Scanner aboard boat

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
For now, I will put off buying the external antenna and learn the radio. I will purchase an improved rubber duck antenna; a powered speaker is next on the list. Later today I am driving to Pennsylvania and if I figure out how to turn it on I will try it out the radio. We’ll see... wish me luck!
For longer trips, especially on the boat, you may want to carry a couple of extra SD cards with you in case the card in the scanner gets corrupted for any reason. You can purchase extra cards such as these:

Once your scanner is programmed to your satisfaction, you can copy the entire contents of the card in the scanner to the extra ones before you leave. If anything happens to corrupt the card in use, you can swap out the card in the scanner for one of the spares and be up and running again in a matter of minutes without needing a computer or programming software.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone.

Whether a screwdriver or in this case scanner, when I am uncertain I reach out to user forums. It is not just about opinions, and suggestions, I really enjoy the back and forth and I learn. I read every comment carefully, thank you for the varied comments regarding my scanner on a boat question.

Yesterday the SDS100 weighed heavy on my mind, but I purchased the 436HP.

“Buy once, cry once”, get the best you can afford is an adage we all understand.

For this, the purchase cost is not the leading factor in my decision and I am thankful for that.
There are a handful of reasons that I bought the 436HP.

Two thirds of my boating is between Rockport, and Plymouth, MA., even so, most of it is in Greater Boston. The rest is NH, Maine and occasional trips to visit my son in Newport, RI. All the frequencies I listen to work well on my 125AT. It was my desire to listen to the Massachusetts State Police and a couple of other Massachusetts trunked systems that moved me to purchase a new scanner. Honestly, I don't have interest in any other trunked systems.

The 436HP is older, but I believe it will do what I want. Importantly, a colleague has the same radio and can help me and I was given a Uniden GPS that works with this radio.

For me there is no consequence if I miss a call due to simulcast, engine noise or any other reason. I am not an advanced hobbyist nor is the radio used in my job. My use is recreational curiosity. Nice to know versus need to know. The 436HP is not future proof and I recognize that and that may bite me in the ass. Not being able to listen to a Sheriff’s Dept. in Colorado this summer might be a bummer, but that’s all.

After some basic research, I have found the overwhelming Public Safety channels along the New England coast are not trunked or digital. (Did I say that correctly?) There are other radios aboard for matters of safety and of course my phone.

After forty or so years, (Military, Public Safety and some other cool stuff) I am retired now. I have used many radios; some very sophisticated. Me, I push to talk, anything else I have colleagues that can help. You all know the saying, “Those who can, do, those that can’t, teach.” I teach and still use radios. RR helped me a great deal last year with that.

Many years on boats, professionally and for recreation.
GPS, chartplotters and other devices really make a difference, however, when able, I use a chart, compass and pencil. That’s just the way I am. Technology and I do not get along!

For now, I will put off buying the external antenna and learn the radio. I will purchase an improved rubber duck antenna; a powered speaker is next on the list. Later today I am driving to Pennsylvania and if I figure out how to turn it on I will try it out the radio. We’ll see... wish me luck!

Again. Thank you everyone for helping me.
Keep an eye out for the sale of a slightly used 436HP!

Take care.
Kevin
I'm impressed that you bought the 436 Kevin. Very decisive.

Here's the big plus, if you master programming and using the BCD 436 it is "exactly" based on the SDS 100 or 200.. exactly.

If down the line you find that those systems that you really want to listen to but can't because of simulcast distortion, you do have the option of trading in your slightly used 436, and you would be able to pick up an SDS 100 or 200 and operate it immediately with the same skill you learned on the 436.

As I have inferred in a post directed at another member, apparently you're not that much of a scannernitwit after all...😉. Stay in touch on this thread, if you have any questions regarding your radio and it's use in a boat.. the thread will stay active for a while, if you ever get down to the Trenton, New Jersey area on the Delaware River give me a PM... Bob.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately if you're going to listen to the things that the poster said he was interested in and you're going to travel up and down the eastern coast you're not going to hear very much without a sophisticated scanner. Fact of life.

