SDS100/SDS200: **SAFETY ALERT** SDS100 battery severely swelled

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
My small battery is not swollen but it is not being recognized by my SDS100 and will not charge while in unit either. The battery indicator does not show any voltage. The red charge light blinks for about 10 seconds when hooked to power and then turns off. Will contact Uniden to see about a replacement battery.

MrThompson

I race RC boats with LiPo batteries. We always store at 50%. These RC batteries have another connector besides the charge connector that the special charger can control discharge and charging of each cell to 1/100th of a volt. When you select storage on the charger it discharges/charges the cells to exactly 50%. Following these rules my batteries don't swell. It's too bad we have this problem with our scanner batteries. This might be hard to control.

Same here. I maintain about fifty LiPos in various sizes for my quads. Out of season with a four port balanced charger, figure most of an afternoon every couple of months just for maintenance, with some LiPos requiring an individual cell charge to bring back the cell before putting them on the balanced charger. Even so with top quality batteries I have had a few "puffers". Other than my tiny whoop, all batteries with a decent power density are charged outside with a five gallon bucket of sand on standby for fire suppression. When not in use the batteries are stored in steel ammo cans to contain a possible fire.

LiPos are used in RC suff due to leight weight, power density and cost. I'll add that I've spent much o my professional life advising electronics manufacturers heat on dissipation. IMHO LiPos do not belong in an EDC radio.

Even though the puffers in this thread are most likely due to user ignorance why wasn't proper storage addressed in the documentation?

When I purchased the SDD100 it was not clear that it relied on LiPos for power. As far as I am concerned this is the last straw, after Uniden's response during my last tech support call "This is the first I have heard of this. The last software update was supposed to fix this. You can wait for the next software update. If that doesn't fix it you can send the radio in for repair". I've had the TURD for a week, Uniden expects the customer to wait for a possible fix in the next software update and if that doesn't work send the radio in for repair (four to five weeks)? The folks running Uniden must be smoking the same stuff as all the Mil/Spec aerospace manufacturers I used to advise, whom insisted on spending our taxes on poorly engineered poopoo.

I hear a sad tune Whistling...

Last edited:

hsdtech

Seems like Uniden should have at least made an optional battery holder/cover that uses AA batts. As an option.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Seems like Uniden should have at least made an optional battery holder/cover that uses AA batts. As an option.

Easier said than done I'd think. They would probably need to design in safety circuits so AA batts cannot charge for example.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Easier said than done I'd think. They would probably need to design in safety circuits so AA batts cannot charge for example.
A safety measure to prevent the batteries from being charged I would not think at this point is an issue as it has been done on the 436 I think the issue was that too much power is required to operate the radio overall and Double A's couldn't do the job.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Unication LiPo batteries had similar problems, forcing the company to switch back to Li-ion last year. Realistically, rechargeable batteries should be relatively user-proof. You should not have to follow a "preflight checklist" before use that would challenge an electrical engineer.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Unication LiPo batteries had similar problems, forcing the company to switch back to Li-ion last year. Realistically, rechargeable batteries should be relatively user-proof. You should not have to follow a "preflight checklist" before use that would challenge an electrical engineer.

Was there a specific reason that LiPo and not Li-ion batteries were used ?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Was there a specific reason that LiPo and not Li-ion batteries were used ?
Don't know for sure. I'd suspect Unication believed they'd provide better service under the challenging conditions their pagers are sometimes used. Or, perhaps the Li-Po just consumed less space than an equivalent Li-Ion. My G5 shipped with the Li-Ion and the battery cover extends out 1/8 inch beyond the body of the pager.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
My G5 shipped with the Li-Ion and the battery cover extends out 1/8 inch beyond the body of the pager.
1/8th inch is normal for both types. Mine shipped with the Li-Po but still sticks out an 1/8th inch or so.
Other user reports of Unication replacing their defective Li-Po cells with an Li-Ion cell have never indicated a different battery cover was needed. I'd say the physical size must be the same between the two chemistries.

edit: My Li-Po cell is still fine in my G5.

Last edited:

WeBeCinYa

Some of you guys need to relax, he was speaking of similarities in batteries between unification (dare I say that word in this thread). Stop being so sensitive.

Back to topic, from what I understand the batteries are only having issues if out of the scanners at this point, correct?

mule1075

Feed Provider
Some of you guys need to relax, he was speaking of similarities in batteries between unification (dare I say that word in this thread). Stop being so sensitive.

Back to topic, from what I understand the batteries are only having issues if out of the scanners at this point, correct?
Yes and Yes.