Scanning Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahate

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Well this is my first post and I just recently purchased a Pro-97 as my first scanner. Whilst it is in transit (should be getting here in two or three days) I have a few questions that I thought people here would be able to answer...

1. Having only just recently read (like a day after ordering my scanner) that Melbourne is converting to encypted digital for alot of their safety networks, what are some other good things to listen to? Also, even though they still change to digital encrypted, by getting a digital scanner in a year or two would you be able to pick up SOME transmissions...that is, is it automatically encrypted, or does the end user have to choose to encrypt?

2. I was thinking of getting another antenna before my scanner arrives - anybody got suggestions for what would be a good choice for metro melbourne area? I want it to be portable, but it can be visible...

3. Are there any melbourne based groups or internet sites that I should know about to get help?

Thanks for any info you guys can give me....and I just have to say that I'm glad I stumbled onto this site!

Shahate
 

grant

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2001
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
Location
Sydney, Australia
Digital in Australia seems largely confined to law enforcement.
There is a general push towards digital encryption, so getting a digital capable scanner may not be helpful in the long run
There is plenty of analogue left to monitor including trunking.

In google type melbournemetroscan and scan australia
They are 2 sites that come to mind that you can join and have a lot of melbourne based stuff

Can't help you on antennas as really don't have much need for anything fancy (I live in a RF swamp so to speak) and never got into it

Grant
 

Shahate

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the reply Grant...those searches you mentioned have really helped me out!

In regards to the atenna, I've decided to just wait and see how the one that comes with the Pro-97 performs - no point in buying stuff before I even know what I need!

Also, I have another question - where are some good radio shops in Melbourne? Are there any in the city? I went through all the Dick Smith's today and they didn't really seem to have much at all...are there any good shops or is it best to shop online?

Thanks again for the reply, it's been a help already.

*edit* Just realised you are from Sydney :) but I'll leave the question about shops up in case anybody from Melbourne comes by!
 

MikeAus

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Grant

Do you know if anyone has successfully used a U.S. version BCD396T to successfully monitor Sydney Police frequencies.

Mike
 

Shahate

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Speaking of which, any news on an Australian release of a new Uniden scanner? I heard rumours that it was going to be the 396...
 

asusanator

Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Shahate said:
Speaking of which, any news on an Australian release of a new Uniden scanner? I heard rumours that it was going to be the 396...

Haha have a look at the other thread in this section :p
 

grant

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2001
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
Location
Sydney, Australia
The latest I have heard is that the Aussie version of the 396 is due 3rd week of November - I know DSE is stocking them. Many people are hanging off purchasing digital until the 396 arrives, so it should be a good seller.

As for the US version of the 396, I see no reason why it shouldn't ... all the other US versions work in Sydney (250d, 296d, 785d, 796d, Pro-96, Pro2096 etc).

For the record, Alpha and Kilo have switched now to digital on 6th and 11th October 2005 respectively. The New channel "4" digital transmitters are operational (26th october) but currently patched into analogue Charlie.


Grant
 

asusanator

Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Yay

Yay cant wait for the 396. I am one of the people hanging off buying a new scanner untill it gets here. *wets himself thinking about it*

On a side note do you know any aussie scanning irc chans ?

Later ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top