Scantenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCC419

I'm looking into purchasing a antenna and I was considering the scantenna. Would like to hear from others who have it . Also I maybe looking at the diamond 500 also as a second choice.. And what kind of coax can you use, I heard lmr400 and beldon 9913 are very good....

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
I have used the 'Scantenna' (from Grove) for over a year now and it works very well. (with the supplied coax)

jgodeker

I don't think you can go wrong with a scantenna. I bought one from Grove and it came with 50' of coax at a reasonable price. In my area, I listen to VHF low band stuff and it has very good reception. I don't know what the specs are for higher freqs (800Mhz) since I don't have much of that in my region.

The antenna construction is reasonable for the price, I've had mine for over a year now and it's withstood harsh winters and high winds with no problems, but only time will tell on the lifespan.

J.

LesWurk

I've used one and while its performance was fine it didn't withstand the wind very well. The elements are thin walled aluminum with a seam like your average tv antenna. Also the plastic block broke on mine at one point also. I've repaired mine 4 times in 3 years and it needs to fixed again.

hoser147

With the added support mine has been up there for about 3 or 4 years without a problem. I really dont think that it would have made it that long with out it. The Scantenna made it thro 60+ winds and several ice storms. I wouldnt even bother to put one up with out the extra reinforcement....

JCC419

Thanks to all who replied, Its a big help.. I'm planning on montioring some 800 mhz trunking in my area thats why I was inquiring about different types of coax cable which may help with the performance

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have had 3 of the scanantenna's they work real good on reception but they do not last very long the wind will take a toll on them the elaments bend and break real easy.

I just bought a Firestik Railroad base antenna from CB world and i love it it is just a few $ more then the scanantenna and the reception on all bands i think is beter it costed me $64 with shipping it comes with the antenna which is high quality 50ft of coax and the pl259 to bnc connector.

It took about 15 min to put togather i have it only about 20ft off the ground i have my radioshcak antenna double that hight and the Firestik antenna is getting out the same distance at about half the height.

barryman

Premium Subscriber
My first Scanantenna did not stand up to the wind very good over a few years - like you said, took a toll on the elements, bending, breaking, etc.
I liked the antenna, so looked on Ebay, and found that they had improved on the design - same design, but stronger, thicker elements. Bought it, and it has been up for about a year now, and no problems, and have had some 50mph wind gusts. Good antenna!

SCPD

QRT
My first Scanantenna did not stand up to the wind very good over a few years - like you said, took a toll on the elements, bending, breaking, etc.
I liked the antenna, so looked on Ebay, and found that they had improved on the design - same design, but stronger, thicker elements. Bought it, and it has been up for about a year now, and no problems, and have had some 50mph wind gusts. Good antenna!

Thats good to know because that is why i did not buy it again was due to the elements breaking in the wind and i get heavy wind gusts where i am at.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I have had my scantenna ST-2 for about 2 and 1/2 years now and I have not a problem with the elements. I do have to go up on the roof to clean the conections about once a year but other the that I love it. It picks up the 800MHz truck systems pretty good. I live about 20 mins south of Hartfordm, CT and they are using the EDACS 800MHz system and I get them loud and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.