Scanner Characters: The Tactical Cabbie

N9JIG

Sheriff
The scanner community has many “characters”, dead and alive. In the Characters series I will talk about a few that I have known over the decades. I will only speak of the ones that have passed away unless I get prior approval from the living ones. For the most part anything they have done the statute of limitations has expired anyway.

One character was Brandt N. Brandt was the very definition of an interesting character. He drove a cab in the suburban Chicago area around O’Hare Airport. He was an old, short guy who looked sort of like Popeye after a week-long bender. While I never knew him to be a drinker, he had to have had a rough life before I met him. He was an extremely heavy smoker which likely contributed greatly to his constant hack and gravelly voice. On the East Coast they would have called him craggy, and he would have been an independent fisherman working in some little coastal town in Maine. In Chicago however he was a cab driver.

I first met Brandt at my first RCMA Meeting in Elk Grove back in the mid 1980’s. He was a long-time member of the Chicago Chapter of RCMA, probably one of the original crowd. He was sitting at a table in the restaurant surrounded by several huge 5-inch 3-ring binders stuffed full of papers. These binders, as I would discover, followed him everywhere. They had lists and lists of frequencies, PL tones and other important radio information.

Now, a little back story here; Until sometime around 1990 the RCMA prohibited the discussion of PL and DPL codes in the Scanner Journal or at meetings. At the time there were no scanners capable of decoding PL codes until the BC760XLT came out around 1998 or so. After that and its clones had been out a while RCMA saw the handwriting on the wall and rescinded the prohibition on discussion PL and DPL codes and they started appearing in the Journal.

As we were not “officially” allowed to discuss PL codes at meetings at the time any such discussion was made in hushed tones or before and after the actual meeting but only with the guys you trusted. I did not know about this rule at my first meeting, so I mentioned a couple of business band and police/fire frequencies along with the PL codes. The room got quiet and the moderator, “Father Ed” (soon to be the subject of another story) then said something like “You must be new here, we do not discuss PL tones”.

Brandt came up to me after the meeting and handed me a stack of paper. He only said, “You don’t know where this came from”. I really didn’t since I had no idea who this troll-looking guy was. The only two guys I knew there then were off talking to someone else so by the time I met up with them again the mysterious troll was gone.

Later when my friends Scott and Dan came back around, I showed them what I had been given and they laughed. One of them said “You have a copy of the “PL List”! This was Brandt’s pride and joy, his reason for living and his obsession. I was told that he lived for PL tones, he searched them out wherever and whenever he could. Only a select few were trusted enough to get a copy from him so I felt validated.

When I got home, I started going over my notes and perused this mysterious “PL List”. This was about 30-40 pages of (mostly) typed frequencies along with PL codes and any repeater inputs he had. It was a wealth of information! There were many handwritten corrections and additions squeezed into every available white space, but they were all pretty much in frequency order with the PL codes, user and inputs.

Talking to other members I came to find out that Brandt compiled these lists from his own monitoring and hacking, social engineering info from techs and users, even by “borrowing” a radio to see if there was a frequency tag. If there was no tag he might have even “liberated” it for a while to determine the codes with a frequency counter attached to a scanner and then return the “found” radio to its owner. He was never a thief, but he certainly was a borrower.

I also found out that Brandt originally used 3x5 index cards to keep track of this data, apparently with each user on a separate card. While this was great for his own use when he started sharing the data with trusted friends he switched to paper lists. He bought a used manual typewriter (like me his handwriting was atrocious) and would periodically type out a new version of the PL List, sneak into an office someplace and run off a dozen or so copies. As new info was found he would hand-write the data on his master copy.

Brandt used many techniques to obtain data for his list. He would not be shy about transmitting on the repeater input trying each PL code in sequence using a variety of programmable radios, sometimes modified ham gear. He would cajole radio technicians out of the info on their customers. He had a frequency counter connected to a scanner that would display approximate readings of PL codes (if it read 156.3 it was probably actually 156.7/5A for example). If someone left a portable radio on the counter he would pick it up and check for a tag under the battery. Sometimes he would even run out to his cab with it and find the PL with the frequency counter before coming back and saying he found the radio in the parking lot. He had no shame but always returned whatever he “borrowed”.