Some people take on the challenge and learn to get the results they want and others don't. It's a choice, just as spending the money is one's own choice. Tongue in cheek, I made reference to having resources because the amount of gasoline he appears to purchase using his boat🙂.

Reading the entire thread...
The original poster was looking at a possible BCD 436 which is basically the same level of sophistication of operation as the SDSXXX. You will hear less secondary to simulcast distortion.

He expressed interest in an SDS 100 also.

I have suggested the sds200 as the 100 is not going to deliver the volume with only an earphone jack to hook up to an amplified speaker, it won't be loud enough. It also has the larger screen.

So again, reading the entire thread, I think Kevin shows a little more knowledge than you think he has here, despite his playful username and is going to Ham Radio Outlet in New Hampshire to seek advice and I imagine window shop.

Hope he comes back and tells us his progress as he said he would.

Believe me having a scanner in a boat was a lot more fun over 50 years ago as I described above when crystal controlled scanners were new, can you imagine?, you could actually listen to eight different channels at once and were able to pick up whatever you wanted. You weren't stuck on one frequency on a slide rule dial monitor anymore. Space Age stuff. 👍
Yikes!

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I bring my SDS100 and G4 with me on the boat, of course it matters where all I’m going to be at and what I want to listen too being mostly the Marine Police are on a VHF P25 TRS. I usually just use the belt clip and clip it to the shield on the console or the trusty cup holder and it does fine receiving. If it got too rough I’d put it in the dry box. Hell I’ll even bring them to the 4x4 beach sometimes but always remember to keep it in the shade and put it in a cooler of course in a dry box to keep it cool

Scannernitwit

Hi Bob, hello everyone.

Right after I bought the 436HP I took it on a road trip to Easton, PA.

Prior to leaving I spent time reading the manual and watching YouTube video.
I entered my zip code and narrowed down the services and search range.

Left Boston late and arrived Easton with little radio traffic.
(Whenever I took a break I entered the local Zip Code.)

In Easton I entered local zip and the radio got busier.

A couple of comments about listening in Easton area.
Radio traffic loud and clear. However, does not “catch” follow-up conversations.
(Even with delay set.) I don’t know the Public Safety System for Northhampton County, but other county wide transmissions overwhelmed Easton PD.

A very interesting transmission was received. I clearly heard a Firefighter breathing through a mask, stating he was in trouble and declaring a Mayday. That got my attention! Very clear transmission from a portable, so it had to be nearby. I anticipated a lot of radio traffic.. none. (?)
Later I was told it was from a nearby Fire Academy. Likely Firefighter survival and RIT training.
It was possible I missed the “This is a drill” announcement.

Drove home during very bad weather; little radio traffic.
Been using the scanner all week.

A comment similar to many found here at RR.
My older (insert scanner) radio picks up local transmissions, but the 436HP doesn’t.

With local zip entered and a narrow range and limited service search set I receive a ton of stuff I do not want. Metro-Boston is dense with small cities/towns with their own Fire/PD. FD/PD dispatch is a mile away. I miss a local call but here a car stop two towns over. From what I have read I will need to learn how to program the 436HP with a computer and create favorites. I’m a Mac user so that’s another issue.

I have no idea how to use radio to listen only to Mass State Police while driving around.
Battery life is terrible. Possibly user error, but I followed directions per charging.

I’ll work on all of above!
I recognize some of my difficulties will be resolved when I learn to use the computer/scanner interface and build favorite lists.

Boat will be in the water this Thursday (Boston Harbor) and let you know how it goes using the scanner.

The 436HP appears to be a good radio and I believe I made the right decision.
When/if I get better skilled I will consider the SDS series.

Take care,
Kevin

Fall of 2023 I will be at Temple University for a few days.
Maybe we can try again for a burger and beer!

