Scanner causes . . . gratitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A long time ago, I was in a class and the instructor asked us to fill in the blank: "My customers are _______________". I replied "Having a real bad day". The instructor said "Where do you work, any way?" I said "the fire department".

Stuff that people would never think would occur, happens every day when you are in the public safety field.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Listening to a couple of the really freaky calls from dispatchers this morning caused me to be sooooo grateful for my ordinary humdrum life.

Anybody else experience this?

Yeah, there are a lot of sad and disturbing things going on in my relatively peaceful town.

RFI-EMI-GUY

A long time ago, I was in a class and the instructor asked us to fill in the blank: "My customers are _______________". I replied "Having a real bad day". The instructor said "Where do you work, any way?" I said "the fire department".

Stuff that people would never think would occur, happens every day when you are in the public safety field.

We have a "new downtown" , one of these planned developments, built on speculation, built cheaply with a lot of hype. When I saw this construction going on, all stick built and OSB sheathing, I was sure something bad would happen.

Last summer lightning struck one of the three story apartments causing an attic fire. No lightning rods, no smoke detectors in attics, questionable that there were fire walls between units. It burned quickly and only by luck some bystanders saw it start and jumped a huge fence to knock on doors. The FD was there in seconds, but had no ladder truck to reach the attic.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I believe that I can speak for other former and current first responders on this forum, in that we chose this profession, either paid or volunteer because we felt the need or "calling" and had the ability to help others. It is not for everyone. You have to be the calm in the surrounding chaos, be able to make decisions that can affect another persons life, all within split seconds. We are grateful that we can provide support and comfort to others.

In terms of calls, those that involve children are the worst. COVID-19 has added a an additional layer concern to each and every call. Yesterday, I received three emails reporting US firefighter fatalities. Another one, so far today.

Hope and pray that everyone remains safe and healthy in the course of their duties.

Blessings to All,

Rich C

Status
Not open for further replies.