Once he and I met for lunch to discuss some recent finds. I had a pair of TAD M8 radios in my car at the time, one UHF and the other VHF. I used them for ham, GMRS and even my work channels. I had a laminated sheet listing the channel numbers, user and freqs/PL’s I kept on the visor that disappeared. Apparently, he snagged it when I showed him my radios in the car. A couple days later he called me to meet and returned the data sheet that somehow ended up with him, I told him to keep it as it was now out of date; I had changed all the programming.

When the BC760XLT came out he scrimped and saved to buy one and the optional PL board. He would then program in a couple channels of interest with all 38 possible PL codes and scan for the active PL codes. This afforded an easy way to acquire PL info. In a few months he had worn off the numbers and action button labels clear off. By then however he had long memorized the layout due to incessant reprogramming. Remember this was well before computer programmable scanners were invented. Even so, Brandt was just not a computer guy. I don’t know if he even ever had a cell phone. He had plenty of radios though!

Now, let’s talk about his taxicab. He was an independent cab driver and rented a cab from one of the owners of the cab association. In that area most cab companies were mostly a dispatch service for independent car owners. An owner owned one or more cabs and paid for dispatch services. Some cabs were also owned by the Association (as they were called) and leased to the drivers on a daily, monthly or even yearly rate. The driver paid rent on the car, gas and maintenance, and usually drove the cab home, some also used it for their daily driver. Such was the case for Brandt. He drove this Ford LTD Crown Victoria for years and it was basically “his” car. He had some sort of arrangement with the car owner, so he used it all the time. He had his radios installed in it and had at least a dozen NMO mounted antennas on it.

He would drive this cab all over the area and when he attended radio club meetings, he would bring in his stack of binders. These things weighed almost as much as he did but he had to have the entire set at any meeting he attended lest he not be able to recall a detail. This led to much amusement as we watched him struggle with carrying these heavy books. We would offer to help but he always declined.

One day we were at a GMRS club meeting at a forest preserve building in Chicago. Brandt of course had all his binders in tow. Scott and I snuck out and unscrewed all his antennas and left them standing on their mounts unthreaded. He came out and dropped his stack of books on the front seat and slammed the door. Then all the antennas started to fall off, one by one. The look of utter confusion on his face as they tumbled was priceless! Of course, we all were laughing uncontrollably behind the bushes. We came out and offered to help him replace his antennas, but he didn’t remember which went where. Half of them were disconnected but he didn’t recall which. He later told us it took the whole day to trace the cables back. He was a bit upset at first but eventually came around and enjoyed the joke, and I bought his lunch at the scanner club meeting the following weekend, so all was forgiven.

Riding with Brandt was always an adventure. I called him once for a ride to the airport, figuring he would like the extra cash he received for an airport run. He told me to sit in front, but all those binders were there. He told me to just squeeze in and I did but just barely. Thankfully I was skinny back then, there is no way I would have been able to do that today as the rather portly fellow that I am now. My girlfriend however was aghast that we would get into a car that looked as filthy as it smelled. I had quit smoking some years before and she was an avid non-smoker, but she powered her way thru it.

Ted used to tell me the story about a time when he, Fred and Brandt went to an airshow in Champaign, IL, a 300-mile round trip. Brandt balanced these binders on the front bench seat next to Ted and every time he would turn a corner, swerve from lane to lane or make some other crazy maneuver they would tip. Brandt would let go of the wheel to catch them and hold them up while the car would veer all over the place. Now Ted was one of the most fearless men I ever knew but this trip scared the bejeezus out of him. Fred served in the Gulf War and said he would rather meet up with the IRG than to ride with Brandt again.

