Scanner Tales: My Programmable Bearcats from the 80’s

N9JIG

Sheriff
I started as a police/fire dispatcher at 18 in 1979, the day after my high school graduation, I had actually been hired two weeks prior but I had to get that diploma before I could start. I had already been a firefighter for almost a year and a cadet for 2 years before that. By then I had had a wide variety of crystal scanners, some tunable VHF receivers and of course a Minitor pager issued by my FD. I also had a Plectron receiver from my FD. My Dad had a couple Plectrons as well as he was on the Fire and Police Commission from the town we lived in and had been a police officer there years back. It helped that our next door neighbor was a Lieutenant (and later Chief) on that PD.

When I started dispatching, I was paired with a veteran dispatcher on the afternoon shift for training; Bob. He had one of those new-fangled keyboard programmable scanners, a BC210. I couldn’t afford one as I was paying for a car, college tuition, rent and girls on not much more than minimum wage but he let me borrow it from time to time.

A year or so later he tired of it and sold it to me and I was in hog heaven. 10 whole channels and no crystals; what was there not to love? I wore out that keypad! Pretty soon however I traded that in on a BC220 and then a friend offered to sell me his BC20/20. That BC-20/20 lived in my car for 3 years as it fit perfectly (more on that later).

I also had a BC250 during this time frame, and there was a group of us that sort of traded various scanners around. I may have either had the same BC250 twice or two different ones at different times, I can’t be sure. Others in the group had a variety of the same genre, like the 210XLT, and some of the JC Penny’s, Sears and Wards versions of the same radios. I seem to recall someone having a BC211 but cannot seem to remember who. I also seem to remember a BC218 scanner along the way.

These scanners all shared a common form factor. They had a sloping front panel we called “The Wedge”, with the volume and squelch on the right side, keyboard in the center and speaker on the left. The back panel had a Motorola jack for the antenna, a spade lug for the 12VDC power, a ground screw, a two-wire AC power jack and an external speaker jack. On the BC250 and perhaps a couple others there was a screw terminal on the back, I seem to recall this was to turn on and off a tape recorder via its Remote jack.

The BC210 had a battery for memory retention so it would not lose the frequencies when you unplugged it. I think the original batch used some sort of coin cell while most later radios used 9-volt batteries. The 210 would not however retain the delay or lockout status when power was removed, but with only 10 channels that was not an issue. Later the 211, 220 and others would retain the delays and lockouts, but curiously (on the 220, 20/20 and 250) not the banks one had selected.

In the early 1980’s programmable scanners were pretty much limited to the base/mobile units. Handheld scanners were pretty much restricted to crystals. I had had a few decent handheld scanners at the time, by then it was pretty much the Bearcat 4/6 (4-bands, 6-channels) for me. I had moved on from my Regency years and really didn’t deal with the RadioShack scanners too much then. I also had had some of the older RCA and Midland handheld scanners in the late 70’s but when the 4/6 and later the ThinScan came out I was converted to Bearcats.

Then along came the BC100. I got one around 1982ish. As I recall it there were a couple iterations of this. The one I had used AA-sized NiCad batteries but you needed a small Phillips screwdriver if you wanted to swap them out, they were intended to stay in the radio and be charged with a wall-wart. Mine also had a threaded antenna connection, and I paid a fortune for it. While later models had a BNC antenna connector and a better battery panel there was no way for me to spend the kind of money to replace it. That scanner was someplace around $400, probably close to $1000 in today’s money.

That BC100 was a decent enough scanner. I took it along on a cross-country Amtrak trip and it performed well, but I just didn’t like it. On the last leg of that trip I had a guy offer me $300 in cash for it on the spot, I took it and when I got home I replaced it with a Radio Shack PRO-30. That had a BNC connector and easier to replace batteries. I still kept my Bearcats in the car and at home however.

In 1984 I got hired as a police officer and now had some extra money to spend on toys. I had pared my scanners down to the PRO-30 for handheld use, a BC20/20 for the car and a BC250 at home. I still had a bunch of other scanners but these were pretty much the daily drivers. In late 1985 I bought a new 1986 Ford Bronco II, my first 4WD vehicle. This car had a pocket shelf above the glove box that I guess was intended for a place to put your sunglasses, cigarettes or some maps.

