Scanner for Repeater DMR, P25e, FMN???

coachrork

If a frequency has a 400 level frequency followed by "Repeater (DMR)" what type of scanner would I need to listen to that. Could the same scanner pick up a 100 level frequency that has a mode of "P25e" (not sure what this stands for) or "FMN"?

If a frequency has a 400 level frequency followed by "Repeater (DMR)" what type of scanner would I need to listen to that. Could the same scanner pick up a 100 level frequency that has a mode of "P25e" (not sure what this stands for) or "FMN"?
400 mhz is a frequency band.

"e" means it's encrypted part time and cannot be monitored.

This explains P25 and DMR.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
DMR and P25 are both digital formats, but not compatible with each other.
FMB is narrow band, analog FM.

All newer scanners will handle FMN (but some may have problems with adjacent channel interference on splinter channels).
Most digital scanners handle P25 (no scanner handles encrypted) out of the box, but they usually require the purchase of an entitlement key to add DMR functionality. Look at the Uniden 325P2 as an example.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before we go into what scanners are out there and might fit your needs, let's see where you are (county and state is fine) and what system(s) you want to hear. We can then put eyes in your area using the frequencies in our database. Once we know all of this, we can proceed.

Mike

coachrork

Before we go into what scanners are out there and might fit your needs, let's see where you are (county and state is fine) and what system(s) you want to hear. We can then put eyes in your area using the frequencies in our database. Once we know all of this, we can proceed.

Mike
Shelby and Christian County Illinois

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
For your area I'm also in IL you can get away with the 436hp unless you want to listen to ISP or any state agency then you would need the SDS100
A bit of clarification. Some STARCOM21 sites (like sites 226 in Shelby County and sites 227 and 265 in Christian County) each have their transmitters at a single location. The BCD436HP should be able to receive those sites with no problems provided that you have an adequate signal at your receiving location. It's when you try to listen to what is designated as a 'simulcast' site (like site 263 in Sangamon County) that the BCD436HP has issues. With a simulcast site, the same signals are being transmitted from multiple locations at the same time. Generally, the '436 doesn't do such a good job in handling this, and as a result the transmissions often sound choppy and broken. However, the SDS100 and SDS200 excel in handling simulcast sites.

Hope this helps...

A bit of clarification. Some STARCOM21 sites (like sites 226 in Shelby County and sites 227 and 265 in Christian County) each have their transmitters at a single location. The BCD436HP should be able to receive those sites with no problems provided that you have an adequate signal at your receiving location. It's when you try to listen to what is designated as a 'simulcast' site (like site 263 in Sangamon County) that the BCD436HP has issues. With a simulcast site, the same signals are being transmitted from multiple locations at the same time. Generally, the '436 doesn't do such a good job in handling this, and as a result the transmissions often sound choppy and broken. However, the SDS100 and SDS200 excel in handling simulcast sites.

Hope this helps...
Kevin you are correct. From my location in Bensenville, I run all of site 101 on my 536hp and for some reason even though it's a simulcast site I have no issues with DuPage agencies all come in perfect. For all other sites I use the SDS200. Kevo this is Antonio (KB9WUV) remember I worked at the Daley Center Courts.