Sac SO - new patrol car look

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
The siren/light control pictured is not a Code 3 unit, but rather a Federal Signal SmartSiren...it looks like the standard SS2000SM-SC version. It controls the lightbar and siren functions, and the siren sounds good if used with a good 100w speaker (which it is in this case, the FS TS100). The control box for the siren is mounted in the center console, which is not a good idea as they have a history of overheating and causing premature siren amp failure if adequate ventilation is not provided.

The lightbar, on the other hand...well, they suck! We've begun using the Arjent on our new '06 cars. The light pattern and flash patterns leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

2wayguru

Back in Late Summer of 99 Sac SO had 2 cars Black and white just like the one pictured but with the MX7000 Light bars on display during the California State Fair at the booth where the sold Sac SO merchandise. They had a console in it with a TM4 and a MCS2000 Radio. I like the Black and white look, I also remember when they had Impalas that were green and white with 2 beacon rotators, I think they were grothe lights with 2 lolipop lights and a crome siren speaker in the middle. I also remember the brown uniforms before they went to green. I remember back in 94 when they went to the black uniforms, I really like the black uniforms, I also know McGinness personally and I remember when he was riding a motorcycle. The last time I talked to him was at a carnival back in 93.

556fmj

I didn't know the color of the SSD cars would be a topic but I find it interesting. Some of the cars that have spotlights came from the contract cities. Most of them were re-marked with SSD logos. Some have one spotlight the others had dual. I have driven both types.

The LED bars are really nice. Slim profile helps on gas and less wind drag with the MX7000s. I have driven a car with the Code 3 2100 bar. We have a few with the Code 3 Excalibur LED bars and several K9 units also have them.

I'm still on the fence in regards to the black and whites color scheme.

RolnCode3

We're going to be buying lightbars for our SUVs. I'm pushing for the halogen MX7000s (just because they're great bars), but the LED Excaliburs look pretty good (a few RCPD units have 'em). Haven't seen the LED version listed in any catalogs, though...just the halogen version.

I guess Lehr Automotive has the County contract for lighting equipment, so we have to go with whatever they have, or can get.

McGinness used to be on the Parkway detail, right? Our guys always talk about the old mounted and M/C patrol days.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Don't know about the black and white color, but the graphics are great. Nice and clean without having to guess which agency it is surrounded by wavy lines or stripes

556fmj

The black disc that looks like a hockey puck is from AntennaPlus. It is the millenium antenna for the Motorola MDT system. Im not familar with the others.

RolnCode3

Sheriff's cruisers take on black-and-white look
By Christina Jewett - Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, December 14, 2006
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (18)

The Sacramento Sheriff's Department is switching to black-and-white squad cars in hopes of making the force appear to be everywhere all the time. Sacramento Sheriff's Department

What's black and white and seems to be all over?

Sacramento sheriff's cruisers. At least, that's the desired effect.

Under a plan by Sheriff John McGinness, the department will gradually replace its white cars with black-and-whites, a move designed to make the force appear to be everywhere all the time.

"I want the perception to be that every time you turn around, there's a black-and-white," he said. "We want people to have one of two reactions: 'Oh, thank God, a patrol car is here,' or 'Oh my God, a patrol car is here.' "

So far, 14 black-and-white cars are patrolling the county, with 110 ordered to arrive in coming months, said sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran.

In three years, the 350-vehicle fleet will be updated as cars are replaced when they hit 100,000 miles. The change comes at no additional cost, Curran said.

The return to retro colors is being seen across the nation, with departments in Wisconsin, Arizona and California adopting the traditional appearance, according to Ed Nowicki, executive director of the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association.

"It is retro, but I hope it's a permanent change ... not just a trend," Nowicki said.

Sacramento police have been behind the wheel of black-and-white cars as far back as officials can recall, said spokesman Sgt. Terrell Marshall.

McGinness, who was sworn in as sheriff in July, said he was inspired to call for the change after reading in a law enforcement publication that Costa Mesa police had good results after switching color schemes.