I brought the 20/20 out to my new car and was trying to figure out where to mount it along with my CB (this was the 80’s after all). I discovered that it fit this shelf perfectly after sticking it in there to get it out of my way when I was contorting myself to look under the dashboard. I was able to reach back and found that there seemed to be enough space behind the back wall of this shelf to run some wires so I decided to put the 20/20 there.

I popped in a Motorola to SO239 adapter into the antenna connector of the scanner and drew on it with a pencil to get some pencil lead on it. I then pushed the radio into the pocket shelf and that marked the spot to drill a hole for the antenna connector. I then used a hole drill just larger than a PL259 sleeve and drilled the hole. I then drilled a smaller hole where the power lug was and ran a power and ground lead thru it. I left enough tail on both the antenna and power leads to allow me to pull the radio out and connect it. The pocket was just the right size to hold the scanner in place with no hardware.

That 20/20 was such a perfect fit for me that it lived in that spot for the next 4 years. I didn’t remove it until I traded the car in and the dealer never mentioned the holes there or on the roof for the antennas.

By the late 80’s and early 90’s the old Bearcat 20/20, 250 and others of that design were pretty much obsolete. I kept the BC220 I had as it was able to filter out the standby tone for the VHF mobile phone systems in use at the time as well as the pseudo-trunking tones used by the Ontario Provincial Police on their 140 MHz. VHF network. As I travelled to Ontario often at the time for railfanning that was pretty important. I don’t think the 20/20 had that filter however so I always had the 220 with me when I went to the Great White North.

Occasionally later on I would end up with another 220, 20/20 or 250 thru a trade or an impulse purchase at a hamfest. They were always great on VHF low band but as they aged they had a variety of issues with power supplies, cold solder joints and keyboard or potentiometer issues. There was a Bearcat repair center in suburban Chicago (Franklin Park) that I could drop a radio off at and they would fix it, often on the spot, but that closed down sometime after the Uniden takeover. I knew a guy who had worked there and he retained some of the service manuals and components for a few years after that. Eventually I moved on to newer scanners, the 20/20 would not fit well in the newer vehicles and 4 years of bouncing around in a Bronco with a poor suspension took its toll. The A/B switch broke on me during a trip so I replaced it with a toggle, that worked well but looked pretty hinky. I considered replacing it with a BC250 but ended up trading in the car before I did.

As for that BC100 handheld scanner, it was pretty much the last Bearcat handheld I had until years later when I got a BC200XLT, another great performer on Low Band! I remember a trip down to the St. Louis area once with that with its stock antenna listening to LA County FD on 33.70 while driving on a steel lattice bridge across the Mississippi River. I kept that for years and had a couple spare batteries, one of those great Metro-West charger stands and a couple different cases. It finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a PRO43 in the mid-1990s as that would work on Military Air and I lived next to a Naval Air Station.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
As I had previously mentioned to Rich, I had three BC250s with a serious hum on all channels. As I recall, the hum was present if it was plugged into 110VAC or 12VDC. The 3rd one didn't have an objectionable hum, but I had to go through the return/exchange & wait for the replacement to be sent. I don't recall which vendor I used, but it was about a month in between for each exchange. The next replacement was a Realistic Pro-2004. I had the carrier LED indicator mounted, and just after the warranty expired, I had to get the LCD replaced because the original was so dim it was unrecognizable. Now I have an SDS200, 536, and a 15X for base units. Handhelds are a 436, 125, 43, and something else I can't remember. I use a ScanTenna SC-2 for the base antenna connected to a Stridsberg 4-port multi-coupler.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BC210 had a battery for memory retention so it would not lose the frequencies when you unplugged it. I think the original batch used some sort of coin cell while most later radios used 9-volt batteries.
I have two Bearcat 210's with the button cell batteries. My first programmable handheld was the Radio Shack PRO-30 with 16 channels, which was their first non-crystal handheld. I also have a Bearcat III by Electra with 8 crystal-controlled channels.

