Sds 100 battery life

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a sds100 it has the bps100 extended battery. So it doesn't charge beyond 4.12v does this mean the battery needs to be replaced or is this the current voltage for fully charged?

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
My unit is about 4 years old now with the same battery, and its level level fully charged has always read 4.1v.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
My use of the radio is intermittent and then for relatively short periods, so if it was on continuously I can't say how long the battery would last on a single charge.

teedee911

Longtime Member
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a sds100 it has the bps100 extended battery. So it doesn't charge beyond 4.12v does this mean the battery needs to be replaced or is this the current voltage for fully charged?
My SDS100 is just over 3 years old, I take it with me in the car all the time because I'm not comfortable leaving my SDS200 in the car. I'd say to this day I still get around 5 (maybe 6) hours of use on single charge with the volume at 30%. On average I'd say it's on 20 hours a week.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve always used 4 hours max as a rule of thumb. Anything longer and I take a spare battery.

Originally, Uniden gave its dealers a peek at the radio, before production, an add that showed the SDS100 with an optional double A battery sleeve. The preliminary add was NOT supposed to be anything but a preview, NOT the finished product, and NOT for release to the general public. But it was pushed out by one dealer by mistake. Uniden realized early on the double A idea would not work given the additional power the software defined radio (SDR) would need. So they settled upon the smaller lithium ion battery which gave maybe 2-3,hours of play time) and afterwards offered the larger LI battery (at no charge which improved usage time to something more respectable, like 4-6 hours), presently offered as the standard battery. All because the radio case chosen was the same as what Uniden uses for its VHF Marine handheld transceiver. (If it wasn’t the same case, ok, I stand corrected. But it looks surprisingly like that Marine transceiver.)

Dewey

Here we go again, the know-all all to go outside of the OP. Cobra_Commander, your battery should be at or very close to fully charged if you're showing 4.12. You should expect to get somewhere between 5 or 6 and even up to 8 hours of use depending on your environment. Things like scanning verses just sitting on a channel, conventional verses trunked, amount of reception, volume will also factor into your use.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Hours on a fully charged battery is highly dependant upon how you use the radio as Dewey has stated. My 4 hour estimate is just what I use when I’m running solely on battery. If my outing is expected to run over 4 hours I’ve got a spare. (But I’ve gotten into the habit of carrying an extra anyways.) My batteries have been working since I first got the scanner back when they were introduced. So, my batteries may be showing their age. But since they still work… but it’s always a good idea to have a spare, if for no other reason than they just plain quit, for whatever reason. In my case it’s old age.

Ubbe

The backlight takes 50mA and the scanner 750mA while scanning and 850mA when listening to a call at max volume with the display on.

The small battery have a 3600mAH capacity and the big one 5400mAH.

3600/750=4 hours at the most and 5400/750=7 hours. Display on and constant audio at full blast equals 5400/850=6 hours if the battery are in a good condition. If the display are set to only turn on at activity and it's a 50/50 time between scan and activity you will gain 15 minutes extra compared to have it on constantly, and 30 minutes if you turn the display off permanently and only listen to the audio.

/Ubbe

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Mine has pretty much been right at 6.5 hours since day one, going on 5 years now.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I’m too lazy to look it up and do not own an SDS, but what is the spec’d current draw and the battery mA capacity? How close does real world use match up?