Scanning South Dakota P25 System

FD21

Has anyone noticed that the new system does not have the reach the old system did. I used to be able to hear transmissions from Northern Hills Iinteragency etc along with Southern Hills (where I live) and as far east as the Philip tower. I could also listen to Rapid City Fire/EMS as well as Pennington County but now they only come in intermittently. Anyone have suggestions as to possible fixes?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. What model scanner(s) are you using? You could be facing simulcast distortion if monitoring with anything other than an SDS100 or SDS200 depending on your location relative to two or more towers on the Rapid City Simulcast (reference map below). Feel free to try these multipath mitigation methods to try and isolate the signal to one tower. They may or may not work...
1722791811393.png

Rlahey

Has anyone noticed that the new system does not have the reach the old system did. I used to be able to hear transmissions from Northern Hills Iinteragency etc along with Southern Hills (where I live) and as far east as the Philip tower. I could also listen to Rapid City Fire/EMS as well as Pennington County but now they only come in intermittently. Anyone have suggestions as to possible fixes?
I don’t think that it is a receive issue, I would suspect that people are not affiliating to those tower sites with those talk groups. Conversely, P25 systems can also limit what talk groups are on what tower, so they may be implementing that to help with tower congestion

ikm19

Feed provider and calls uploader
Premium Subscriber
I don’t think that it is a receive issue, I would suspect that people are not affiliating to those tower sites with those talk groups. Conversely, P25 systems can also limit what talk groups are on what tower, so they may be implementing that to help with tower congestion
This is correct. I have a specific example of this. when Custer county deputy takes a trip to Rapid City, he looses his regular channel, he has to switch to Southern hills channel to be able to talk to their own dispatch. their talk group is not able to roam to RC simulcast