SAFE-T RIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

usswood

OMG, I LUV IT...I'm just like Steve too, I have a ton of RIDs...I'm gonna start filling in mine tonight!!! However, I must say great start and this should be a lot of fun!

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Awesome! Now we just have to get in the habit of coming to the Wiki when we get a new one or make a change :)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
As I said there is no Wiki for Westchester, just a blank page. I can provide the RID's from Unitrunker, ( most are FD, EMS and Police) but I am not comfortable in placing them in the Wiki. Also I put a lot of personal notes that might not have much meaning to others outside West Co. and I don't know how they would transfer.

kevin.r

Premium Subscriber
download all RIDs as CSV

The RID tables on the wiki are awesome! Thanks folks for you work on this.

One thing I wanted to have was a spreadsheet that contained all of the data. I understand the need to split into 13 pages on the wiki, but that would be a lot of copy/paste into Excel every time something changes, so I went looking for a better solution.

I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I wrote a small Perl script that downloads each of the 13 RID pages from the wiki, parses the tables, and outputs the fields to a CSV file. The CSV file can then be easily opened in Excel or a similar application.

Question for the wiki manager or site owner: is this semi-automated downloading of the wiki data permitted by the RR Terms of Service? If so, I would be happy to share my Perl code in the forum in case anyone else would like to do the same thing. I would not distribute the CSV file that is output, just the code that produces it.

My eventual goal with this is to automatically add or merge the RID data from the wiki with the system file that Trunk88 uses, but that's a lot more complex so I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing it.

Kevin

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Kevin, I don't believe you have violated the TOS as long as you are not using the downloaded data for any commercial purpose.

I don't know how general purpose your script might be. I imagine that it was written to specifically address the table format use in the SAFE-T RID articles, so it may not work on every RR Wiki table. However, if you would like to share your script, you can upload it to the Wiki and create a link to it on the main Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T Wiki article.

kevin.r

Premium Subscriber
Kevin, I don't believe you have violated the TOS as long as you are not using the downloaded data for any commercial purpose.

I don't know how general purpose your script might be. I imagine that it was written to specifically address the table format use in the SAFE-T RID articles, so it may not work on every RR Wiki table. However, if you would like to share your script, you can upload it to the Wiki and create a link to it on the main Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T Wiki article.

Thanks! Yes, I will just be using the data for personal (scanning hobby) use.

You are correct, the script in its current form will only work with the SAFE-T RID articles. If other RID wiki articles follow a similar approach as the SAFE-T articles using MediaWiki tables then someone with a bit of Perl knowledge could modify the code to work with those. Also, if the table header information (field names) in the SAFE-T RID tables change, my script will not function.

I just found a bug with my code due to a character that exists in the table data on RID page 6. I will fix that and do more testing, then put the code and instructions up on the wiki as a .txt file linked from SAFE-T article.

Note that I'm not a programmer, so don't expect a perfect solution. There will be bugs. As usual there are no warranties, but I will provide "best effort" support for my code.

Kevin

joshua80

radio id organization

Does the SAFE-T system have any rhyme or reason as to how they issue the ids. It seems as though they just issue ids as an agency goes to the statewide sytem. Michigan breaks it down by zone, county, and radio id.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
OMG, I LUV IT...I'm just like Steve too, I have a ton of RIDs...I'm gonna start filling in mine tonight!!! However, I must say great start and this should be a lot of fun!

Where's your ID's man?!? :p You started this!! :cool:

usswood

Im having trouble editing the wiki...i don't understand how to put the spaces and everything in it....is there a tutorial that im missing

ok, i figured a copy n paste way of doing it so I have begun LOL! :p

I added bout 15 or so, will do some everyday starting at 00000 and working my way up!

let me know if im adding enough information also

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Dubois County EMS RID's updated...

The Shack's Back Up & Operational, so more to come from District 34 and 35 land....

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I've been slacking on the list lately. Hope to get my updates in there soon. I just added 300+ Floyd County RID's :D

I think the formatting and the little bit of a PITA it is has hindered a lot of people from adding their info. Not sure if there is a better way to do this or not.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are some tools that can convert an Excel spreadsheet to MediaWiki tables. I've never used them and I don't know if it would help.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Yeah, I use the one I posted in this thread earlier. It works great, it just takes time to insert them, especially when you're entering one or two odd balls at a time and not a block of ID's. Adding blocks are quick and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.