Scans but won't receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklameatman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

My Pro-92 suddenly stopped receiving. Appears to "scan" but known transmissions aren't received. This happened shortly after a UHF handheld was keyed up very near the scanner. Is it possible to fry a scanner by using a radio very near the scanner?

w2xq

Mentor
It is entirely possible to damage the front-end circuitry of a scanner by a close transmitted signal. I've done it in the past. If you are repairing it yourself, a signal tracer may help narrow down the failed component. I think, for $20, RS service will evaluate and estimate the cost of repair. A store manager would have the details. HTH.

oklameatman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks. After posting I found numerous other posts of Pro 92s with identical symptoms...but without the interaction with a nearby radio. So now I'm thinking it's characteristic of this scanner model...and maybe the close transmission only facilitated an underlying flaw? Oh well...

w2xq

Mentor
Have any close lightning strikes occured following the last time you last listened to the scanner? It may be worth the $20 just to see if the radio is worth repairing.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 woes

Is the radio deaf on ALL bands? For example, can you receive NOAA Weather channels? There are very few components in the scanner that will kill ALL bands at the same time.

I have one PRO-92 that needs to be "warmed up". Yeah kind of like an old vacuum tube type receiver. When I first power it, nothing. Let it sit on the Wx channel and after a few minutes it works fine.

I've also traced out problems in this model scanner to be oxidization on the connectors that interconnect the circuit boards inside the scanner. My solution was to disassemble, clean with a pencil eraser, reassemble, listen.

oklameatman

Mine is opposite...warm ups are detrimental. After a long period of "off", when powered up it works fine. Give it a minute or so of NOAA it then goes silent. Strange.

No lightning by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.