scanner for wake county

Status
Not open for further replies.

buchanan114

Premium Subscriber
Thanks in advance for the help. I am looking to purchase a Whistler TRX-1 scanner, and want to know if that will cover most of Wake counties systems. I am mostly looking to monitor towns( I understand Cary PD is encrypted), and WC Sheriff. Thanks again in advance. Dave

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks in advance for the help. I am looking to purchase a Whistler TRX-1 scanner, and want to know if that will cover most of Wake counties systems. I am mostly looking to monitor towns( I understand Cary PD is encrypted), and WC Sheriff. Thanks again in advance. Dave

Welcome Dave,
The TRX-1 should cover Wake County just fine. And you are correct in that Cary PD is encrypted.
Marshall KE4ZNR

cfp700

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks,

Just recently acquired a Whistler TRX-1 and I'm in Wake County. I had the unit pre-programmed for Wake and Mecklenburg counties. After receiving the unit, I quickly realized that the Wake Simulcast TRS system was NOT receiving any of the talkgroups. The unit was programmed by ZipScanners.

If you program the scanner by area (zip code or county) (either through the software or on the radio) it will NOT program the Wake County Simulcast system correctly.

Here's the fix (via the software, which is much easier)

Ensure that you are working in the correct V-Scanner folder, and go through normal procedure of populating a system and some talkgroups by using the "Library Import" tab.

1. Open your working V-Scanner folder, go to the Trunked Radio System tab.

2. (upper box) - highlight line with "Wake County Sim"

3. (lower part of page) - pick "Site Details"

4. Pick "Site 001" and you'll see 32 frequencies listed (in the lower right box). You'll want to remove all of the 32 frequencies and replace with the control channel(s).

On slots 5-32 (which should now be blank/zero) go ahead and lock those out.

5. Pick "Site 002" and you'll need to replace those 32 frequencies with these:

On slots 3-32 lock those out.

6. The system will automatically update the custom tables.

Should work like a charm now. I don't have experience to know if this will happen with other TRS systems, but this fix is required because most Motorola TRS systems won't accept over 32 frequencies (at least the software won't).

Marshall, feel free to update/correct/modify and/or move this post as required.

CFP-700
Raleigh, NC

N1FJB

Premium Subscriber
Fix in RR database

Wonder if there will be a fix in the database for this? I have the pro-668 and had to do the same thing.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The Wake County system in the RR database is accurate. It does not need to be fixed.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

N1FJB

Premium Subscriber
I know it is accurate. Just wondering if there was a way they could just list the control channels. There are so many of these scanners out there. I know also when I first programmed my pro-106 with the software it did the same thing. Until I realized what was going on it was very frustrating. Wonder why the uniden preprogrammed scanners can handle it and the gre /whistler scanners can't?

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks,

Just recently acquired a Whistler TRX-1 and I'm in Wake County. I had the unit pre-programmed for Wake and Mecklenburg counties. After receiving the unit, I quickly realized that the Wake Simulcast TRS system was NOT receiving any of the talkgroups. The unit was programmed by ZipScanners.

If you program the scanner by area (zip code or county) (either through the software or on the radio) it will NOT program the Wake County Simulcast system correctly.

Here's the fix (via the software, which is much easier)

Ensure that you are working in the correct V-Scanner folder, and go through normal procedure of populating a system and some talkgroups by using the "Library Import" tab.

1. Open your working V-Scanner folder, go to the Trunked Radio System tab.

2. (upper box) - highlight line with "Wake County Sim"

3. (lower part of page) - pick "Site Details"

4. Pick "Site 001" and you'll see 32 frequencies listed (in the lower right box). You'll want to remove all of the 32 frequencies and replace with the control channel(s).

On slots 5-32 (which should now be blank/zero) go ahead and lock those out.

5. Pick "Site 002" and you'll need to replace those 32 frequencies with these:

On slots 3-32 lock those out.

6. The system will automatically update the custom tables.

Should work like a charm now. I don't have experience to know if this will happen with other TRS systems, but this fix is required because most Motorola TRS systems won't accept over 32 frequencies (at least the software won't).

Marshall, feel free to update/correct/modify and/or move this post as required.

CFP-700
Raleigh, NC

I ran into the same problem with the Pro-668 and Wake Simulcast. Same fix...remove automatically imported freqs and populate the list with accurate information.
This drove me crazy when I first messed around with my 668 because I was like..."I know I have accurate information because I imported it from RR". .....but after doinking around like you it became obvious to me the limitations of how much data can be populated in the list on the scanner.

Enjoyed reading your post....

73 de K4OC
Sam

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
Uniden

So what I am to understand is that this issue does not translate to Uniden devices? and is a matter of the software not being able to manage the amount of frequencies that are listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.