Soon after meeting Brandt I also met my friend Bob S. Bob had a brand-new Mac Plus computer. He introduced me to FileMaker II, a flat-file program that was (and remains) one of the easiest ways to input and recover data. It was ideal for digitizing the PL List. The problem was I had to type in each record individually. I did, a couple hours a night in the back room of the 7-11 store Bob worked at on the midnight shift. I worked 3-11’s on the police department so would go there after work and use Bob’s computer to enter these records. After a month or so of doing this for several hours several nights a week (my social life was rather slow at the time…) I had all these records entered into the computer. Bob also had an ImageWriter II printer, so we printed this database once I finished entering the data. It took almost 8 hours to print what turned out to be almost 100 pages. Soon thereafter I bought my own Mac and ImageWriter II so I could do this nerd stuff at home.

Before I embarked on this, I asked Brandt if it was OK with him. He agreed as he would have loved to be able to do it himself, but he had no way of doing so. He had no computer and, living in an SRO apartment, wouldn’t have had the room. The best he was able to do was getting one of those Casio data organizers, but he could never get it to work for his purposes. I made some copies of the printout at work and gave the original to Brandt. He and a couple others in our group would tag any updates and once in a while give me that to update the master file.

We soon discovered that by using a specific font and size (Courier 12 IIRC) for large files such as these would allow the ImageWriter II to print at a much faster speed, apparently that was the native font for that printer. Once we found that our we were able to make printouts much faster, under 2 hours for 100 or so pages.

Brandt died in 2002 after moving to Princeton, IL where he had family. His health had been failing for some time. For all his eccentricities he was well loved by RCMA and later CARMA members and, even though we would tease him or pull the occasional prank on him it was always with love and respect. He was basically harmless, and we knew it and tolerated his eccentricities. I think about him from time to time, usually followed by laughter after recalling one of his antics. When chatting with other scanner guys and we discuss PL codes we always raise a glass to him.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I like that. I’ve been doing the same for a while now where I live after getting the idea from someone here who mentioned doing it at a hotel. Sometimes I would see a radio sitting on the counter or unattended and start keying up on all the channels to Signal Stalker all the frequencies and tones for local business. Though only rarely will I go that far, last time I did it was in 2019 when trying to figure out my local JC Penney that was on different frequency from all the others nationwide.

Most of the time I would keep the radio in my coat and do passive things to generate radio traffic. Like pretend to be shopping and ask the staff questions that would get them to key the radio or act slightly suspicious just enough to trick security into giving away their frequencies. This used to be such an ordeal before metadata recording scanners, since I mainly used (GRE)RadioShack handhelds I didn’t have CC auto store plus no audio to review only a list of frequencies and tones for later.

I was tempted to rig up a 12v lantern battery and dipole with my BCT15 at one point but the TRX1 and 436HP have been a dream for my odd style of hunting. I can just set it to search unattended and hide it in a bag or inside jacket pocket than playback the recordings with all the information as if I was there. Found all sorts of odd businesses that don’t transmit much and have a very detailed business list for my area on the database here now.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
Brandt 'Kerchunk' Niemuth (spelling?) was a character of the 1st order. Nice guy but what a character.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I remember when trunked system ID's were the secret stuff. Passed quietly amongst those who had a need to know.
That was how I became involved with RadioReference, then known as TrunkedRadio.net. I started collecting data on trunked systems in Illinois and then the greater Midwest and started submitting them. I was the 653rd member of almost 2 million of what is now RadioReference.

I was using Trunker, eTrunker and TrunkTrac with an OptoCom, Pro245XLT and an OS456. Good times!

Brandt however had no use for trunked systems, as far as I knew he never diddled with any of that, he was fixated on convention systems, especially repeaters. Community Repeaters were his favorite, there might be a dozen or more tones on one and he would be positively giddy when a new one popped up.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I certainly remember "Brandt" the guy with the funny mustache and the great "PL" list,...At the first local meeting at the late great " John Arendt's house a TAXI pulled up and I asked someone there "who called a Taxicab " , they laughed at me and said that's a member of our group, what wonderful times , thanks Rich for the great memories, Ron IL9

RFI-EMI-GUY

That was how I became involved with RadioReference, then known as TrunkedRadio.net. I started collecting data on trunked systems in Illinois and then the greater Midwest and started submitting them. I was the 653rd member of almost 2 million of what is now RadioReference.

