• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanning Multiple Scan Lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

Group,

Anyone know if it is possible to setup a Motorola CDM1550LS series to scan multiple scan lists at the same time vs only one scan list at a time? If this can be done, how do i go about doing it?

Thank you,
Doug

riveter

Premium Subscriber
In everything I've seen, scanlists are set per personality. You can't have a floating scanlist selection for a personality on any Motorola radio that I know of.

dapaq2

I do not understand what you mean by "Floating Scan List Selection for a personality" (floating), can you explain more in detail or in another way? I am wanting to do similar to what "multi zone scan" does i.e. scan more than one zone at the same time, but in this case, scan multiple scan lists at the same time.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No, it's not possible. 15 + 1 is all the Waris radios are capable of scanning at once (15 chs in the list plus Selected).

riveter

Premium Subscriber
What I meant was:

When you have a 'personality' in the radio, that defines the properties of one or more channels used by the radio, it has a selection drop-down for 'scanlist' that allows you to pick one scanlist for that personality. There is no physical way to select multiple scanlists for that personality, or to even change what scanlist it uses from the radio itself- that's all done in the CPS. A lot of radio models (especially older ones) don't even allow you to add or delete scanlist channels from the radio, that has to be done from CPS too.

Motorola radios aren't scanners. They're not designed for listening to tons of stuff in an easily configurable way on the fly.

They're functional. They're designed (especially ones like the CDMs that are marketed for business) to operate well on one main channel or on a few operations channels you probably don't have to fiddle with much, and MAYBE as an afterthought there should be a way to scan between them if you really need to.

They're designed for the way most users are... and most users don't even understand where the scan on/off button is. I get radios coming in to our shop all the time with the complaint listed as "JUMPS TO DIFFERENT CHANNEL".... so I push the scan button to turn the scanlist off and send it back.

dapaq2

15 + 1 is all the Waris radios are capable of scanning at once (15 chs in the list plus Selected).

My programming software for the CDM1550LS shows a maximum of 16 channels per scan list, not 15...

The CDM1550LS is a Waris radio???, What exactly is a Waris or what does it stand for?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
My programming software for the CDM1550LS shows a maximum of 16 channels per scan list, not 15...
Right, but if one of those members isn't <Selected> then you won't hear any traffic on the channel that you're currently parked on.
The CDM1550LS is a Waris radio???, What exactly is a Waris or what does it stand for?
It's Motorola's code name for what they publicly call the Professional series. They have code names for all of their lines, I believe: What does "MTSX" Mean? - Batboard

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Most Motorola users with two-way radios always place <Selected> in position #1 on the Scan List so that it is always the priority channel when scanning, presuming that you've enabled Priority Scan.

If you've done any reading in the forums or on the net learning about programming your 1550, you must have encountered the term by now. Just about every useful thread I've ever found about these radios references Waris sooner or later instead of Professional Series. Of course, that presumes you've done some reading on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.