SDR's vs. Hardware Scanners/Receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
LOL, well played. :) I take it that's a no then?

If so then I'll be sticking with DSD+. I simply don't have the time or inclination to do more battle with Linux. Maybe I'm just becoming an old fart like my father, but I don't spend much time fixing what isn't broken. ;) I don't mind going over Scott's "OP25 for dummies" guide to provide feedback on that, but as a permanent go-forward solution, it's just not viable for me and what I'm doing if I can't run it on Windows.

-AZ

Last edited:

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
If you continue to view Linux as an obstacle, rather than a tool, then you're better off staying with Windows.

I'm the Scott that Max has been referring to on the op25-dev list. I do not have much experience with Linux myself. I've toyed with various distros over the past 20 years or so. But it's mostly been a "curious observer" type of thing. So I consider myself just as inexperienced as everyone else here, with the exception Max of course. Linux has never been something that I've needed before. That has recently changed.

I can't recommend any particular Linux flavor because I don't know the differences. I will say this about Ubuntu, the Unity interface blows goats. Seriously, these people need to be tarred for coming up with such a hideous interface. Popup window sliders?? C'mon!

If you know how to navigate a file system(any OS) from a command line, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting around in Linux. It's just a matter of getting used to where things are located. A good understanding of how computers work, and how to trouble shoot things are a huge advantage. For anyone that doesn't have these basic skills are going to run into issues.

Pay attention to the directories you're in when pulling in a repository and compiling packages. Some things will live in those directories after you compile. For example. I created directories under the 'Downloads' folder in my home directory. For each package I installed, I created new directories and sub-folders for dependencies. Needless to say, the directory structure goes deep(not deap!) and is a PITA to navigate. If you understand what environment variables are and what they're used for, then you can probably move things around after the fact. So far it hasn't been an issue that needs to be corrected yet...

You don't need to have programming experience to use GNURadio or any of the third party add-ons. But if you do have some knowledge, it might come in handy if you run into issues. I'm not a programmer in the traditional sense, but I can hack away at things pretty good.. :)

If you're going to make a serious run at getting GNURadio and OP25 installed and running, don't halfass it. Stop fooling around with Virtual Machines, and repartitioning hard drives and the like. Do not install any pre-installed versions of GNURadio on a DVD, they're most likely obsolete. Build a dedicated box(or good laptop with USB 2.0 support for RTL dongles) for the sole purpose of playing around with SDR stuff. I'm using a basic AMD Athlon 64 2.4GHz single core processor with 2GB of ram. Hardly the powerhouse setup, but works good enough to gain the experience.

The initial install process I went through turned out to be wrong. I read everything I could find about installing GNURadio and more important to me, OP25. I thought I had all the info I needed, which I did, but it turned out that some things were obsolete. I took the scenic route and installed everything including the required dependencies manually. This process is no longer needed. GNURadio has gone through some major changes with the latest versions. They've created an installation/updater application called PyBOMBS that takes care of everything for you. No more trial and error installs.

I'll post the steps needed to install everything in a new post. I already posted them to the op25-dev group because someone asked. Nobody has spoken up about it's validity however. So don't take it as a definitive guide, they're just the very basic steps it took me to get there. This post has gone on way too long and I want to get on with my life.. heh

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
You first have to choose an operating system. I chose the latest stable release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. That is available here: Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

There is nothing remarkable about installing the OS, it's pretty straight forward...

The OP25 wiki specifies a GNURadio version of 3.6 and higher. I chose to install the latest, v3.7 from the 'Installing From Source' method. Knowing what I know now, you can skip that step and go straight to installing from the PyBombs repository. This will install v3.7 of GNURadio and all it's dependencies. This will save you about two hours, as the GNURadio install takes this long to complete. PyBombs takes just as long.

From the 'PyBOMBS GNU Radio Build Quick Start' page:

git clone git://github.com/pybombs/pybombs
cd pybombs
./pybombs install gnuradio

Assuming everything installs without errors, you should have a working copy of GNURadio installed.

