Saskatoon Scanner .com

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Whatever happened to the guy that used to have saskatoonscanner.com? One day he way there and the next it was gone. Is there anyone in in Saskatoon that is into scanning?

73's

Joe

Today Is When

colby4601

Not sure whatever happened to him. He just dropped off the face of the earth. richster and/or Rob may know a bit more about him than me.

I think there are one or two more people other than you who scan in Saskatoon. I do whenever I pass through town, but that's not as often as before. And now that SPS is encrypted, I'm not finding excuses.

Speaking of which, is there anyone in Saskatoon who would be willing to post an online feed for Saskatoon Fire?

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the process of setting up my station with HF/VHF and UHF antennas. One of the scanners I'm setting up with be for aviation so I can pipe audio for LiveAtc.net for the Saskatoon airport. (CYXE)

If that works well and I have a spare computer and scanner I'll consider giving an EMS feed.

73's

Joe

http://www.TodayIsWhen.com

SCPD

QRT
Not sure whatever happened to him. He just dropped off the face of the earth.

I think he is probably in jail .. i'm sure the RCMP pounced on him in the middle of the night for streaming their communications without authorization.

I don't know why people think that they can put anyone's radio system on the internet and think that there will be no consequences for doing so.

Live and learn ..

colby4601

I think he is probably in jail .. i'm sure the RCMP pounced on him in the middle of the night for streaming their communications without authorization.

I don't know why people think that they can put anyone's radio system on the internet and think that there will be no consequences for doing so.

Live and learn ..

:roll:

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Have you had a look at the 2nd post on this site.

Saskatoon Live Police/Fire/EMS Scanner | Saskatoon | Canada

Ya, that was interesting. I didn't know people missed the scanning site so much.

As far as posting streams, in all the years I've been scanning (early 80ties) I would never contemplate giving out any information that would jeopardize the safety (or investigation) of the police or EMS. However when I published my first scanner book in 1989 I received some flack for publishing the frequencies and 10 code of the police.

The information was never restricted and easy to find on any scanner that had a search function. I also won a few tips of the month for information I supplied to the local media. Other than that, it's all been kept between the ears.

73's

Joe VE5JL
Today Is When © 2010

SCPD

QRT
I think that you guys think that I am joking. I recall not that long ago (ok well maybe it was long ago), but a RR member from Manitoba got a rude awakening from the RCMP when they kicked in his door and seized all his radio and computer equipment cause he was streaming their communications.

It is in the Radio Communications act that you cannot do this in Canada without authorization. Yes .. it is seldom that you will see a raid because someone is doing what they shouldn't. But don't be surprised when the police come knocking. The radio communications act also indicates that people are unable to repeat what they hear on their scanners or use what they hear to their benefit. As you can probably imagine .. both of these would be very hard to prove in court so it is rare that the government pounces on these laws.

I think that the VE5 member above had the right idea, if you keep it between your ears, you will not get yourself into trouble.

to clarify my last two posts... which I see are now deleted -_- the letter written to SPS before saskatoonscanner.com was registered was found to be sufficient to allow the site to operate. Openness and honesty go a long way especially when threatened by much more dangerous competition.

*** Working with the POLICE, is ALWAYS the best option. ***

Status
Not open for further replies.