I was using Trunker, eTrunker and TrunkTrac with an OptoCom, Pro245XLT and an OS456. Good times!

Brandt however had no use for trunked systems, as far as I knew he never diddled with any of that, he was fixated on convention systems, especially repeaters. Community Repeaters were his favorite, there might be a dozen or more tones on one and he would be positively giddy when a new one popped up.
Back at the time I was Motorola FTR in Area B and one of my quarterly (bonus) duties was auditing the reeds in community repeaters. Just pull the card (Micor) and write down the PL code. I don't know if anyone was caught pirating, that was above my pay scale. The more interesting part was tracking down interference. One T band repeater on the Sears tower was being triggered with noise, the customer upset. I went and investigated and heard the video and audio of a channel 14 transmitter in Kentucky. The video was falseing the 179.9 Hz tone code. The fix was pretty easy. When I moved to Miami the interference tracking became much more spicy.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I certainly remember "Brandt" the guy with the funny mustache and the great "PL" list,...At the first local meeting at the late great " John Arendt's house a TAXI pulled up and I asked someone there "who called a Taxicab " , they laughed at me and said that's a member of our group, what wonderful times , thanks Rich for the great memories, Ron IL9
I was big on CB back in the 70's and one day. I hear about some guy with 1KW radio in his trunk. So I go off to meet this guy at corner of '83 and '58 in 'The City of Destiny" and see an old car just like this with dynamotor and huge chassis across the back. Never did figure out if it was 1KW consumption or power out. Not sure what it all was exactly but it was memorable.

1724541827800.jpeg

IC-R20

LoBand Nation

That was my favorite scanner tale of yours so far.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Back at the time I was Motorola FTR in Area B and one of my quarterly (bonus) duties was auditing the reeds in community repeaters. Just pull the card (Micor) and write down the PL code. I don't know if anyone was caught pirating, that was above my pay scale. The more interesting part was tracking down interference. One T band repeater on the Sears tower was being triggered with noise, the customer upset. I went and investigated and heard the video and audio of a channel 14 transmitter in Kentucky. The video was falseing the 179.9 Hz tone code. The fix was pretty easy. When I moved to Miami the interference tracking became much more spicy.
I found the PL List and its successors invaluable to track down co-channel users. When we worked with the Scan-Wisconsin guys and a friend in Michigan to add their data to our list (all night modem sessions at 2400 baud to transfer a .dbf file...) it really made it useful. Summer nights would have us hear all kinds of distant signals on our VHF channels, one was 155.250, and we used a 127.3 PL at the time. We would occasionally hear some Sheriff's Office in northern WI, they also used the same PL. Sometimes some SO in Michigan would pop up as well. We eventually switched to a DPL code.

We had the same issue on our simplex fire channel, and even turned out to be the offender on one situation. I got a call from a guy in Minnesota that I had met at a conference. His highway department complained of fire traffic hitting their repeater, turns out our 151.010 simplex fire channel, also with 127.3 PL, was also the input freq and tone for the MN highway repeater. It was easier to change the PL on the Highway Department repeater, they only had a single site and 10 or 15 radios when we had 5 stations and a couple hundred radios.

On both of these incidents and many others referring to the PL List quickly identified potential interference sources.

While I don't and didn't condone some of his methods his obsession with PL codes did have some positive results.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Brandt sounds like an awesome guy - what a great story to read, and thank you for sharing it!

The art of finding new frequencies and IDing their PL was so much fun back then. I spent a few years locating new frequencies my local PD used and confirming their place in the lineup with my friend's BC-760XLT. Then would find the PLs with my Kenwood TK-340. Same method of programming the same channel in with different PLs. A local radio dealer gave me the 340 and charger for free. Just needed to buy a new battery for it. He also showed me how to program it via the keypad / channel knob.

A couple years later, I learned a local man had been maintaining a website focused on the county I lived in. It confirmed most of my research had been correct, and gave me a bunch of new stuff to monitor that I hadn't yet nailed down. He made his last list in 1999 and I still have a printed copy of it. Those were the days!

