Scan Cape Cod Major Feed Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

This ain't gettin us noplace, we'll have to blast!
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1,396
Location
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
As of this time, I am now providing my main scanner feed in two different manners.

1. ProScan. Download the ProScan client at http://proscan.org/ProScan_Client_1_0_Build_2.zip . The client is offered free of charge. You may require Microsoft .net Framework 2.0. When you install the client it should point you to the download, install it, and continue. This is a harmless install. More info on .net Framework 2.0 can be found at this site. ProScan offers you near realtime feed reception (about 1/2 second delay), a full display, historical data, and audio recording capability. It is to date clearly the best method for providing a scanner feed.

2. Windows Media Player. Same video display as with ProScan but with an approximate 15 second delay from realtime. Just about every Microsoft Windows PC or laptop has Windows Media Player on it. Connect to the feed via this link, or use the Feeds drop down menu here at the message forums and connect to the top feed. Be advised that this feed is streaming to a remote server, so I am at the mercy of its downtime. However, during the test phase, service was excellent.

The feed is now using a Uniden BC796D scanner which provides P25 reception of various entities around Cape Cod that now use that mode of communications.

I believe that this is the best combination for providing my feed. I would strongly recommend that you give ProScan a try; it is a fantastic program with some really nifty features unavailable anywhere else. I will be putting up a step by step instruction page as soon as possible, but the program is easy to install and use.

I will provide a link to the new webpage when it is built. Info will be updated shortly at the main page of this site. Thanks for your patience during this transition, and enjoy the new feed.
 

brandon

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,520
Reaction score
86
Location
SoCal
Nice feed Scott. I really like what you have done with Windows Media Player taking the ProScan data from it.

I too love ProScan... I am running the San Diego feed.
 

Uplink

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
446
Reaction score
17
Location
Los Angeles County
This is very interesting Scott. Thanks for the info. I thought it cost $50? Do you need any special player to listen with text? I am wondering why you abandonded your simplecast feed with that had medadata/serproxy text running. Just trying to compare advantages vs. disadvantages. Is this a screen capture?

thanks! Mark
 

KC1UA

This ain't gettin us noplace, we'll have to blast!
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1,396
Location
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
The server is $50, the ProScan client is free. I'm also capturing the screen with Windows Media Encoder and providing a feed in that manner for those who don't want to install ProScan. Those that use the ProScan client will receive the feed in almost real time with some extended features, and those that use Windows Media will have a 15-20 second delay. Getting the ProScan client and installing it is well worth the effort.

Last summer I had switched from the Simplecast/Icecast/monitor/serproxy method of feeding to ARC EazyStream. EazyStream is great software as well, but ProScan offers a complete interface to the radio from my end, and also provides the client with unique features like audio recording and historical data. It fits my needs best of any of them thus far.
 

Geronimo2000

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Nice feed Scott. I like the fact that you now know WHAT you are listening to because of the alpha tags. I also like the ProScan inteface as well (nice blue color). :D
 

KC1UA

This ain't gettin us noplace, we'll have to blast!
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1,396
Location
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
The ProScan interface is phenomenal. You can actually make the client, or the server, display in any combination of colors that you wish. This is available under Options > General.

Thanks for the comments.
 

K9GTJ

Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
602
Reaction score
3
Location
Kokomo, IN
scancapecod said:
I'm also capturing the screen with Windows Media Encoder and providing a feed in that manner for those who don't want to install ProScan.

How are you doing the screen caputre to a live session?
 

KC1UA

This ain't gettin us noplace, we'll have to blast!
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1,396
Location
Marstons Mills, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Windows Media Encoder 9 allows for the capture of a portion of the screen. During setup, choosing this option and clicking on a button allows you to start in the upper left of the selected area. You then drag the mouse cursor down and to the right until you have formed a "box" around the area you wish to capture. I'm doing this with ProScan's display area. Works great.
 

K9GTJ

Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
602
Reaction score
3
Location
Kokomo, IN
scancapecod said:
Windows Media Encoder 9 allows for the capture of a portion of the screen. During setup, choosing this option and clicking on a button allows you to start in the upper left of the selected area. You then drag the mouse cursor down and to the right until you have formed a "box" around the area you wish to capture. I'm doing this with ProScan's display area. Works great.

Duh - Sweet....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top