Sac SO - new patrol car look

Status
Not open for further replies.

servo_fan

rolncode3 said:
I know you guys have a van and a Dodge Magnum in FULL graphics kits (top to bottom, front to back) that look pretty slick...for recruiting purposes.
EGPD has a PT Cruiser for that, which does look pretty cool in a geek squad kind of way.

So patrol is all Ford since Chevy stopped making the Caprice, but the recruit vehicles are Chrysler. I wonder if Chrysler wants to get into the business? From my limited experience a few years ago, the guys on the street preferred the Caprices to the Crown Vics. And I can say after getting T-Boned while on a ride along, the Caprice we were in made it all the way back downtown for us to pick up another car...another Caprice.

selgaran

DHSSMF said:
That sat shot is alomst 3 years old

True. But since I drive by there every month or two, I can tell you it is still essentially accurate. CHP uses a LOT of cars.

sonticus

Resurrecting this old thread to show a pic of a recruiting/publicity vehicle I saw in the parking lot at 711 G St the other day. There's no MDT in it, and I don't think there was even a radio installed. It's unfortunate because even the SSDK9 Camaro (also pictured) is a fully-functioning police K9 vehicle that's just used for publicity (it has the kennel, a radio, & MDT all included just in case a dog is needed while someone is driving it). Anyways, I think the Black & White color scheme works well, especially on this show vehicle.

More pics of the SSDK9 Camaro

Attachments

• GT.jpg
    GT.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 220
  • camaro.jpg
    camaro.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 234

sonticus

And Sheriff McGinness has stressed that he will not be bringing back green uniforms, the black ones will stay (thank God).

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I also noticed that North Sac CHP has a few all white slick tops with a single row LED light bar in the rear deck and LED's mounted on the side mirrors and push bumper. I did not get to see in the cars but I would suspect they also have a TacNet system in them. I have a little video of one at a crash that I will post to my youtube when I get a chance.

RolnCode3

scannerboy02 said:
I also noticed that North Sac CHP has a few all white slick tops with a single row LED light bar in the rear deck and LED's mounted on the side mirrors and push bumper. I did not get to see in the cars but I would suspect they also have a TacNet system in them. I have a little video of one at a crash that I will post to my youtube when I get a chance.
That LED setup might be off of the new RFB they put out earlier this year. Push bumper and mirror beams would be abnormal for them, so maybe someone won and they're producing the systems.

We saw that Mustang at the motor pool and downtown garage, and were wondering what was up with it. Looks good.

commstar

Premium Subscriber
As a historical note, there used to be a very obscure section in the California Administrative Code (now obsolete and totally replaced by the CCR in circa 1988) that REQUIRED that any police vehicle in the state used for traffic enforcement had to be clearly marked as such and have its doors painted white.

I was in the business for nearly 10 years before I saw this deployed on a collegue who was assigned an unmarked car to use on a OTS DUI grant. He had hooked a DUI and testified under cross about the car not being marked and was completely Dark blue w/ a slick top.

Crafty defense attorney rolled this one out and the DA dumped the case on the spot after a minute or two of hand wringing while reading this most obscure of all sections.

Alas, I can find no vestage of this section in the new CCR.

However, as inferential support I offer the lack of agencies involved in traffic enforcement operating without at least the front two doors of thier cars painted white.

Even in the contrasting days of Oaklands Tan & Whites, Berkeley's Pink and Whites (!)(Chevy Citations too as I recall), Vallejo PD's Orange and Whites and SFPD's light blue and whites (dodge diplomats?). Even the Bay Area Air Qaulity Management District had Gold and White marked patrol cars- thier sole duty was to give out pollution cites to cars producing smoke at a density greater that #10 on the ringelman chart. These pollution cops wore blazers on patrol too. Anyway, the common thread was the white doors on patrol cars used for primarily traffic enforcement.

I was told by a then long retired copper that this was done in beginning days of the migration of dustbowlers to California for agri-picking jobs. There many instances of where folks were stopped and 'fined' or 'bailed out' on the spot in the field by unknown 'cops' in plain wrapper cars for nebulous/made-up infractions of law.

I digress.

White: a contrasting color, yes perhaps, but I assert it was because of this obscure section in the now defunct CAC and became tradition because of it although most did not know how or why.

If anyone happens to know of a searchable verison of the defunct California Administrative Code that is FREE please post a link.....

hoser147

Hey Roln the cars you posted in the beginning look exactly like my hometown cruisers. Same CV with BnW paint job. Same light bar. Whe have had Black and Whites since the early eighty's. I must say that the light bars are a very good looking and really does a fine job. We have had zero problems with them after approx 3 years use. the biggest complaint on them is they cant be seen when off by the motoring public. They hate them. But all the guys like them. The Black and White is a high visibility car, But it is amazing how easily you can hide one. With the color breakup they really blend in, when working stationary radar if there is a few signs around it really breaks up the car. If I can I will post a pic one of ours on here. Take care Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.