SDRplay RSP1A Slim Case

Cortexian

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is exactly the best forum category for this, please move if there's a better one!

I wasn't very happy with how bulky the RSP1A case was considering the size of the components included, so I designed a slimmer version that can be 3D printed! I also took the opportunity to move the antenna connector to the same side of the case as the USB port. Works better for my needs.

I was thinking about adding in some native options for wall mounting, perhaps some keyhole mounts on the bottom side in a couple of orientations that double as feet?

rCfu9Qz.png

Cortexian

Premium Subscriber
Nice work, Cortexian. Appreciate you sharing the file with us. (y)
Happy to contribute! The Foxwey FRSP-1-Pro looks pretty slim already, I've been thinking of trying one out but also confused as to the ports being on opposite sides of the chassis. Is this actually the preferred form factor for most people?

I'd be happy to build a version of this case for an FRSP-1 if you have a CAD model of the PCB and components I could reference, or if you can send me measurements or complete internals!

thewraith2008

You may which to be careful with the usage of the "SDRPlay" logo as this is a registered trademark.

Cortexian

Premium Subscriber
You may which to be careful with the usage of the "SDRPlay" logo as this is a registered trademark.
I considered this. This is a case that is only applicable to their own product, the alternatives are designs without any logos, or alternative logos on their product. Both alternatives are worse for their brand recognition and advertising.

If the SDRplay team has an issue with this, they are silly.

HamImports

For my particular setup (in a stack of other gear), I definitely prefer both sockets on the same side, but I can see why other people prefer them on opposite sides.

I don't have an FRSP-1 myself, but there are some CAD models out there: GitHub - EndlessEden/msiSDR: A SDR PCB project base on msi2500 and msi001

I agree that there shouldn't be a problem using the SDRplay logo on a non-commercial case for an SDRplay product. If you started selling them, it might be different.

thewraith2008

Probably asking them (SDRPlay) directly would be the best thing to do.

I see the metal case for the RSP1A offered by the rtl-sdr people don't use the SDRPlay logo.
  • Search down page for "RSP1A Metal Enclosure Upgrade and Carry Bag" to find it if you want to look at it.
  • This item is out of stock, but I see it also has both connectors available on one side.

HamImports

I see the metal case for the RSP1A offered by the rtl-sdr people don't use the SDRPlay logo.
This is a commercial product, being offered for sale, so as you point out, should not use the trademark of another entity without prior permission.

However, the clue is in the name; "trademark" - Cortexian's design is not for sale, there's no "trade" here, so is not an infringement. Think of it like this: You could happily paint the Coca-Cola logo on your kitchen wall without permission, but if you wanted to start selling Coca-Cola branded can openers, you would need to license the trademark.*

*Not legal advice. Terms & conditions may apply. Your radios and kidneys may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments.

Cortexian

Premium Subscriber
I've updated the model and added a version with feet and key hole slots for wall mounting in two orientations (horizontal with logo oriented up, or vertical with connectors up). Also included a version of the top without a logo just in case SDRplay has issues with it for some weird reason.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Oh, this is so cool! Printing this up in a different color, possibly matching my wall might be just the ticket! Having the power and antenna connections on the same side is great too. I do have a couple of questions, considering my RSP1 has not arrived yet.

1) Does the reduced space in the cabinet increase operating temperature?
2) Does the original case have shielding inside? If so, is there enough room to add some in this case?
3) Does it require a thermal pad to help dissipate heat?

Cortexian

Premium Subscriber
I suppose it would technically increase operating temperature, however I've run my RSP1A indoors for days in this new enclosure with minimal, if any, heat build-up on the case. No impact to performance from what I can tell.

There is no shielding in the original case, unless it is moulded into the original plastic shell.

No thermal pad required, the RSP1A is very low-heat to begin with.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I suppose it would technically increase operating temperature, however I've run my RSP1A indoors for days in this new enclosure with minimal, if any, heat build-up on the case. No impact to performance from what I can tell.

There is no shielding in the original case, unless it is moulded into the original plastic shell.

No thermal pad required, the RSP1A is very low-heat to begin with.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Good to know. I really like your design, especially the way to hang it on the wall.