Costa Mesa Police Lt. Karl Schuler said he studied the history of police car colors to make a pitch to the Costa Mesa City Council to repaint and upgrade cars at a cost of $3,000 per car.

Schuler said the zebra color scheme first appeared in the United States in the 1920s, when nearly all cars were black. Officers painted the doors white to set them apart, launching a national trend.

Later, white cars came into favor, Schuler said. They are cooler in the heat. They grew popular in an era of community-oriented policing because they give off a "softer" image, he said. But there are problems with white cars, including the fact that they can be mistaken for private security cars.

Schuler said the Costa Mesa department rolled out new cars to achieve a uniform 45-car black-and-white fleet in 2004.

"People said, 'Where did you get all the police officers?' " he said. "(The cars) really pop out to your eyes."

McGinness said he hopes to see the same force-multiplying effect.

The department patrols the unincorporated county of about 600,000 residents -- including the city of Rancho Cordova -- with 490 patrol deputies, according to an audit of the department released in February.

Whether or not the new cars beef up apparent police presence, the newly elected leader likes the look.

"I think it's a better visual image," McGinness said.

ctrabs74

RolnCode3 said:
What's black and white and seems to be all over?

Sacramento sheriff's cruisers. At least, that's the desired effect.

There was a similar article in USA Today a few months ago about how LE agencies are opting for the black/white look.

556fmj

servo_fan said:
How do black and white cars make it seems like the force is everywhere all the time?

My guess is because of SPD and CHP are also black and whites it seems there would be more cars driving around...

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
servo_fan said:
How do black and white cars make it seems like the force is everywhere all the time?
One-color cars, with just some striping and a logo, usually don't stand out nearly as much as do black & whites.

Some years ago when LAPD was VERY short on officers, they painted almost all their unmarked cars, even detective units, with white doors, the city seal and the word "Police" to give the illusion of more officers on the street. Not the "undercover" type vehicles, just the plain cars. It didn't last long, and the detectives hated getting flagged down constantly for minor stuff, for which they wouldn't normally have even been noticed.

sac-emt

During my travels in the county lately, I am seeing alot more of the SSD B&W units.

We will see more of the "White" vehicles at EVOC.

Even though I work in the Public Safety world, the Black and White units do catch you eye. Especially, if you have good peripherial vision.

DHSSMF

Sac Co Black & White

I saw the pics of the new county design. Heres one I took sometime around summer 00. Just a show car back then.

Attachments

• 384869.jpg
    384869.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Sac916

RolnCode3 said:
That's before they went to the full graphics set, huh? A preview...but not exactly the best looking car I've ever seen.

That's a "recruiting" and "public affiars" vehicle during the Sesquicentennial Celebration. That particular photo is at Cal Expo. Those vehicles never hit the streets to handle patrol, just "eye candy".

A couple weeks ago, a "new" Black & White was stationed in front of 711 G Street for a bit over a week. Looks pretty, except for all the dust and leaves that it collected!

If every SSD vehicle was "marked" - I think you would be shocked on how many cars are roving around. There are a ton - The amount of vehicles driving around was a critical component to the recent audit of the Sheriff's Dept. Even if you took out the "undercover" vehicles, you would still be amazed how many official on-duty SSD vehicles are on the streets.

servo_fan

I especially like the hubcaps on that thing.

I also think it's interesting that Elk Grove, which as far as I know is not tied to SSD in any way any longer, is also moving to the black and white cars, (see pics on the first page of this thread). I wonder if it was done to differentiate themselves from SSD, but now they all look the same again.

If they really wanted to make it seem like there were more units around, they should switch to Camry's or something. :D

RolnCode3

I remember hearing that the B&W units are cheaper. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case...and the reason for the switch. Not a critique...just an observation.

I know you guys have a van and a Dodge Magnum in FULL graphics kits (top to bottom, front to back) that look pretty slick...for recruiting purposes.

I've seen the fleet of squads at the North Corp yard waiting to get built up. Just drive by a station house and you'll see how many vehicles there are.

Then you have the Nora, Union, Detectives, X-rays, Motors, etc. as well...lots of vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.