SCANNER MAGAZINES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnCowden

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2003
Messages
843
Reaction score
1
Location
London, Kentucky
IS SCANNING USA A GOOD MAG. ??

ALSO TO CHOOSE FROM WHICH ONE WOULD U PICK ??

MT

NAT- COMMUNICATIONS

POP. COMMUNICATIONS

SCANNING USA

WHICH IS BEST ??
 

Radiorick

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
537
Reaction score
2
greated these aren't scanning mag's but you might want to through:
CQ and NUTS&VOLTS in there.
 

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
812
Location
Cleveland, OH
Scanning USA is probably the worst choice. Their articles are very lightweight, with not much technical depth and a lot of fluff. The last (and VERY last) issue I bought...the front cover pictures didn't even match up with the captions! The whole magazine feels pretty amateurish. The plastic cover that prevents you from flipping through the pages while on display at Borders should be a strong hint!

Popular Communications is a well-rounded magazine that offers a lot more for your money. Good technical articles, reviews, and Steve Douglass writes an excellent military communications column.

Monitoring Times is also very good and probably offers the most technical articles, but the subjects are very specific. Also offers a very comprehensive monthly SWL guide.

Erik
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,189
Reaction score
76
Location
Southern Ohio
I used to write for Scanning USA, but now I write for National Communications. Nat Comm is more oriented to the beginner hobbyist, but we still provide good all around information.


Shawn since you are in Ohio I suggest you check out the
All Ohio Scanner Club.

http://www.aosc.org/


Mark
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,189
Reaction score
76
Location
Southern Ohio
ShawnCowden said:
radioscan, are u a member of that club, do u like them and do u find your money's worth ??

Well, I will be biased in my statement. I have written the Southwestern Ohio column for over 16 years and the Federal/Military column for almost as long.

You get out of it what you put into it. We editors are very dependent upon our members to send us the material to edit, print and share with all of our readers. Tom Swisher (one of the admins here on this site) writes the Central/Southern Ohio column and can be considered one of the best in the hobby. His column covers the area where you are located.

That being said, will you see info for your area in every issue? Probably not, but anything you send off to Tom will be shared in the newsletter.

In my years in the hobby I consider myself lucky to live in an area served by the club. It is a first class organization and has outlasted many other scanner related organizations.

We now offer an electronic version membership at less than the printed membership cost.

I would still be a member whether I wrote for them or not.
Mark
 

ShawnCowden

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2003
Messages
843
Reaction score
1
Location
London, Kentucky
does it have info on new scanner radios, maps, tech info, and new digital systems ??

y is it stil called aosc since it covers the whole midwest northeast usa ??
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,189
Reaction score
76
Location
Southern Ohio
ShawnCowden said:
does it have info on new scanner radios, maps, tech info, and new digital systems ??

We have info on the new scanners and antennas as we get the information in, we also have reviews of such equipment, tips and tricks.

I am not sure what what you mean by maps, there are no maps in the newsletter, unless it is one to show driving directions to a club picnic.

If the new digital systems are located within our coverage area we cover them. We have been on the forefront of Ohio MARCS information from its inception.

y is it stil called aosc since it covers the whole midwest northeast usa ??

We have always covered the areas surrounding Ohio. We picked up the areas of the northeast when the Northeast Scanning News Club folded about 10 years ago. These days the club name no longer fits like it use to with our expansion over the years. But the name is so engrained and identifiable we elect to keep it.

Mark
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,189
Reaction score
76
Location
Southern Ohio
ShawnCowden said:
ok thanks and do u really think this should be the one for me ?? i heard around 40 page newsletter right ?? if so thats kewl :)

Its been more like 20 pages nowadays. I suggest contacting club headquarters and ordering a sample issue, take a look at it and then decide.

MT is a great resource. I find Pop Comm to be way too generalized these days. I used to subscribe to both of them religiously years ago.
Now I just pick up a copy of MT every now and then.

I don't like the focus of Scanning USA's articles, nor the layout of the magazine itself.

Nat Comm is a good source, but our main focus is for the beginning hobbyist.

AOSC is a great source for hobbyists in and around Ohio and our coverage area.


Mark
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,189
Reaction score
76
Location
Southern Ohio
ShawnCowden said:
20 pages is still good. can u order it with paypal or a credit card ?? some issues have more or less then 20 ?? i suppose

Our Nov/Dec 04 Issue #155 ran about 17 pages. My Federal/Military column ran a profile of Rickenbacker Air National Guard base.

AFAIK it can only be ordered with check/money order to the club address.
Contact Dave Marshall at: n8oay@qsl.net and he can tell you a lot more, and any options I might not know about.

Club membership also gives you online access to back issues, and our email list.

Mark
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top