Scantenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
btritch said:
what about this splitter for scanner? Will it work??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Circuits-Coax-Power-Splitter-Comb-BNC-ZFSC-2-2_W0QQitemZ310035922835QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310035922835

and I can't find RG 6 cable with PL259 or BNC connections. Just TV Coax connections? Adapter?

The splitter you linked to should work, based on the description.

You won't find RG-6 coax with PL-259 connectors, and very rarely with BNC. Just get some type "F" to BNC adapters, or type F to PL259. These are readily available at Radio Shack. Yes, adapters introduce loss, but not enough that your ears would notice any difference.

hoser147

btritch said:
I'm talking about using something to split it to two different parts of the house. My end of the house has the be closest and best because I'm the one that wants to hear the farthest away.. the other part of the house is a long ways BUT I'll just use the cable that's already being used there because they just want to hear locally in town anyway so that won't be a problem. I am using 75 ohm RG 58 Cable with BNC connectors on both ends. 75 feet to one room and 100 to the other and to split it off the antenna I'm using a cable with a PL259 connector on the antenna and splits two ways with PL259's on it. It's a cable usually used to hook two CB antenna's to one reciever but it's all I had at the time.. I need something to split two ways one of being the best..The other being not so important.. But I am using cable with both cables right now..Should I use just RG58? What should I use to split it off with? Is 75 & 100 feet runs too long?
Why not just run good cable to the part of the house that you use the most and use the stock antenna with the scanner you only want to listen to local stuff........hoser

btritch

hoser147 said:
Why not just run good cable to the part of the house that you use the most and use the stock antenna with the scanner you only want to listen to local stuff........hoser

thought about that too but I'd like to have both of them hooked up to it just in case..But if all else fails, That's what I'll do, I already thought about that...

I'm thinking though that I'll just run new good RG 6 cable from the antenna splitter to the MAIN room and then just go ahead and use the RG58 that I've already got run for the other end if it will work that way...I guess it'll be ok to run two different types of cables... I suppose it will be unless running two types of cable will cut loss on both cables...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.