Now we need to pull in the OP25 source and the max-trunking-update1 branch:

git clone git://op25.osmocom.org/op25.git
cd op25
git checkout max-trunking-update1

There are two recipe files(pybombs install scripts), gr-op25.lwr and libitpp.lwr that you need to copy from op25/pybombs/recipes directory into the pybombs/recipes installation directory from above. There will already be a 'libitpp.lwr' dependency file in the pybombs/recipes dir, you can either rename it to something else(change the extension), or overwrite it like I did. Once you've copied the files to the pybombs/recipes directory, you need to go to the pybombs installation dir and execute the following command: ./pybombs install gr-op25

Note: The 'libitpp.lwr' file may not be needed from the OP25 recipe directory. With the inclusion of this file now in the new GNURadio package makes Max's file obsolete. Try it without copying this file first, I'm sure Max would appreciate the feedback on this.

If everything installs without issue, you now need to set up the runtime environment variables in order to run the OP25 scripts. You should still be in the /pybombs install location, now execute the following command: ./pybombs env

This will print out some paths to various things and a location to a shell script that will set these same variables. Execute this script as follows:
source /foo/bar/setup_env.sh (use the path that actually prints out on your screen!)

That's it, good luck!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Well from one Scott to another, welcome to the mix! Your input is greatly appreciated. As mentioned before I've got a nice fresh copy of Linux Mint Cinammon 16 64 bit installed, and other than the 90 or so second delay before it decides it wants to recognize my wireless keyboard and mouse, it seems to be running quite nicely.

Given that Mint is Ubuntu based and already installed, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens....

pybombs.....hmmm.....

Somehow I knew there'd be bombs involved in this at some point....

I'm off to give this a try, using the words of the immortal Larry Fine of Three Stooges fame as inspiration....."this ain't gonna work....WE'LL HAVE TO BLAST!!!"

:D

KA1RBI

I take it that's a no then?

(snipped)

if I can't run it on Windows.

-AZ

Haven't kept up - but I believe GNU Radio 3.7 itself has been successfully run on windows. If so there's nothing in theory that would prevent anyone from bringing up a windows port of gr-op25. This is so because all source code is published. As far as I know that's not the case with DSD+

Max

KC1UA

Database Admin
Haven't kept up - but I believe GNU Radio 3.7 itself has been successfully run on windows. If so there's nothing in theory that would prevent anyone from bringing up a windows port of gr-op25. This is so because all source code is published. As far as I know that's not the case with DSD+

Max

I was pointed to the Ettus Research builds of GNURadio, which apparently they regularly update for Windows. It's something I may try at some point. I was going to start IT tonight until the other Scott (the one that has his sh*t together far more than me for this project) dropped in with his info. I may still.

EDIT: Might be nice to include the link, eh? http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki/GNURadio_Windows

Right now it's "bombs away"....or pybombs. The install is running merrily away...so far.

I would note that at the outset in the step after "./pybombs install gnuradio" I was prompted for numerous options, with a default for each. Because I don't have any clue as to what the hell I'm doing, I chose the defaults.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Well it appears that I have successfully installed gnuradio. I can run GRC and see the "main screen" as I learned about when I ran it in Kali Linux.

This will print out some paths to various things and a location to a shell script that will set these same variables. Execute this script as follows:
source /foo/bar/setup_env.sh (use the path that actually prints out on your screen!)

I did this and simply was returned to the prompt. Is that normal or did I miss something? Other than that the install seemed to go fine.

Now, I don't see any "sources" in GRC....I ASSume this means I need to go find some, like install the necessary drivers for my RTL dongle to function. Or...am I missing something obvious? Just posting my basic success....going in to poke around more now.

Scott, that's awesome and a great start to making it simple. Thanks.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
I did this and simply was returned to the prompt. Is that normal or did I miss something? Other than that the install seemed to go fine.
That's normal.. all that did was set some environment variables.

Now, I don't see any "sources" in GRC....I ASSume this means I need to go find some, like install the necessary drivers for my RTL dongle to function. Or...am I missing something obvious? Just posting my basic success....going in to poke around more now.
Did you install the OP25 source? I'm not sure if GNURadio comes with the osmocom RTL stuff or not. I never thought to check before installing OP25. Try this from the command prompt:

osmocom_fft -a rtl=0 -v -f 853.275e6 -s 2.4e6 -g 49 -c 61 --dc-offset-mode=0 --iq-balance-mode=0 -W

Change -c paramter to your desired ppm setting, and the center frequency to what ever you want to. If you omit the -c (ppm correction) parameter, you won't see the slider associated with the ppm setting in the UI. Same applies with the dc and iq parameters.