I wasn't that much of a kerchunker, but when a new LTR system popped up, I did convince a custodian at my high school to let me do some clandestine reading of his Kenwood radio. Ended up getting the LCNs for the system, and a few talkgroups for our school district. I didn't have a scanner, but did have a TK-250 for fire, a used TK-380 (my first ebay purchase), and TK-340 for PD and sheriff.

Ended up programming in the LCNs on my 340 as conventional channels to see which were most active. Most of the activity was concentrated on only a few LCNs, so I figured the others didn't actually exist, or hadn't been added to the system yet. That made my job easier. I programmed a bunch of trunking talkgroups on the 380 with expanded ID ranges in groups of 10 on those 4 LCNs to see what was active. Before I left for school, I'd set up our old JVC tube video camera hooked up to our VCR on SLP mode to record the display, then used a radio shack mic to record the audio. I kept narrowing down the ID ranges until I'd decoded the proper ID. Reviewing the 6 hour recordings took forever, but I didn't have a trunking scanner.

N9JIG

Sheriff
My friend Scott and I took a trip to Disney World in Florida back in the mid 1990's. Scott worked in the radio industry and had the programming software for most Motorola radios at the time. When we arrived at our resort the golf cart driver who took us to our room had a Motorola MT800. We knew they had a Type I trunking system there then. We offered the guy $20 if we could borrow his radio for 5 minutes. We assured him that we would not damage or cause any issues, just see what was in it for our radio hobby. He was skeptical but acquiesced and we soon had the entire lowdown on that resort's system.

They also used a lot of GMRS channels there and we deciphered much of that system as well as much or the rest of the stuff. We even got to see a shuttle launch that week from the roof of Space Camp. It was a great trip for sure!

cruiser612

Premium Subscriber
I was big on CB back in the 70's and one day. I hear about some guy with 1KW radio in his trunk. So I go off to meet this guy at corner of '83 and '58 in 'The City of Destiny" and see an old car just like this with dynamotor and huge chassis across the back. Never did figure out if it was 1KW consumption or power out. Not sure what it all was exactly but it was memorable.

View attachment 168118
The famous Motorola "Dog-Houses". Many police agencies in Massachusetts had them in the late 40's - mid 50's. Receivers in the 1650 - 1725 kc range while transsssmitter in the 39 mHz range.

k9mbo

Premium Subscriber
The scanner community has many “characters”, dead and alive. In the Characters series I will talk about a few that I have known over the decades. I will only speak of the ones that have passed away unless I get prior approval from the living ones. For the most part anything they have done the statute of limitations has expired anyway.

One character was Brandt N. Brandt was the very definition of an interesting character. He drove a cab in the suburban Chicago area around O’Hare Airport. He was an old, short guy who looked sort of like Popeye after a week-long bender. While I never knew him to be a drinker, he had to have had a rough life before I met him. He was an extremely heavy smoker which likely contributed greatly to his constant hack and gravelly voice. On the East Coast they would have called him craggy, and he would have been an independent fisherman working in some little coastal town in Maine. In Chicago however he was a cab driver.

I first met Brandt at my first RCMA Meeting in Elk Grove back in the mid 1980’s. He was a long-time member of the Chicago Chapter of RCMA, probably one of the original crowd. He was sitting at a table in the restaurant surrounded by several huge 5-inch 3-ring binders stuffed full of papers. These binders, as I would discover, followed him everywhere. They had lists and lists of frequencies, PL tones and other important radio information.

Now, a little back story here; Until sometime around 1990 the RCMA prohibited the discussion of PL and DPL codes in the Scanner Journal or at meetings. At the time there were no scanners capable of decoding PL codes until the BC760XLT came out around 1998 or so. After that and its clones had been out a while RCMA saw the handwriting on the wall and rescinded the prohibition on discussion PL and DPL codes and they started appearing in the Journal.

