Scanner Recs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpdghter

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to RR for a while now, but would like to get my own scanner. I want to listen to Hayward PD/FD, ALCO FD/SD, Union City, Fremont.

I have been eyeing the RS PRO-164, but am wondering if this radio will pick up the areas/systems I am interested in.

Also another concern I have is buying a radio now, with potential system changes coming up (If I'm understanding correctly the EBRCSA changes) and wondering if it is better to wait before purchasing, or if the radio I've been thinking about will continue to work.

If anyone has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. I see right now, RS has the scanner for $50 off, then an additional $15 off, so it is a good price until 12/24.

Thank you so much.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
Have you considered Digital? I would heavily suggest purchasing a P-25 capable scanner. As you said, EBRCS, The San Mateo and Santa Clara County Phase 1 systems will be coming online soon, and all said systems being p25.
Take a look at this one perhaps.
RadioShack® PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com
Did I miss something? AFAIK only the county itself in San Mateo County is digital. All other agencies within are on a reliable analog system with no plans to change after seeing what happened to Redwood City. Santa Clara County has even less digital traffic and the mayor in San Jose blew the whistle on Big M before they too became another interoperabily nightmare. If you're reading something different please post a link.

kma371

QRT
He's only interested in alameda county sounds like. I would get a uniden 396xt or 996xt. Both would work fine for the agencies you are talking about listening too

Status
Not open for further replies.