Scanner Recommendations for Guilford County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyte

I'm a newbie with no real knowledge of scanners and wanted to see if someone could give me some scanner recommendations for the Guilford County area? Specifically, I would like to listen to the Guilford County Sheriff's Department, Greensboro Police Department and the NC Highway Patrol, but do not know which scanners are able to pickup their frequencies.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to a quality and affordable (I know that is subjective) scanner that would pickup these two agencies. I am interested in both a handheld unit for use when I'm driving and a desktop unit that I can use at home and leave on since TV bores me.

Thanks in advance...

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Homepatrol II or BCD536HP are your best bets. Neither are cheap, but you will be prepared for Phase II when it arrives here.

Alternately, you can pick up a used BCD396XT, BCD996XT, or Homepatrol I for a slightly lower price, but these are only Phase I capable.

Leyte

The Uniden HomePatrol II looks like a nice unit, especially since it takes all the complicated stuff and makes it look easy for rookies like me. It is a bit pricey, but worth serious consideration.

Drafin

Other alternatives include the Whistler WS1080 and WS1095, and GRE PSR 800 (now discontinued). All of these are TDMA X2 (phase II) capable scanners.

Draf

ems902

Check your private messages. I left you some information there. If you want to see a BCD 436 or 536 let me know. I have already built a Greensboro/Guilford profile that also has all surrounding counties, VIPER and other systems. I will be happy to help you understand trunking scanners, assist you with programming and provide any needed codes, etc. You definitely want to buy a P25 capable scanner since we already have a P25 core shared by Greensboro, Guilford County, High Point and Burlington. If all goes well, migration to P25 will begin once all public safety radios are capable. That appears to be a few years out.If all doesn't go well (Older infrastructure fails), we may be forced to move sooner than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.