W5KK

Another great story. The radio station newsroom for the station I engineered in the early 1980’s had a BC210 and I purchased a BC250 later. Both worked well. We used the tape out and the aux connector on the BC250 and connected them to a cassette recorder to record a condensed version of what went on during overnights when no one staffed the newsroom.

CrabbyMilton

My very first scanner was the BC 210. Only 10 channels and yes, very limited memory. Mostly for the delay and lockout functions. I was only 16 in 1980 when my Mom gave it to me for Christmas. For some reason, the UHF frequencies had to be programmed offset. For example if the frequency was 460.075, I had to program it as 460.087. Took me awhile to figure that out but I was wondering why I couldn't hear anything on the true frequency. Eventually, I bought a 20/20 because I wanted to receive aircraft. It was a good scanner too but I only bought handhelds after 1990 since the portability was too great not to have.

kg4ehv

My very first scanner was also a BC-210 I bought in Feb of '78, Loved the scanner. I'd get to drive my dads truck and I'd plug it in the cigarette lighter and set it on the seat and ride all over town.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Oh, the good old days when all you had to do to program a scanner was enter the frequency and press enter. My first programmable scanner was the BC-101. I think I bought it in in 1976 when I was in college. Flip the switches in accordance with the manual and you were all set. Right after college I bought a BC-100. Lots of fun. A few years later the 101 went down and could not be repaired and Electra Bearcat offered me a factory refurbished BC-3500 or something like that- desk top with lots of storage and lots of banks to program. I learned a lot about scanning from that radio. The more you ask it do it less it does anything well. Over the years- lots of programmables and more sophisticated and complicated means of programming- it wouldn't be a hobby without a learning curve.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Which did better for VHF-hi from that era? The Regency M series or BC210 series (or even another model from another manufacturer?) I know Bearcat 210s were popular among railfans, but I wonder if that was a matter of cost/availability/word of mouth and not how they performed vs. other brands.

N9JIG

Sheriff

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Not a scanner, but Motorola MX series were the best radios I ever had for railfanning. I'd pull up to a photo spot in the Dodge Diplomat full police package, camera and MX in hand. That MX heard everything L&C when other fan's scanners didn't even break squelch. The looks I got when I pulled up in that car were priceless! Never got tailgated or road raged either. 😎 And got lots of good photos thanks to that MX. I rue the days when I sold/traded them.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
(continued)

I had most of the Bearcat scanners, unimpressed with the build quality, chintzy chassis with sharp edges, legions of birdies and component leads not trimmed on the circuit boards. Just cheap workmanship.

As far as I'm concerned they didn't start getting good until the 200xlt. Had the original BC100 but the battery arrangement was a PIA, even though it was an achievement for its time.

One favorite I had was the 260. The weird package was appealing to me because it was different and it worked great. 300 was another good one. I liked the green gas discharge displays.

Now since I'm in the boonies with everything still analog in my county I just use a CCR. Undeniably sensitive, 8-10 channels do it and I don't worry about the wide open receiver here. State police are encrypted, I'm on fixed income only so forget the SDS 100 and I'm (again) not impressed with the problems I've read about. I don't expect the build quality to be any better either. (never handled one)