Scannernitwit

I bring my SDS100 and G4 with me on the boat, of course it matters where all I’m going to be at and what I want to listen too being mostly the Marine Police are on a VHF P25 TRS. I usually just use the belt clip and clip it to the shield on the console or the trusty cup holder and it does fine receiving. If it got too rough I’d put it in the dry box. Hell I’ll even bring them to the 4x4 beach sometimes but always remember to keep it in the shade and put it in a cooler of course in a dry box to keep it cool
Hello.

Thank you for replying!
Heat, the radio being banged around and getting it wet are concerns for me.
Exposure to salt might be a problem. (?)
Do you have experience with this.
My plan is to place it in a dedicated mount.
The console area is typically dry enough for routine use of the 436HP close to shore.
I'm aboard rain or shine.
Radio dry bag or storing the radio inside the console with external powered speaker is also an option.
Where do you boat?

Take care,
Kevin

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Hello.

Thank you for replying!
Heat, the radio being banged around and getting it wet are concerns for me.
Exposure to salt might be a problem. (?)
Do you have experience with this.
My plan is to place it in a dedicated mount.
The console area is typically dry enough for routine use of the 436HP close to shore.
I'm aboard rain or shine.
Radio dry bag or storing the radio inside the console with external powered speaker is also an option.
Where do you boat?

Take care,
Kevin
No problems with exposure to salt. I usually boat down in Virginia, James River, Elizabeth River, Nansemond River, Chesapeake Bay and occasionally down in Outer Banks NC, Albermarle Sound and out of Oregon Inlet when going on charters. Radio usually sits pretty snug with the belt clip on the center console, sound is pretty good too.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob, hello everyone.

Right after I bought the 436HP I took it on a road trip to Easton, PA.

Prior to leaving I spent time reading the manual and watching YouTube video.
I entered my zip code and narrowed down the services and search range.

Left Boston late and arrived Easton with little radio traffic.
(Whenever I took a break I entered the local Zip Code.)

In Easton I entered local zip and the radio got busier.

A couple of comments about listening in Easton area.
Radio traffic loud and clear. However, does not “catch” follow-up conversations.
(Even with delay set.) I don’t know the Public Safety System for Northhampton County, but other county wide transmissions overwhelmed Easton PD.

A very interesting transmission was received. I clearly heard a Firefighter breathing through a mask, stating he was in trouble and declaring a Mayday. That got my attention! Very clear transmission from a portable, so it had to be nearby. I anticipated a lot of radio traffic.. none. (?)
Later I was told it was from a nearby Fire Academy. Likely Firefighter survival and RIT training.
It was possible I missed the “This is a drill” announcement.

Drove home during very bad weather; little radio traffic.
Been using the scanner all week.

A comment similar to many found here at RR.
My older (insert scanner) radio picks up local transmissions, but the 436HP doesn’t.

With local zip entered and a narrow range and limited service search set I receive a ton of stuff I do not want. Metro-Boston is dense with small cities/towns with their own Fire/PD. FD/PD dispatch is a mile away. I miss a local call but here a car stop two towns over. From what I have read I will need to learn how to program the 436HP with a computer and create favorites. I’m a Mac user so that’s another issue.

I have no idea how to use radio to listen only to Mass State Police while driving around.
Battery life is terrible. Possibly user error, but I followed directions per charging.

I’ll work on all of above!
I recognize some of my difficulties will be resolved when I learn to use the computer/scanner interface and build favorite lists.

Boat will be in the water this Thursday (Boston Harbor) and let you know how it goes using the scanner.

The 436HP appears to be a good radio and I believe I made the right decision.
When/if I get better skilled I will consider the SDS series.

Take care,
Kevin

Fall of 2023 I will be at Temple University for a few days.
Maybe we can try again for a burger and beer!
Hi Kevin, I just saw your post now, I haven't been on RR as much as I used to and I didn't get any notification that this thread was active but I review carefully and I found it.

With the ZIP code method if I could suggest sort of the opposite of what you're doing. Put all service Types on, they're not always accurate as far as what a particular frequency is. Also reduce your range to 0.5 MI or 1 mi or at the most 5 MI. It's still going to cover a wide range. If you're picking up too many taxi cabs or school buses or something you can go ahead and eliminate that particular service type.

