Scanner Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

KL2LZ

What is available on the peninsula or around Anchorage? I haven't shopped for a scanner yet and I'm just wondering who has what. Is Radio Shack our only option? Do they keep any Pro-106? Anybody that I'm not aware of stock Uniden or GRE? I know amatuer radios are nearly extinct up here but perhaps there are some scanners. I'm really looking for a handheld as my first digital trunking scanner. Any help before I start looking greatly appreciated.

Dan

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I hate to say it , but your best bet is probably going to be ordering online at places like scannermaster.com or hamstation.com.

Sometimes local Radio Shacks carry some of the latest stuff but it's not often.

KL2LZ

Thanks kikito. I expected I would have to order what I wanted but I thought I would give our local business' a first chance. I sorely wish we there was more availability of such things up here. But alas I suppose this is just one of the prices we pay in order to live in Paradise!

Dan

KL2LZ

FWIW I found a Pro-106 at a Radio Shack in Anchorage. I wasn't really impressed with it so I didn't buy it but they had a few none the less.

Dan

kikito

Premium Subscriber
What are alaska's frequencies like, mostly digital or conventional?

The majority of the main Public Safety agencies are digital. But there's quite a combination of stuff out there. We have stuff in all bands, conventional, trunked, analog, digital and as of recently, more encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.