scanamerica stream service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnCowden

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2003
Messages
843
Reaction score
1
Location
London, Kentucky
who has control when it can be online ? id love to just stream during breaking events thanks.
what other policies are with this service
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
who has control when it can be online ? id love to just stream during breaking events thanks.
what other policies are with this service


Well ultimately YOU have control of when it can be online. All you have to do is disconnect from the icecast server or unplug the audio from the scanner to the PC. And whenever something happens just turn it back on.

Otherwise, from what I can tell, there is no way to remotely disable the feed from scanamerica's end, unless you're the admin to the icecast server.
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
All you need is a 1/8 audio cable. Any radio shack, walmart, hell even walgreens has them. I'm using one from Radio Shack that is gold tipped. Probably overkill though.

Plug one end into the speaker out jack of your scanner, and plug the other end into the LINE IN or MICROPHONE jack on your PC.

Scanamerica can provide you the software you need to stream, and Gordon (owner of scanamerica) will give you instructions on how to configure it to work with his feed. Then all you have to do is just either click the connect or disconnect button on the software which sends the audio to his icecast server, or unplug the cord from the scanner so no audio comes out.

Personally I don't know why anyone would only want to run a scanner part-time. I mean unless you absolutely need the line-in or mic jack on your pc, running a scanner does not take any bandwidth away from your connection, and the software runs in the background so you don't have to have anything up on your screen. The only limitation is needing to keep the scanner and PC on all the time.

I use an old beatup laptop computer. It had been sitting in the closet for a few years not being used for anything and I decided to make it my dedicated FEED machine. It worked out well. So I can turn my pc off and on as I please and it not disrupt the feed.

here ya go:
http://www.myradiostore.com/p/6-foot-1-8-inch-stereo-cable.html

c217_054p2.gif
 
Last edited:

hoser147

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
4,449
Reaction score
0
Location
Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio
Do you have to have permission from the agency you are wanting to feed? Thanks!

Thats kinda optional, I know some of the dept. Heads, so I let them know and they had no problem with it, I even offered if they wanted it shut down for something they could call and I would comply with the request, it has never happened though.

Shawn, you may want to check with Gordon, to see if there is a feed for your area and if he would be interested in hosting a incident related forum. Good Luck Hoser
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top