The reason you may not be getting returned transmissions to a conversation is your listening to too much and it takes too much time to roll around back to that object. The old saying is, the more you scan the less you hear so again if you're getting the air conditioning repair guy or the power plant or something that you're not that interested in those service types you can eliminate. Try a 5-mile range and see how that works.

I used to tell guys in The Newsroom at The Trentonian newspaper where I retired from, don't listen to too much because you will miss a bank robbery down the street because you're listening to a car stop in the next County LOL.

You can always pm and if circumstances work we could get together.. Bob.

Scannernitwit

No problems with exposure to salt. I usually boat down in Virginia, James River, Elizabeth River, Nansemond River, Chesapeake Bay and occasionally down in Outer Banks NC, Albermarle Sound and out of Oregon Inlet when going on charters. Radio usually sits pretty snug with the belt clip on the center console, sound is pretty good too.

Thanks LeSueurC.

The area you boat in is fascinating, especially the Elizebeth River. I would really like to go exploring there some day. I have always wanted to explore Outer Banks and Chesapeake Bay too.

I know a little bit about the Portsmouth, Norfolk area. As a kid I would visit my uncle, “Navy Yard Jack”, then as an adult I attended a conference in Norfolk every couple of years. Mid 2000’s I had a couple of training assignments at Little Creek… very cool.

This Thursday I will be out on the water and play around with the scanner and learn more about operating it. I'm certain it will work fine... I read the manual!

Take care,
Kevin

Scannernitwit

Hi Kevin, I just saw your post now, I haven't been on RR as much as I used to and I didn't get any notification that this thread was active but I review carefully and I found it.

With the ZIP code method if I could suggest sort of the opposite of what you're doing. Put all service Types on, they're not always accurate as far as what a particular frequency is. Also reduce your range to 0.5 MI or 1 mi or at the most 5 MI. It's still going to cover a wide range. If you're picking up too many taxi cabs or school buses or something you can go ahead and eliminate that particular service type.

The reason you may not be getting returned transmissions to a conversation is your listening to too much and it takes too much time to roll around back to that object. The old saying is, the more you scan the less you hear so again if you're getting the air conditioning repair guy or the power plant or something that you're not that interested in those service types you can eliminate. Try a 5-mile range and see how that works.

I used to tell guys in The Newsroom at The Trentonian newspaper where I retired from, don't listen to too much because you will miss a bank robbery down the street because you're listening to a car stop in the next County LOL.

You can always pm and if circumstances work we could get together.. Bob.
Thank you Bob.

I read your post carefully and I think I understand. For the most part I want to narrow down to six or eight agencies to mimic what is on my AT and have the option to listen to the MA State Police and other trunked Marine Units while I'm on the water.
Thursday I out on the water and will experiment with various settings.

When time allows I will also plug in the GPS unit.

Thanks for everything, I appreciate your advice.

Take care,
Kevin

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Bob.

I read your post carefully and I think I understand. For the most part I want to narrow down to six or eight agencies to mimic what is on my AT and have the option to listen to the MA State Police and other trunked Marine Units while I'm on the water.
Thursday I out on the water and will experiment with various settings.

When time allows I will also plug in the GPS unit.

Thanks for everything, I appreciate your advice.

Take care,
Kevin
Because of your inexperience with scanning which I appreciate and acknowledge. There are so many factors involved here including, your area is covered by a system that is now officially a phase two simulcast system.

Again this is more for those who are listening to what I'm saying as opposed to you.

You have phase one, phase two going on, you have analog trunk systems going on. You have VHF low band.

This is way too complicated to explain in a post but try what I recommend. If while searching with the ZIP code method you see stuff that says Massachusetts State Police hit Channel, that will stop everything, then hit the far left button and monitor the system. Again I assume you have not established favorites list and you are using the ZIP code method.