You should get a waterfall display of the selected spectrum similar to what you'd see in SDR#.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I installed OP25 but without the libitpp.lwr file as you suggested.

When I run the osmocom_fft at the terminal prompt I see "osmocom_fft: command not found".

Guess I ain't quite there yet!

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Try something like this to see if the dongle is working:

rtl_fm -f 99.5e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE

I decided to try this on my old Manjaro laptop. Most stuff was in the repos so everything is working :D. The 99.5 up above is an fm channel, change it to suite you :D.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Nope, it skipped a line and returned me to the prompt.

On another note, I just installed "gqrx" as I'm vaguely familiar with it. Of course I can't get IT to run but now I see a sources category in gnuradio that lists osmocom source and RTL-SDR source.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Try something like this to see if the dongle is working:

rtl_fm -f 99.5e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE

I decided to try this on my old Manjaro laptop. Most stuff was in the repos so everything is working :D. The 99.5 up above is an fm channel, change it to suite you :D.

rtl_fm: command not found
aplay: playback:2715: read error

Methinks I have some missing "stuff"... :)

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
rtl_fm: command not found
aplay: playback:2715: read error

Methinks I have some missing "stuff"... :)

I suggested Arch or Manjaro earlier in this thread. GNURadio and RTL-SDR are in the repos. It was easy to get running :D. I would suggest Manjaro, easier to use and Arch at the core. Might make life much easier.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
scancapecod said:
Nope, it skipped a line and returned me to the prompt.
That's not good..

scancapecod said:
Of course I can't get IT to run but now I see a sources category in gnuradio that lists osmocom source and RTL-SDR source.

Was there anything after the pybombs install that resembled a failed install?

Try this.. go to the pybombs/recipes directory and see if there is a file called gr-osmosdr.lwr there. If so, back out to the pybombs directory and type: ./pybombs install gr-osmosdr

Report the results..

KC1UA

Database Admin
Looks like it's already installed. I figured out how to do this already and tried rtl-sdr.lwr as well but it indicated the same, already installed.

RadioTuner, I know you recommended the other two flavors of Linux, and you may well be correct, but it also seems to me that lots of success stories exist with Ubuntu and Mint...so for now that's where I am. I may yet go the other way if this ultimately doesn't work out.

Here are the results of your instructions, Scott:

scott@RADIOSERVER ~/pybombs $ ./pybombs install gr-osmosdr
Settled on prefix: /home/scott/target
Initializing environmental variables...
/home/scott/target/python/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.6/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.6/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.7/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.7/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/python/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.6/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.6/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.7/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/:/home/scott/target/lib64/python2.7/dist-packages/
---------- loading recipes -------------------
Loading recipes ...
Loading recipes ... done
---------- loading recipes finished ----------

checking for gr-osmosdr
True
gr-osmosdr already installed
scott@RADIOSERVER ~/pybombs $

KC1UA

Database Admin
I'll pick up on this again tomorrow; we're in the middle of a blizzard here on Cape Cod and I'm going to have an early and not smooth start in the AM.

If I have to blow this out and start over again it's no big deal. I'm not running anything other than this project in it anyway.

One thing I notice....not sure where the "/home/scott/target came from....maybe that's normal?

I did see a few fail messages during the gnuradio install but frankly stuff was flying by on the screen so fast it's hard to provide any specifics.

Thanks again for all of the help.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
I'll poke around a bit and see if I can come up with something. A pybombs recipe won't install until the dependencies are met. Your log of the osmocom package suggest it is already installed so the dependency rtl-sdr must be too...

I remember seeing some warnings, but I don't recall seeing any errors. I think you may have a path problem. We'll pick it up again tomorrow..

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
The easiest thing to do would be to write a bash script to automate the install. Of course someone whos using Ununtu/Mint would have to write the script.

Scripting is easy enough to make it really worth the time to write (I would but I don't use any of the buntu type distribuitions).

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
The bash script(setup_env.sh) gets written to the target directory when you execute the pybombs sub command ./pybombs env

It's up to you to run it..

Status
Not open for further replies.