N9JIG

Sheriff
We had nothing but problems with our MX radios. They had poorly soldered ground rails and the various option boards would loosen up over time. Eventually every one would develop the "MX Whine" and have to go in to be resoldered. There was a guy at the radio shop that did these all day long for the various MX300 series users. Our radios at Park Ridge were MX320 (I think) and then at Winnetka were MX340 and 340S's. These had the GE-Star option requiring the larger 340 frame. We had an FBI agent come in once, he had an MX360 (or was it a MX380?), thing was huge! He also had the larger battery which made it even taller.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
We had nothing but problems with our MX radios. They had poorly soldered ground rails and the various option boards would loosen up over time. Eventually every one would develop the "MX Whine" and have to go in to be resoldered. There was a guy at the radio shop that did these all day long for the various MX300 series users. Our radios at Park Ridge were MX320 (I think) and then at Winnetka were MX340 and 340S's. These had the GE-Star option requiring the larger 340 frame. We had an FBI agent come in once, he had an MX360 (or was it a MX380?), thing was huge! He also had the larger battery which made it even taller.
Oh, the 360 was definitely a baseball bat! I babied my radios but with the plastic frame I wondered how that'd hold up under police use. I did a lot of frame changes over time when I worked at a shop for a time. Got good at it. Most difficult was replacing the t-r relay (if you could find one) Hottest receiver in any radio I had, before or since but banktuptcy court expenditures on crystals. Crystaled the channel elements myself.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Oh, the 360 was definitely a baseball bat! I babied mine but with the plastic frame I wondered how that'd hold up under police use. I did a lot of frame changes over time when I worked at a shop for a time.
I changed many a control flex on the 360. An agency we maintained had theirs until the late 90's. They had a budget for maintenance but not for new radios. The control flex was around $300 NSO (we charged them cost) at that time and it took every bit of 3 hours to replace one, so $500'ish but they had no choice.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
As I had previously mentioned to Rich, I had three BC250s with a serious hum on all channels. As I recall, the hum was present if it was plugged into 110VAC or 12VDC. The 3rd one didn't have an objectionable hum, but I had to go through the return/exchange & wait for the replacement to be sent. I don't recall which vendor I used, but it was about a month in between for each exchange.
I too had the BC250. Bought it from a local two way radio shop that also sold scanners and CB's on the side.

As I recall, they had a very high failure rate. Mine also had the hum.

The first one lasted a few minutes and then died. I returned it for a replacement, which also died after only a few minutes. When I returned it, they allowed me to open the box and test it out before I went home with it. As I recall, we tried out several more samples before we found one that operated correctly.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I changed many a control flex on the 360. An agency we maintained had theirs until the late 90's. They had a budget for maintenance but not for new radios. The control flex was around $300 NSO (we charged them cost) at that time and it took every bit of 3 hours to replace one, so $500'ish but they had no choice.
Been there done that too... MX was a looker though, futuristic for the time. Wish I kept mine.
Towns used to drive me bonkers. Money over and over to try to fix an obsolete junker that belonged in the landfill 20 years prior. ("it's done, BUY A NEW RADIO!" Get a Motorola.) Oh, no, we can't do that.

Glad I got out of two way as a job. Ruined the hobby end for a long time for me.
When I crashed a company van (guy pulled out in front of me, unavoidable) the crazy owner twisted everything around to blame me. (LOOK, read the police report, conversation's over, I said) Some here might know the name-Warner Communications in Upper Montclair, NJ. The old man was a real nutjob. Out of business or bought out now from what I heard. Good riddance.

Last edited:

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I owned most of these but the 100 and 101 were frankly the worst for many reasons, BUT we all must remember these 2 were extremely advanced for the time, 1st real programmable handheld and mobile/base. I spent hours pushing those little switches up and down on the 101! I do recall it occasionally just lost a frequency and I would have to reprogram or I would have to use some fancy formula to program a frequency not in the manual.
I think everybody owned a bd210xl! Also our emergency preparedness group owned 5 bc300s Installed in a rack.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Our agency had 54 MX-340's back in 1987. As administrator of the Motorola 800 MHz Spectra Tac conventional multi-site two-channel repeater system, we constantly had issues with the portable radios. 47 of the portable MX-340's were "plan-x'ed," meaning that after 3 repairs, they were replaced. My assignment as administrator of the project was also to bring the radios to the Motorola repair center, drop them off, pick them up, approximately 2-3 times a week. I was assigned to the Detective Division, so I had quite a bit of latitude in my dual-assignment. Ultimately, we were issued Motorola "STYX" portable radios which weren't much better in quality than the MX-340's. After several years of back and forth, this and that, ALL the radios were replaced with Motorola MT-2000's, and our breakdown issues were almost completely eliminated. They were work horses, and like Timex watches, "Took a licking, and kept on ticking!.