examples of Sabers that I have hanging around for nostalgic purposes. I can't even program them myself anymore. I'm kind of tempted to make an offer and might as well do it here. If you can program them, I'll give you one if you program another one to my requirements and send it back to me. They're all Saber IIIs, VHF and UHF models both. I think they're all in usable sub bands.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I can program Sabers. I still have an old Win98 machine that boots to DOS. I am 99% sure I still have a cable at the shop.. My personal cable got borrowed and lost.. The problem is I don't have a battery anymore to use they all died of old age

wtp

the wife took some of my old and useless scanners and radio parts and has made a little "olde time box" of stuff in an entertainment center.
the computer one has a zaxxon motherboard and other stuff in it.
so some stuff went from around the house, to, "what the heck is that" ?

RFI-EMI-GUY

The biggest challenge will be retuning the radio. If one has the appropriate period correct PC, (286/386 running DOS) with slow UART, cable and get get a WORKING codeplug back in, the radio's tuning values stored may be trashed and it may work poorly if at all.
These radios were sold when Ronald Reagan was still in office and when Bush Sr became president. They are that old. It can become a time and resource vampire. They are nice to look at, but keeping radios this old alive in 2023 is an exercise in futility. Aside, they can't be used for anything but part 97.
The Systems Sabers are Part 95 certified, which is weird because they also have Securenet. But it is had to find a 440-470 band Systems Saber so I swap 440-470 band modules into the 403-433 band chassis ex fed radios.

I agree they are a vampire for technology required to support. But in my opinion they are solid performers and Motorola sort of went backwards with later model radios as far as size, performance and durability, not to mention all the FLASH upgrades to make later models work.

As far as tuning, the hard part is the modulation compensation. I have the gear to do it but it is tedious to set up, so I do radios in batches.

RFI-EMI-GUY

the wife took some of my old and useless scanners and radio parts and has made a little "olde time box" of stuff in an entertainment center.
the computer one has a zaxxon motherboard and other stuff in it.
so some stuff went from around the house, to, "what the heck is that" ?
Pictures?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Incidentally I have some nice examples of Sabers that I have hanging around for nostalgic purposes. I can't even program them myself anymore. I'm kind of tempted to make an offer and might as well do it here. If you can program them, I'll give you one if you program another one to my requirements and send it back to me. They're all Saber IIIs, VHF and UHF models both. I think they're all in usable sub bands.
I cant guarantee how fast I could turn around. Programming will be quick. But if tuning of Mod Comp required, it will have to wait for a turn of the crank.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I sent you a message...

BrhatWeed

Premium Subscriber
I have two saber-3s (8k securenet H43 & H44) with good front panels that I'm willing to part with for the price of retrieving and printing out the codeplugs. Message or email me. One was dropped and the other got +18v on the battery terminals because I wasn't paying attention to the bench supply.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I have two saber-3s (8k securenet H43 & H44) with good front panels that I'm willing to part with for the price of retrieving and printing out the codeplugs. Message or email me. One was dropped and the other got +18v on the battery terminals because I wasn't paying attention to the bench supply.
A reminder that Buy, Trade and Sell is to take place in the Classifieds forums.

Thanks