Totally mastering and understanding this radio is not by a thread. It's a good amount of time studying and researching, along with practical use. If you do ever get to the point where you've mastered the 436, keep it in good shape with all the packaging and the Box, purchase an SDS 100 or 200 and you will have it mastered out of the box.😉

ecps92

Because of your inexperience with scanning which I appreciate and acknowledge. There are so many factors involved here including, your area is covered by a system that is now officially a phase two simulcast system.

Again this is more for those who are listening to what I'm saying as opposed to you.

You have phase one, phase two going on, you have analog trunk systems going on. You have VHF low band.

This is way too complicated to explain in a post but try what I recommend. If while searching with the ZIP code method you see stuff that says Massachusetts State Police hit Channel, that will stop everything, then hit the far left button and monitor the system. Again I assume you have not established favorites list and you are using the ZIP code method.

Totally mastering and understanding this radio is not by a thread. It's a good amount of time studying and researching, along with practical use. If you do ever get to the point where you've mastered the 436, keep it in good shape with all the packaging and the Box, purchase an SDS 100 or 200 and you will have it mastered out of the box.😉
Phase I/II at this time (future, but nothing now) have no impact on his Coastal State Police monitoring as that is all Analog (legacy) and he would be best to lock down to only these sites

Site/Zone 5 - Eastern Mass (Boston/North to NH)
Site/Zone 3 - Southeastern Mass (Plymouth/Bristol/Norfolk Counties)
Sire/Zone 4 - Cape Cod

Maybe Zone 1 for the DCR (former MDC)

This way he won't lock onto the rogue sites such as Truro or Wellfleet, which even the MSP do once, out toward Deer Island

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Phase I/II at this time (future, but nothing now) have no impact on his Coastal State Police monitoring as that is all Analog (legacy) and he would be best to lock down to only these sites

Site/Zone 5 - Eastern Mass (Boston/North to NH)
Site/Zone 3 - Southeastern Mass (Plymouth/Bristol/Norfolk Counties)
Sire/Zone 4 - Cape Cod

Maybe Zone 1 for the DCR (former MDC)

This way he won't lock onto the rogue sites such as Truro or Wellfleet, which even the MSP do once, out toward Deer Island
Thanks, not knowing the area or systems at all it did seem a little murky to me, I was just reading off the database notes, let's hope that @Scannernitwit sees your informative post.🙂

Scannernitwit

Hello Bob/ECPS92.

Hello everyone.

The 436HP scanner has worked well out on the boat.
Hmm, too well! Lots of interesting traffic; much of it all over the place.
Have not hooked up speaker. It is loud aboard. If I hear it, great, if not, no big deal.

I'm still trying to understand how to use it. It will take time and a bit of muscle memory.
Have not had time to learn Windows on my Mac as to load frequencies directly into the scanner.

ECPS92's comments represent some of my problems.
Boston to Portsmouth, NH, I use zip-codes with a very limited range. The zip gives me Interagency frequencies, Middlesex, Essex Counties.
I continue to get a crap load of traffic and despite the identification on the screen, I do not always know who I am listening to.

A common trip, Boston to Newport, RI. to visit my son.
Again... I count on the zip-code feature.
Typically, City of Boston, Metro-Fire, BAPERN, Norfolk, Plymouth, Bristol Counties.
I try listening to County and State FD and PD mutual aid/intercity frequencies.

As for the State Police and other trunked systems... yikes!
Does DCR, Environmental Police and State PD. share the same frequencies?
Understanding zones, trunking, Phase 1 & 2 bugs me, control channels etc. However, I recognize most of the issue is on me. I keep remembering having "banks" for each area I travelled.

Haven't used the GPS module yet, but will shortly. I think that will help.

My short term goal is to get my Mac set up for Windows and program "favorites" for different areas I like to travel.
From what I read and watch on-line that will help too.

In retrospect fiddling with the buttons can be difficult while cruising along. The HP2 touch screen might have worked out a bit better.
Regardless, I like the radio and have no regrets. For now!
Thanks for all your help.

