SAME Weather Alert - BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2002
Messages
985
Reaction score
55
Location
Erie, PA
Can't seem to get the SAME feature to work. I've entered the codes, but when I choose the type of alert I want, it asks me if I want to do a quick save of my weather frequency. If I say yes, it saves it in a new quick save system. I don't know where to go from that point?
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
scnrfrq said:
Can't seem to get the SAME feature to work. I've entered the codes, but when I choose the type of alert I want, it asks me if I want to do a quick save of my weather frequency. If I say yes, it saves it in a new quick save system. I don't know where to go from that point?

MENU - WX OPERATION - WX ALERT - (whatever you called your SAME group - defaults to SAME 1)

Joe M.
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
I think this is a stupid feature. It only works when your in the weather mode. If it worked while trunking or scanning, it would be great.

Jerry
 

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
Messages
2,018
Reaction score
277
I think this is a stupid feature.
Then don't use it.

It only works when your in the weather mode. If it worked while trunking or scanning, it would be great.
Just as with Fire Tone Out, if you are scanning then part of the message will be missed and that ruins the decoding. What you are asking for takes two receivers.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
eyes00only said:
I think this is a stupid feature. It only works when your in the weather mode. If it worked while trunking or scanning, it would be great.

Jerry

Yes, I agree that it's stupid to think that you can receive two frequencies simultaneously with only one receiver circuit.

BUT, you can always use WX PRI which will sample the WX channels every few seconds looking for the 1050 Hz tone which lasts 8 seconds and can BE SEEN on the WX channel with such infrequent sampling - unlike the SAME which lasts a fraction of one second and can be missed unless you sample the WX channel every 100 mS or so, but then you wouldn't hear much else, would you?

If YOU come up with a cost effective way to add a second receiver to a scanner that can be dedicated to the WX channels while the scanner is tuned to other frequencies, be sure to mention it to Paul Opitz. 8)

(keep in mind that it has to fit in the size of the BCD396T, too!)

Joe M.
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
GEE!, I think you took my comment a little harsher than I meant it. I do the WX PRI when I know the weather is volatile, but as with any priority being used, it does break up voice transmissions. Our solution in the command center at work is having an inexpensive weather alert radio on 24/7.

Jerry
 

scnrfrq

Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2002
Messages
985
Reaction score
55
Location
Erie, PA
SAME

I think I understand now. When I choose Weather Alert, SAME 1, my weather frequency appears. I must leave it in that mode if I want to hear the SAME alerts. Guess I was hoping I could go back to scan and hear the alerts at the same time, but I see that's not possible.
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
Re: SAME

scnrfrq said:
I think I understand now. When I choose Weather Alert, SAME 1, my weather frequency appears. I must leave it in that mode if I want to hear the SAME alerts. Guess I was hoping I could go back to scan and hear the alerts at the same time, but I see that's not possible.

I'm glad we could help.

Jerry
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
I think Uniden covers this pretty well; from page 110 of the printed manual:
Your scanner has been primarily designed to be a radio scanner. While it incorporates weather alert as one of its features, we strongly recommend that you not use the scanner as you sole means for receiving emergency alerts. Your local electronics retailer carries several weather radios specifically designed for this function.
And although I don't feel it is completely useless, I find it about as useful as the fire tone out feature. I don't use either one.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
eyes00only said:
GEE!, I think you took my comment a little harsher than I meant it. I do the WX PRI when I know the weather is volatile, but as with any priority being used, it does break up voice transmissions. Our solution in the command center at work is having an inexpensive weather alert radio on 24/7.

Jerry

And that's a good solution for anyone with the 396, too.

Maybe I misunderstood your 'tone' when you said "I think this is a stupid feature."

It's handy when you are at a ballgame, out for dinner, at a movie theater (OK, that one is questionable judgement), in a meeting, sleeping, or any time you are at a location or event where you wouldn't want a scanner blairing out on routine traffic.

This is good for the FTO feature if you would prefer that, too.

It's not in any sense a stupid feature and has many valid uses.

Joe M.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top