BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Scanner is skipping transmissions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudeMule

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 14, 2021
Messages
24
Reaction score
12
Location
Missouri
So i have had the P2 for about a week. I have mostly conventional systems programmed and I have been doing a side-by-side comparison with an old desktop BC340CRS. The 340 is picking up the transmissions from the beginning and the P2 is about 2-3 seconds late to the game. This doesnt seem to happen every time but about 50%.

Squelch is set at 2 on the P2 and set about 12 o'clock on the 340
Antennas are the same and the P2 picks up the WX channels much better/clearer.

This has to be a setting that I have overlooked correct?
 

JoeBearcat

Inactive member
Uniden Representative
Joined
Jun 30, 2020
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
2,586
Are you scanning the same number of channels/systems on both?

It could be the digital delay if these are analog transmissions. It will wait (typically 0.4 seconds) to make sure the transmission is not digital. To solve that program those channels as analog only.
 

n1chu

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
3,187
Reaction score
993
Location
Farmington, Connecticut
Before a proper comparison is made you need to consider what Joe Bearcat has stated. Both scanners must be programmed alike. And to further refine the comparison, again, as Joe Bearcat has stated, keep it simple... use only all conventional (non-trunking) choices. You could also compare just trunked agencies in the same manner, just use the same agencies in both scanners. Let us know what your results are.
 

RudeMule

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 14, 2021
Messages
24
Reaction score
12
Location
Missouri
Are you scanning the same number of channels/systems on both?

It could be the digital delay if these are analog transmissions. It will wait (typically 0.4 seconds) to make sure the transmission is not digital. To solve that program those channels as analog only.

they are not programmed with the same channels but I can make that happen.
I will have to double check but I think I have all the analog channels set appropriately in FreeScan.

I will make some adjustments and report back if I discover anything.

thanks for all the suggestions
 

ka3aaa

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
1,293
Reaction score
781
Location
middletown, pa.
if you are trying to see which scanner is missing transmissions both scanners wiil need to be programmed the same way 100 percent and connected to the same antenna at the same time.
 

RudeMule

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 14, 2021
Messages
24
Reaction score
12
Location
Missouri
So I removed the Project 25/Phase I systems from the 996P2, and tested it with the exact same conventional frequencies as the BC340CRS and it functioned exactly the same.

It appears that including the digital systems in the 996P2 is causing my issue
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,468
Reaction score
3,151
Location
Port Charlotte FL
i will guess you mean trunking systems.
the radio spends 2 seconds on every trunking system for 'housekeeping'.
so if you have 1 system it will be on that one for 2 seconds
if you have 2 systems it will take 4 seconds and so on.
even if you set the hold time to 0, it takes the 2 seconds.
 

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
3,729
Location
VA
P25 control channels broadcast a repeating loop of data that indicates active calls and other stuff. The loop repeats every 1-2 seconds, and the scanner needs a complete loop to know what calls are active. So there's no way to make that part faster.
 

buddrousa

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
15,011
Reaction score
10,872
Location
Retired 40 Year Firefighter NW Tenn
Mr Mule that is why I run as many scanners as I do over 20 active Unidens each one scanning different counties and or systems.
Run your digital systems on 1 scanner and your analog on a different scanner you will hear more traffic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top