Take care,
Kevin

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
One thing you might want to do Kevin is Press menu and go to select service types and make sure that they are all turned on if they're able to be. In time you may choose to turn a few of the service types off as they're just not what you're looking for like taxi cabs or air conditioner repair or something like that. You may discover something though that you're interested in that has a weird service type label that you weren't able to hear before because it wasn't turned on.

Another tip is each time you put in a zip code, go to Range and make it 5.0 MI you will get a lot more range than 5 MI but it helps filter out a lot of the stuff that's far away from you that you actually might be able to still hear but it isn't close. You'll get the hang of it the more you play with it.. Bob.

ecps92

Hello Bob/ECPS92.

Hello everyone.

The 436HP scanner has worked well out on the boat.
Hmm, too well! Lots of interesting traffic; much of it all over the place.
Have not hooked up speaker. It is loud aboard. If I hear it, great, if not, no big deal.

I'm still trying to understand how to use it. It will take time and a bit of muscle memory.
Have not had time to learn Windows on my Mac as to load frequencies directly into the scanner.

ECPS92's comments represent some of my problems.
Boston to Portsmouth, NH, I use zip-codes with a very limited range. The zip gives me Interagency frequencies, Middlesex, Essex Counties.
I continue to get a crap load of traffic and despite the identification on the screen, I do not always know who I am listening to.

A common trip, Boston to Newport, RI. to visit my son.
Again... I count on the zip-code feature.
Typically, City of Boston, Metro-Fire, BAPERN, Norfolk, Plymouth, Bristol Counties.
I try listening to County and State FD and PD mutual aid/intercity frequencies.

As for the State Police and other trunked systems... yikes!
Does DCR, Environmental Police and State PD. share the same frequencies?
Understanding zones, trunking, Phase 1 & 2 bugs me, control channels etc. However, I recognize most of the issue is on me. I keep remembering having "banks" for each area I travelled.

Haven't used the GPS module yet, but will shortly. I think that will help.

My short term goal is to get my Mac set up for Windows and program "favorites" for different areas I like to travel.
From what I read and watch on-line that will help too.

In retrospect fiddling with the buttons can be difficult while cruising along. The HP2 touch screen might have worked out a bit better.
Regardless, I like the radio and have no regrets. For now!
Thanks for all your help.

Take care,
Kevin
Yes coming into the hobby is now a major learning curve, from the days of banks and/or channels

Now it can all be loaded, but then you enjoy overload.

The other issue is once you get out onto the Open Water, distance is mute, as you have no obstructions
and likely will lock onto a site/zone that has limited TG's accessing (ie: Zone 20 in Haverhill)

Kevin keep asking, glad the radio has added some Situational Awareness to your boat rides and keep experimenting

RichM

Long time Mac user here. I never had much luck with the various Windows emulator software. it certainly can be done but it is rather tedious and can be somewhat hit and miss. My solution was to pick up a cheap Windows laptop that I use for various Windows only tasks like scanner loading/back up, Garmin chart plotter etc. I also use it for SDR, NOAA satellite decoding and aircraft/marine ADSB tracking. It is much easier having a Windows machine for these tasks, many of which simply won’t work with an emulator. Good Windows laptops can be had dirt cheap and might ease your learning curve somewhat.

Reactions: wtp

Scannernitwit

Thanks RichM.

Buying a used or inexpensive Windows machine is something I have given thought to.
The learning curve is lesser concern. I buy a product, read the manual, watch YouTube, turn the product on and oops, something doesn't work. Quick and effective trouble shooting is what I worry about.

Example: I drove my wife's car the other day and I wanted to listen to sports radio. It took me twenty minutes to figure it out!
My screen name though self-depreciating, represents my frustration with having to be tech-savvy to brew coffee in the morning.
I just want it to work.

A Windows machine is a good idea. However, it is very unlikely it will be used for anything other than programing my scanner.
Does anyone have a recommendation of model/ minimum performance? Would any of you like to sell me an appropriate used Windows machine?

Take care,
Kevin

PS: I have a "Woz" in my attic!
Can you guess what that is? (!)