As we were not “officially” allowed to discuss PL codes at meetings at the time any such discussion was made in hushed tones or before and after the actual meeting but only with the guys you trusted. I did not know about this rule at my first meeting, so I mentioned a couple of business band and police/fire frequencies along with the PL codes. The room got quiet and the moderator, “Father Ed” (soon to be the subject of another story) then said something like “You must be new here, we do not discuss PL tones”.

Brandt came up to me after the meeting and handed me a stack of paper. He only said, “You don’t know where this came from”. I really didn’t since I had no idea who this troll-looking guy was. The only two guys I knew there then were off talking to someone else so by the time I met up with them again the mysterious troll was gone.

Later when my friends Scott and Dan came back around, I showed them what I had been given and they laughed. One of them said “You have a copy of the “PL List”! This was Brandt’s pride and joy, his reason for living and his obsession. I was told that he lived for PL tones, he searched them out wherever and whenever he could. Only a select few were trusted enough to get a copy from him so I felt validated.

When I got home, I started going over my notes and perused this mysterious “PL List”. This was about 30-40 pages of (mostly) typed frequencies along with PL codes and any repeater inputs he had. It was a wealth of information! There were many handwritten corrections and additions squeezed into every available white space, but they were all pretty much in frequency order with the PL codes, user and inputs.

Talking to other members I came to find out that Brandt compiled these lists from his own monitoring and hacking, social engineering info from techs and users, even by “borrowing” a radio to see if there was a frequency tag. If there was no tag he might have even “liberated” it for a while to determine the codes with a frequency counter attached to a scanner and then return the “found” radio to its owner. He was never a thief, but he certainly was a borrower.

I also found out that Brandt originally used 3x5 index cards to keep track of this data, apparently with each user on a separate card. While this was great for his own use when he started sharing the data with trusted friends he switched to paper lists. He bought a used manual typewriter (like me his handwriting was atrocious) and would periodically type out a new version of the PL List, sneak into an office someplace and run off a dozen or so copies. As new info was found he would hand-write the data on his master copy.

Brandt used many techniques to obtain data for his list. He would not be shy about transmitting on the repeater input trying each PL code in sequence using a variety of programmable radios, sometimes modified ham gear. He would cajole radio technicians out of the info on their customers. He had a frequency counter connected to a scanner that would display approximate readings of PL codes (if it read 156.3 it was probably actually 156.7/5A for example). If someone left a portable radio on the counter he would pick it up and check for a tag under the battery. Sometimes he would even run out to his cab with it and find the PL with the frequency counter before coming back and saying he found the radio in the parking lot. He had no shame but always returned whatever he “borrowed”.

Once he and I met for lunch to discuss some recent finds. I had a pair of TAD M8 radios in my car at the time, one UHF and the other VHF. I used them for ham, GMRS and even my work channels. I had a laminated sheet listing the channel numbers, user and freqs/PL’s I kept on the visor that disappeared. Apparently, he snagged it when I showed him my radios in the car. A couple days later he called me to meet and returned the data sheet that somehow ended up with him, I told him to keep it as it was now out of date; I had changed all the programming.

When the BC760XLT came out he scrimped and saved to buy one and the optional PL board. He would then program in a couple channels of interest with all 38 possible PL codes and scan for the active PL codes. This afforded an easy way to acquire PL info. In a few months he had worn off the numbers and action button labels clear off. By then however he had long memorized the layout due to incessant reprogramming. Remember this was well before computer programmable scanners were invented. Even so, Brandt was just not a computer guy. I don’t know if he even ever had a cell phone. He had plenty of radios though!

Now, let’s talk about his taxicab. He was an independent cab driver and rented a cab from one of the owners of the cab association. In that area most cab companies were mostly a dispatch service for independent car owners. An owner owned one or more cabs and paid for dispatch services. Some cabs were also owned by the Association (as they were called) and leased to the drivers on a daily, monthly or even yearly rate. The driver paid rent on the car, gas and maintenance, and usually drove the cab home, some also used it for their daily driver. Such was the case for Brandt. He drove this Ford LTD Crown Victoria for years and it was basically “his” car. He had some sort of arrangement with the car owner, so he used it all the time. He had his radios installed in it and had at least a dozen NMO mounted antennas on it.

He would drive this cab all over the area and when he attended radio club meetings, he would bring in his stack of binders. These things weighed almost as much as he did but he had to have the entire set at any meeting he attended lest he not be able to recall a detail. This led to much amusement as we watched him struggle with carrying these heavy books. We would offer to help but he always declined.

One day we were at a GMRS club meeting at a forest preserve building in Chicago. Brandt of course had all his binders in tow. Scott and I snuck out and unscrewed all his antennas and left them standing on their mounts unthreaded. He came out and dropped his stack of books on the front seat and slammed the door. Then all the antennas started to fall off, one by one. The look of utter confusion on his face as they tumbled was priceless! Of course, we all were laughing uncontrollably behind the bushes. We came out and offered to help him replace his antennas, but he didn’t remember which went where. Half of them were disconnected but he didn’t recall which. He later told us it took the whole day to trace the cables back. He was a bit upset at first but eventually came around and enjoyed the joke, and I bought his lunch at the scanner club meeting the following weekend, so all was forgiven.

Riding with Brandt was always an adventure. I called him once for a ride to the airport, figuring he would like the extra cash he received for an airport run. He told me to sit in front, but all those binders were there. He told me to just squeeze in and I did but just barely. Thankfully I was skinny back then, there is no way I would have been able to do that today as the rather portly fellow that I am now. My girlfriend however was aghast that we would get into a car that looked as filthy as it smelled. I had quit smoking some years before and she was an avid non-smoker, but she powered her way thru it.

Ted used to tell me the story about a time when he, Fred and Brandt went to an airshow in Champaign, IL, a 300-mile round trip. Brandt balanced these binders on the front bench seat next to Ted and every time he would turn a corner, swerve from lane to lane or make some other crazy maneuver they would tip. Brandt would let go of the wheel to catch them and hold them up while the car would veer all over the place. Now Ted was one of the most fearless men I ever knew but this trip scared the bejeezus out of him. Fred served in the Gulf War and said he would rather meet up with the IRG than to ride with Brandt again.

Soon after meeting Brandt I also met my friend Bob S. Bob had a brand-new Mac Plus computer. He introduced me to FileMaker II, a flat-file program that was (and remains) one of the easiest ways to input and recover data. It was ideal for digitizing the PL List. The problem was I had to type in each record individually. I did, a couple hours a night in the back room of the 7-11 store Bob worked at on the midnight shift. I worked 3-11’s on the police department so would go there after work and use Bob’s computer to enter these records. After a month or so of doing this for several hours several nights a week (my social life was rather slow at the time…) I had all these records entered into the computer. Bob also had an ImageWriter II printer, so we printed this database once I finished entering the data. It took almost 8 hours to print what turned out to be almost 100 pages. Soon thereafter I bought my own Mac and ImageWriter II so I could do this nerd stuff at home.

Before I embarked on this, I asked Brandt if it was OK with him. He agreed as he would have loved to be able to do it himself, but he had no way of doing so. He had no computer and, living in an SRO apartment, wouldn’t have had the room. The best he was able to do was getting one of those Casio data organizers, but he could never get it to work for his purposes. I made some copies of the printout at work and gave the original to Brandt. He and a couple others in our group would tag any updates and once in a while give me that to update the master file.

We soon discovered that by using a specific font and size (Courier 12 IIRC) for large files such as these would allow the ImageWriter II to print at a much faster speed, apparently that was the native font for that printer. Once we found that our we were able to make printouts much faster, under 2 hours for 100 or so pages.

Brandt died in 2002 after moving to Princeton, IL where he had family. His health had been failing for some time. For all his eccentricities he was well loved by RCMA and later CARMA members and, even though we would tease him or pull the occasional prank on him it was always with love and respect. He was basically harmless, and we knew it and tolerated his eccentricities. I think about him from time to time, usually followed by laughter after recalling one of his antics. When chatting with other scanner guys and we discuss PL codes we always raise a glass to him.
Rich,Talk about a trip down memory lane. Great story. I remember all of this. Thanks so much for these now vivid looks back in time.